to-may-toe, to-mah-toe

tonksy said:
i work in a restaurant in georgia that serves both. i hear tom-may-toe and tom-mah-toe but always pot-tay-toe...that's because the british customers i have seem to enjoy calling them "hash browns" not "hashbrowns" like it's suppose to be but 2 different distinct words.

Yum, hashbrowns . . . :licklips:

Scattered, smothered, diced, and covered, please, ma'am . . .

To-mah-toes and po-tay-toes... but I am British...

Never heard po-tah-toes before... well... from anyone not trying to lighten the mood in kitchen at Christmas!!!

Stop Laughing said:
hehe, you should've heard my brother talk after his trip to Boston a few years ago. Chowdah's never been the same since. :D

Hence the very popular perjorative "chowdah-head." For some reason, people from the greater Bah-stun area seem to take offense. :shrug:

chcr said:
Hence the very popular perjorative "chowdah-head." For some reason, people from the greater Bah-stun area seem to take offense. :shrug:

This reminds me of my brother's cellphone answering machine message

"Hey, you've reached your's trully, I'm out gettin' a herosandwich and maybe a soda. So, call back and leave a message and if ya don't you can go right back to Jersey where ya came from...chowdah-head!"

chcr said:

i was born and lived for many years in nyc... went to high school in connecticut... and now live in boston... everyone says i have an accent, but no one can quite say what it is :hmm:

though i know 'yankey' is good enough for some :rolleyes:

Nixy said:
This reminds me of my brother's cellphone answering machine message

"Hey, you've reached your's trully, I'm out gettin' a herosandwich and maybe a soda. So, call back and leave a message and if ya don't you can go right back to Jersey where ya came from...chowdah-head!"

But chowdah-heads ain't from Joisey. :D

Back