Translate some Latin

JJR512

"AMERATUS PATHUM LABORIUM"

What does this mean in English?

I assume it's Latin. It looks like Latin. I'm not sure if it's spelled correctly. At the end of the movie "A Life Less Ordinary", Gabriel (Dan Hedaya) speaks this. I copied it from a script I found online.

Thanks!

ekahs retsam

JJR512 said:
"AMERATUS PATHUM LABORIUM"

What does this mean in English?

I assume it's Latin. It looks like Latin. I'm not sure if it's spelled correctly. At the end of the movie "A Life Less Ordinary", Gabriel (Dan Hedaya) speaks this. I copied it from a script I found online.

Thanks!

That is a wierd one. I can't find an exact translation in latin. The best i can come up with is maybe "together toiling" or "forever suffering together"?

It would help if i had the context.

OR

Pathum may be a noun. If that is the case it might be talking about the noun.

Like, "Bob is great" if you saw that you might come up with "good" or "excellent" but without noun "Bob" it doesn't mean the same thing

laborium could also be a mark of authority normally associated with female connotations.

Lego

Well in my bastardized understanding of Latin

Is "Ameratus" "brave" or "awarded" or something?
"Pathum" as in pathos could be indicatory of ongoing or unending?
and "Laborium" is something like "struggle" or "labour"

so... eh... "the unending rewards of labour"? or maybe "Merit in eternal struggle"?

tho I think I may be wrong with "Ameratus" I'm thinking of "Ameritus"

Inkara1

One of my co-workers has a tattoo on her back in Latin, which roughly translates to, "may I live forever or die trying."

Altron

Laborium means something about hard work or struggle. the -ium leads me to believe that it's a noun, although what case, I don't know.

Amazing how much it is possible to forget in a mere year...

ekahs retsam

Ok, I have an update for this. It was bugging me so I decied to go ask someone who was more familuar then I am in this subject. My old latin teacher was stumped and she told me she would check it out and she what she could find. She said that all of us are on the right track but what was confusing eveyone was. "AMERATUS" I had thought it ment "together" and I was close. However, the reason no one could figure it out was because "AMERATUS" is a slang term in found in mostly oral traditions.

Everyone one was correct with "LABORIUM" meaning "to work" or "struggle". "PATHUM" is also correct "eternal" or "un-ending".

I was told "AMERATUS" is more complex then I had orginally thought. It does contain "am" which is "together" but it roughly means two things which are similar but different. A good example of this is the relatonship of love and hate is ameratus in nature.

Ok so the phrase should be like "two things which are oppossed to each other in an eternal struggle" War and peace, cats and dogs, etc...

JJR512

ekahs retsam said:
Ok, I have an update for this. It was bugging me so I decied to go ask someone who was more familuar then I am in this subject. My old latin teacher was stumped and she told me she would check it out and she what she could find. She said that all of us are on the right track but what was confusing eveyone was. "AMERATUS" I had thought it ment "together" and I was close. However, the reason no one could figure it out was because "AMERATUS" is a slang term in found in mostly oral traditions.

Everyone one was correct with "LABORIUM" meaning "to work" or "struggle". "PATHUM" is also correct "eternal" or "un-ending".

I was told "AMERATUS" is more complex then I had orginally thought. It does contain "am" which is "together" but it roughly means two things which are similar but different. A good example of this is the relatonship of love and hate is ameratus in nature.

Ok so the phrase should be like "two things which are oppossed to each other in an eternal struggle" War and peace, cats and dogs, etc...
This makes sense, then, in the context of the movie. The movie was about two angels struggling to bring two people together into a romantic relationship. (The reason for this is that Gabriel, played by Dan Hedaya, had a quota, apparently set by God, of new relationships that had to be formed, and Gabriel told these two angels to get these particular two people together or else they wouldn't be angels anymore...or something like that...anyway the movie has Cameron Diaz, Ewan MacGreggor, Holly Hunter, Delroy Lindo, Stanley Tucci, Ian Holm, and Tony Shalhoub.)

At the end of the movie, Gabriel is remarking (in English) on the difficulties the two angels faced, and utters that Latin quote. So it makes sense.

I initially thought "Ameratus" had something to do with love, because I saw the similarity by prefix in that word to French and Spanish words for love. I probably wasn't half wrong to think that, either, if the am- prefix means "together", which does have a lot to do with love, after all.

JJR512

Inkara1 said:
One of my co-workers has a tattoo on her back in Latin, which roughly translates to, "may I live forever or die trying."
What's the exact Latin statement in the tattoo?