to-may-toe, to-mah-toe

kuulani

"to-may-toe, to-mah-toe ... po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe."

seriously people, i have never heard anyone ever pronounce it "to-mah-toe" or "po-tah-toe." have you? :lloyd:

[Robin Williams]Look out! A Gren-ahd![/Robin Williams]

*you say Gren-ay-da I say Gren-ah-da*

*Had extry mayters on his salad for lunch*

It's taters and maters here too. Never heard anyone call them tamahtoes.

yes, but they were british :lloyd:
my family too, I'm lucky to have escaped lol.

here they're to-may-does.

i work in a restaurant in georgia that serves both. i hear tom-may-toe and tom-mah-toe but always pot-tay-toe...that's because the british customers i have seem to enjoy calling them "hash browns" not "hashbrowns" like it's suppose to be but 2 different distinct words.

tonksy said:
i work in a restaurant in georgia that serves both. i hear tom-may-toe and tom-mah-toe but always pot-tay-toe...that's because the british customers i have seem to enjoy calling them "hash browns" not "hashbrowns" like it's suppose to be but 2 different distinct words.
cause...it is 2 different distinct words? where I come from anyway :confuse3:

HashBrowns.JPG

Down under we say to-mah-toe, but we don't say po-tah-toe. I've never heard anyone say potato like that. It's always po-tay-toe.

My grandparents and half of their children do :blank:

"c'mon Lessie, help me peel the potahtoes for dinner, there's a good lass."

[geek]The whole aluminum/aluminium thing is the fault of the bleedin' stupid scientist who first officially discovered and named the stuff (who's name I currently forget :blush: ) Apparently even he couldn't decide the correct spelling and both versions appeared in many of his reports/publications etc. Just for the record tho', it first apeared as aluminium so we are right and you lot are wrong :p [/geek]

As for the differences between pronunciations trans-atlantic....I think comedian Eddie Izzard described it best during one of his US tours...

And we do pronounce things in a different way! Like you say ‘caterpillar’ and we say ‘caterpillar.’ And, uh… No, you say ‘a-*loo*-min-um,’ we say ‘a-loo-*min*-yum. You say ‘cen-*tri*-fugal,’ we say ‘centri-*fu*-gal.” You say ‘leisure!’ We say ‘lie-sur-eye-ay.’ Uhh, uh, you say ‘bay-sil’, we say ‘bah-sil,’ and you say ‘erbs,’ and we say ‘herbs!’…because there’s a fucking ‘h’ in it.

:D

Back