Ethan
Matthew
Nicholas
Joshua
Ryan
Michael
Zachary
Tyler

Aidan? I've never met an Aidan in my life.
Ethan? Only in the movies.
Zachary? Tyler? It sounds like old presidents.
Isabella? ...for that old school monarchist charm

tonksy

i used to work at a daycare....that list reads like the roll book.
incidently...i like the name aidan....

BeardofPants

The only Aiden I ever knew had a ginormous dimple in his chin that looked like a certain part of the female anatomy.

chcr

Too cute for words
I saw a really good comedy bit once about boys' names. The comedian was complaining that nobody names their kids Stan or Butch or Nick anymore. "Who the hell am I going to borrow a hammer from in twenty years? Hey Tyler, got a ten inch crescent wrench on ya?"

Can't remember the comic now.

Also, do you notice that even though Michael is still a popular name, you don't call them "Mike" anymore?

A.B.Normal

Aiden Quinn is an actor ,so I've heard of at least one ,but never met one.All the rest are familiar names ,even if I haven't come in contact with them personally.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I know within 2 steps at least one of each name, most are in the plural though.

and I would normally be getting huffy about the Zachary comment, but I have a fever and am not feeling well...so I just don't have the energy.

tonksy

chcr said:
I saw a really good comedy bit once about boys' names. The comedian was complaining that nobody names their kids Stan or Butch or Nick anymore. "Who the hell am I going to borrow a hammer from in twenty years? Hey Tyler, got a ten inch crescent wrench on ya?"

Can't remember the comic now.

Also, do you notice that even though Michael is still a popular name, you don't call them "Mike" anymore?
george carlin ;)

unclehobart

All of the modern day kids I know named Nicholas go by the full Nicholas. Noone uses Nick anymore. The same goes for Joshua. Whatever happend to Josh?

tonksy

we just use the first syllable of their names...hell, i'm lucky to get their names right at times :sick:as horrible as that sounds...but...ask most parents of multiple children...especially so close in age and i bet they do it too.

Camelyn

tonks said:
ask most parents of multiple children...especially so close in age and i bet they do it too.

Gods, not only do I mix up their names, I've used other friends and family names on them too. Man, 4 year olds just discoverig their identity get *pissed* at that :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My mom will sometimes rhyme off all her brother's names, half her nephew's names, and my name before getting my brother's :D

And Unc, it's understandable if you don't know people by those names...those are the most popular names for babies born in 2003...there are different names for each age group that are most popular...new names emerge all the time...DUH

greenfreak

My sister Rose just told me a few days ago that she's pregnant again. Her boys are Ryan and Jack, I told her to consider Clancy or Harrison for the third boy to keep the theme goin. ;)

For girls names, she's thinking of Katherine Rose or Olivia Rae. I've always loved Emma, Morgan, Sabrina, Erin and Shawn for girls. I'm not good with boy names though, they never seem to have as much flair. But my coworker's son's name is Grayson, I though that was a pretty cool name.

Our family uses shortened names for everyone so it has to be a good long name and short name. Katherine=Kate or Katie, Olivia=Liv or Livvy.

unclehobart

Nix, I wasn't speaking of my contemporaries. I'm speaking of the friends of my friends kids as well as my friends kids and whatnot.

This would be my world:
1 Michael Lisa
2 David Jennifer
3 John Michelle
4 Robert Kimberly
5 James Maria
6 William Melissa
7 Richard Amy
8 Christopher Mary
9 Mark Elizabeth
10 Brian Karen

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The reason my son's name is Coven is to avoid any confusion (the first list sounded like his public school roster, except Olivia & Aidan)

Camelyn

I just did an informal survey, I asked my daughters to tell me the names of some kids at their schools. Not sure if I spelled them all right, but I got:

Kahalia
Deshawn
Nickolas
Chantal
Siobahn
Luca
Michael
Liam
Zachary
Quinn
Shari
Matthew
Chris
Karim
Benoit
Laura
Kiara
Sheldon
Remi

We live in the city in what one would term a "culturally diverse" neighbourhood. I like that my kids experience that.

FluerVanderloo

Kids in my school include:

Jess, Jessie, Jessica
Ashley
Heather
Jen
Megan

Shawn, Shaun
Luke
Jason
Mike
Mark

As for my kids, IF I ever have any, if it's a boy: Alastair girl: Victoria
I won't allow Ally or Vicki, because my kid will be spoiled and very proper, so no nicknames.

I'm gonna be a strict mother I think. Or I'll have some snobby ass kids.

Dave

just think, in 60 years or so, those names will be considered old fashioned. nursing homes will be filled with Madisons and Kaitlyns and Aidens and Ethans