Today we vote for new president

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexicans voted for a new president on Sunday, torn between joining a resurgent left-wing camp in Latin America or sticking to pro-business policies and a close alliance with the United States.

In a country crucial to U.S. interests in border security, trade and immigration, polls show an extremely close race between leftist anti-poverty crusader Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, the former mayor of Mexico City, and conservative Felipe Calderon from the ruling party.

Lopez Obrador, 52, headed opinion polls by about only 2 points after almost six months of bruising campaigning that split a country still finding its feet with full democracy after seven decades of one-party rule ended in 2000.

The leftist, who rejects comparisons to U.S. foe Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, promises to slash bureaucracy to pay for welfare programs he says will lift millions out of poverty.

"We've done it," shouted some 20 supporters as Lopez Obrador voted near his modest apartment in the capital.

The leftist, looking uncomfortable wearing a black leather jacket in the heat, had to wait in line while the polling station opened an hour late. There were delays at booths around the country.

In the border city of Nuevo Laredo, scores of Mexicans streamed over the Rio Grande from Texas to vote, many seeking a crackdown on drug gang violence that has killed some 1,000 people throughout the country this year.

Former energy minister Calderon, 43, says Lopez Obrador would overspend on ambitious social programs and huge projects like a bullet train from the capital to the U.S. border.

Reuters

BBC

I really hope Lopez Obrador does not win. It took him 14 years to finish uni, did nothing to improve the safety of Mexico City and implemented a program to give money to the poor.

Pick a good one. Please. We'll try harder next time...I promise.

This isn't looking good :(

The official result with 45.34% of the votes computed is:
PAN 38.01% (Felipe Calderon)
PRD 35.80% (Lopez Obrador)

Even with those results (which are not definitive), Lopez Obrador just proclaimed himself winner and demanded that the Federal Electoral Institute respects that.

As of now, with 96.01% computed:
PAN 36.45%
PRD 35.41%

Looks like we won :D :D

Had heard on the radio they are pointing fingers and saying thar is chaiting doing on...

Does that sound familiar?

Considering that each party has a representative at each voting house, there's little room for cheating. They monitor the vote counting, certify the voting summaries and verify the act.

Back