top flicks of the last 25 years/ Brit critics picks

unclehobart

COPPOLA TAKES PLAUDITS
Francis Ford Coppola's brutal Vietnam classic Apocalypse Now has been named the greatest film of the past 25 years by movie experts.

The movie - based on Joseph Conrad's literary classic Heart of Darkness - was chosen by a panel of 50 British critics and film writers.

Highest ranking British movie was Terence Davies's Distant Voices, Still Lives at number nine in the poll organised by the British Film Institute's Sight & Sound magazine.

Runner-up

Martin Scorsese's Raging Bull was runner-up in the list while Ingmar Bergman's Fanny And Alexander came third.

Brit Director Ridley Scott's Blade Runner comes in at number seven.

Films dating from January 1978 to this year were eligible so the much-loved Star Wars fell just outside the time limit.

Apocalypse Now features famed scenes such as Martin Sheen's genuinely drunken rampage where he trashes a room.

Valkyries

Other notable sequences include Robert Duvall's famous declaration "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" before his gunships blast a village while blasting Ride of the Valkyries from speakers.

Nick James, editor of Sight & Sound, said: "As film history now spans over 100 years it's almost impossible to compile a list of top films.

"In this new poll we wanted to free people up from choosing the established classics like Citizen Kane and let them concentrate on recent cinema."

Top Ten:

1. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
2. Raging Bull (Martin Scorsese, 1980)
3. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
4. GoodFellas (Martin Scorsese, 1990)
5. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
6. Do the Right Thing (Spike Lee, 1989)
7. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
8. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-Wai, 1994)
9. Distant Voices Still Lives (Terence Davies, 1988)
10= Once upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone, 1983)
10 = A One and a Two... (Edward Yang, 1999)

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12162396,00.html

Ive seen: 1,2,4,5,7

5, 6, 7, and 10a...

Personally, I liked Once Upon a Time in the West better than Once Upon a Time in America. :eh:

Francis Ford Coppola is an excellent director. I loved his adaption of "Dracula". :) Combining history and myth like that was quite inspired in my opinion.

7. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982) is my favourite in that collection, inspired by the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick. I like the director's cut best.

If I had to pick a recent film - I'd say A.I.-Artifical Intelligence was an interesting take on the theme.

Apocalypse Now is a great movie, watched it 3 times or so. A well deserved first place :)
Even though there are a lot of other really great movies :)

4. That's it.

I really need to start renting better movies. :eek:

I didn't see the Godfather series until last year... at which time I realized that there were so many references to that movie that I've seen and heard over the years-I should have seen it years ago.

Dang, Trish... go rent Raging Bull and Goodfellas right.... now!.. Leave work ... chase the brass ring of enlightenment... become one with the celluloid.

sorry.. meant Blue Velvet. Thats one seriously freaky flick. Blue Velvet made Twin Peaks look positively plain.

her:'I missed you baby'
him:'It's daddy, shithead! Wheres my burbon? DON"T LOOK AT ME!'

'Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!'

'Lets fuck!... I'll fuck anything that moves!'

Frank Booth: You wanna go for a ride?
Jeffery Beaumont: No thanks.
Frank Booth: No thanks. What does that mean?
Jeffery Beaumont: I don't want to go.
Frank Booth: Go where?
Jeffery Beaumont: On a ride.
Frank Booth: A ride? Hell, that's a good idea. Okay, let's go. Hey, let's go.

Frank Booth: Don't toast to my health, toast to my fuck!

Frank Booth: I'll send you a love letter! Straight from my heart, fucker! You know what a love letter is? It's a bullet from a fucking gun, fucker! You receive a love letter from me, you're fucked forever! You understand, fuck? I'll send you straight to hell, fucker!

i enjoyed both his version of dracula and also apocolypse now although ill stick with the book heart of darkness.im suprised that Apocolypse now won. but it is a great movie. I love the surfing sargent. plus the ever popular quote(i know wrong thread but this is a classic) I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

We're going to see White Oleander tomorrow, can't spend that much money in one weekend. Rusty's job contract was up Oct 31st and he's got freelance work to last at least till December 15th but we're tightening our belts. Again. At least we have a nice chunk in our savings account this time though and I got a promotion and raise that takes effect Jan1. :shrug:

Back