Too gay to drive in Italy

MrBishop

Only in the land where the term "Macho" ws coined.
ROME (Reuters) - An Italian court has ruled the government must pay 100,000 euros ($157,700) in damages to a man who was told to retake a driving test because he was homosexual.

When 26 year-old Danilo Giuffrida told doctors he was gay at his medical examination for military service, they passed the information to the transport ministry, who told him he must repeat his driving test or have his license withdrawn due to his "sexual identity disturbance."

Giuffrida agreed to re-take his test, passed it for a second time, but the ministry renewed his license for just one year rather than the usual 10 years because of his homosexuality.

The judge ruling on the case in Catania, on the southern island of Sicily, said the actions of the defense and transport ministries showed "evident sexual discrimination" against Giuffrida and ran counter to his constitutional rights.

The behavior of the ministries led Giuffrida to have "a grave sense of mistrust towards the state," added the judge, who ordered them to pay him 100,000 euros of damages in his verdict issued on Saturday.
Giuffrida's lawyer said the case marked the first time the state had been punished for sexual discrimination, and he hoped Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi would "summon Giuffrida and apologize to him on behalf of the state and all Italians."

Giuffrida said the sentence was "a step forwards for civil rights because from now on what happened to me can't happen again."
Reuters

annoyed_with_aliens.gif

We'll all wait while the world spends itself apologizing. Homosexuality was, and in many places still is, considered a mental illness. I don't see the world getting in line to hold the hand of the manic depressive, the bipolar, or the delusional .. but this self same law applies to them. Where's the outrage for them?

Right. I didn't think so.

We'll all wait while the world spends itself apologizing. Homosexuality was, and in many places still is, considered a mental illness. I don't see the world getting in line to hold the hand of the manic depressive, the bipolar, or the delusional .. but this self same law applies to them. Where's the outrage for them?

Don't know about you, but I see plenty of delusional, bipolar and manic depressive drivers on my way to work each day. Nothing stopping them from getting a license. :shrug:

Where'd you get the last bit about this law applying to them? Or even this being a law, and not just 'the opinion of the employee grading the test'?
Homosexuality was removed from the 'mental illness' list decades ago.

Don't know about you, but I see plenty of delusional, bipolar and manic depressive drivers on my way to work each day. Nothing stopping them from getting a license. :shrug:

Where'd you get the last bit about this law applying to them? Or even this being a law, and not just 'the opinion of the employee grading the test'?
Homosexuality was removed from the 'mental illness' list decades ago.

Not everywhere. You continually try to apply your laws with everyone elses.

Still being an ass, I see.

Not everywhere. You continually try to apply your laws with everyone elses.
If by "My laws", you mean the International Association of Psychiatry and Psychology... I guess.

As far as I know, homosexuality isn't considered a mental illness in Italy. Listing it with such known mental illnesses such as bipolarism et al, is just Prof's cute way of creating guilt by association. *in this case, using them in the same sentence*

Kind of like I've seen numerous times before... here and elsewhere. Homosexuality with pedophilia, Homosexuality and bestiality..necrophilia etc etc...
:shrug:

We'll all wait while the world spends itself apologizing. Homosexuality was, and in many places still is, considered a mental illness.

People have gotten a little smarter since then. All kinds of stupid shit used to go on.

People were even burned as witches.

Now we know it's bigots that have mental issues.

People have gotten a little smarter since then. All kinds of stupid shit used to go on.

People were even burned as witches.

Now we know it's bigots that have mental issues.

bigots? i mean come on, it's totally the liberal democrats' fault! :la:

bigots? i mean come on, it's totally the liberal democrats' fault! :la:

Bigotry is something niether side can refute. After all...Who is the bigger bigot; the racist who says you can't because of your race/lifestyle, or the "liberal" who decides that you need their help because of the same issue? Personally, I'd rather deal with the asshole who is up-front about his bigotry than the hypocrite who claims to be for you and only pays lip service.

Bigotry is something niether side can refute. After all...Who is the bigger bigot; the racist who says you can't because of your race/lifestyle, or the "liberal" who decides that you need their help because of the same issue? Personally, I'd rather deal with the asshole who is up-front about his bigotry than the hypocrite who claims to be for you and only pays lip service.

:thumbup:

Back