Trespassers arrested at Notre Dame

valkyrie

19 Arrested at Notre Dame Protest Against Obama
(CNN) -- Nineteen demonstrators were arrested at the University of Notre Dame on Saturday as they protested against President Obama's scheduled commencement speech Sunday, campus police said.
Alan Keyes, former Republican presidential candidate, was among those arrested Friday.

Alan Keyes, former Republican presidential candidate, was among those arrested Friday.

The protesters were not students and they were arrested for trespassing when they stepped on the campus, which is private property, Notre Dame police spokesman Dennis Brown told CNN Radio.

Obama's plan to address the university's 2009 graduating class on Sunday has touched off a firestorm. At issue are the president's pro-choice abortion beliefs, which run counter to the Catholic Church's official anti-abortion stance, and his support for federal funding of stem-cell research.

Those views do not sit well with many high-profile Catholics -- both on and off-campus -- who decry the university's choice in speaker and its plans to bestow an honorary degree upon the president. Video Watch police arrest anti-Obama demonstrators »

"I have no problem with Obama speaking on the campus. ... I have no problem with him addressing the law school, being involved in this symposium. ... I do have a problem giving him the honor," said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League.

Others have decided to skip the ceremony, most notably the Catholic bishop of nearby South Bend, Indiana.

Bishop John D'Arcy said in a written statement, "President Obama has recently reaffirmed, and has now placed in public policy, his long-stated unwillingness to hold human life as sacred."

In a statement in March, Notre Dame President John I. Jenkins said the university has been host to Democratic and Republican presidents and said the invitation does not mean the university agrees with all of Obama's positions.

The White House says the president is honored to be speaking at the university and welcomes the exchange of ideas on hot-button topics.

Other presidents who have delivered the commencement address include Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush.

Every citizen has the right to protest peacefully (1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America) ... but you may not enter private property to do so. That's where they failed. Had they stayed off campus and protested there they would not have been arrested.

IMO it looks like Obama picking This school, out of all the rest,
Knowing their stance, seems like a poke in the eye.

His speech at ASU last week had him telling them to take thier degrees & work as community organizers, not to pursue wealth. Fuckin'A Obama, let's not better our economy by being the best we can be.

His speech at ASU last week had him telling them to take thier degrees & work as community organizers, not to pursue wealth. Fuckin'A Obama, let's not better our economy by being the best we can be.
He also said this...
"Obama acknowledged that "no matter how much we want to fudge it ... the fact is that at some level, the views of the two camps are irreconcilable." But he still implored the University of Notre Dame's graduating class and all in the U.S. to stop "reducing those with differing views to caricature. Open hearts. Open minds. Fair-minded words. It's a way of life that always has been the Notre Dame tradition.""
...and...
"The president ceded no ground. But he said those on each side of the debate "can still agree that this is a heart-wrenching decision for any woman to make, with both moral and spiritual dimensions.

"So let's work together to reduce the number of women seeking abortions by reducing unintended pregnancies, and making adoption more available, and providing care and support for women who do carry their child to term."

He said he favored "a sensible conscience clause" that would give anti-abortion health care providers the right to refuse to perform the procedure."
.... and this...
"...Obama told graduates they were part of a "generation that must find a path back to prosperity and decide how we respond to a global economy that left millions behind even before this crisis hit an economy where greed and short-term thinking were too often rewarded at the expense of fairness, and diligence, and an honest day's work.""

oh, I didn't know that was the only school that sent an invitation.
I'm sure they were not the only school that sent an invitation. But there is a tradition for Notre Dame to invite the president to speak at the commencement. I think Clinton was the only recent president that did not speak there. I don't know if he did not get an invitation or if he declined for the honor of speaking somewhere else. (I suppose I could research that if you really want me to.)

Why do you think he should have snubbed their invitation to speak at Notre Dame?

"I have no problem with Obama speaking on the campus. ... I have no problem with him addressing the law school, being involved in this symposium. ... I do have a problem giving him the honor," said Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League.

agree or disagree with the belief as you wish. admire the man for standing up for his beliefs

stand for something or fall for anything

I provided care and support for my wife while she carried our son 'to term'
and for the ensuing 18 years till he went off to college four years ago,
and to this very day.

Where's my fricken govt. check fer that???

Oh no, that’s right I had to WRITE checks for my federal and states taxes
comprising over 32% of my income last year to pay for these other skeevie skags !?!

Osama 'show me the money' ya biotch!

I'm sure they were not the only school that sent an invitation. But there is a tradition for Notre Dame to invite the president to speak at the commencement. I think Clinton was the only recent president that did not speak there. I don't know if he did not get an invitation or if he declined for the honor of speaking somewhere else. (I suppose I could research that if you really want me to.)

Why do you think he should have snubbed their invitation to speak at Notre Dame?

spin
which is it?
snubbed? couldn't be a snub if others sent invites.

about the tradition...
Many schools have that tradition.
He didn't speak at all of um.

agree or disagree with the belief as you wish. admire the man for standing up for his beliefs

stand for something or fall for anything

Couldn't have said it better myself. H2Oboy, you get an "attaboy" for a respectful and intelligent response. Thank you.

spin
which is it?
snubbed? couldn't be a snub if others sent invites.

about the tradition...
Many schools have that tradition.
He didn't speak at all of um.
I am not aware of other invites, which is what I thought I said.

Why should he snub their invitation?

More federal welfare programs.
I'm pretty sure that's what the anti-abortionists are asking for. If not federal, they've already pushed through laws in many states to pay for their agenda. There's even a bill presented to force women who are considering abortion to have unnecessary tests (ultrasound) performed. If she goes on Medicaid (for pregnant women) the tax payers will have to pay for the testing. And who do you think is going to have to regulate all that? Yep... our government! One more department to fund. hooray. :disgust2:

Oklahoma's gallingly paternalistic ultrasound law coming to a state near you!

they've already pushed through laws in many states

Which is exactly as it's supposed to be. If you don't like the laws of Ohio, you can move. If you don't like the federal regulations, well, it sucks to be you.
Amendment X said:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Local power!!!:deal:

19 Arrested at Notre Dame Protest Against Obama

Every citizen has the right to protest peacefully (1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America) ... but you may not enter private property to do so. That's where they failed. Had they stayed off campus and protested there they would not have been arrested.

Ah, but then there's this little fly in your ointment.

CLICK HERE

It seems that in Pruneyard the very notion of protesting, leafletting, petitioning, etc was addressed; and there is a Constitutional civil rights protection to do so.

You see, Notre Dame is a place where usual and customary public access is permitted which brings it squarely into the crosshairs of Pruneyard.

PRUNEYARD SHOPPING CENTER v. ROBINS, 447 U.S. 74 (1980)
447 U.S. 74
PRUNEYARD SHOPPING CENTER ET AL. v. ROBINS ET AL.
APPEAL FROM THE SUPREME COURT OF CALIFORNIA.

No. 79-289.

Argued March 18, 1980.
Decided June 9, 1980.

Soon after appellees had begun soliciting in appellant privately owned shopping center's central courtyard for signatures from passersby for petitions in opposition to a United Nations resolution, a security guard informed appellees that they would have to leave because their activity violated shopping center regulations prohibiting any visitor or tenant from engaging in any publicly expressive activity that is not directly related to the center's commercial purposes. Appellees immediately left the premises and later filed suit in a California state court to enjoin the shopping center and its owner (also an appellant) from denying appellees access to the center for the purpose of circulating their petitions. The trial court held that appellees were not entitled under either the Federal or California Constitution to exercise their asserted rights on the shopping center property, and the California Court of Appeal affirmed. The California Supreme Court reversed, holding that the California Constitution protects speech and petitioning, reasonably exercised, in shopping centers even when the center is privately owned, and that such result does not infringe appellants' property rights protected by the Federal Constitution.

We conclude that neither appellants' federally recognized property rights nor their First Amendment rights have been infringed by the California Supreme Court's decision recognizing a right of appellees to exercise state-protected rights of expression and petition on appellants' property. The judgment of the Supreme Court of California is therefore

Affirmed.

By the way, don't try reversing and trying to state that Notre dame is public property because the two links below cover that one quite nicely also.

INTERNATIONAL SOC. FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS v. LEE
505 U.S. 672 (1992)

LEE v. INTERNATIONAL SOC. FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS
505 U.S. 830 (1992)

Ah, but then there's this little fly in your ointment.

CLICK HERE

It seems that in Pruneyard the very notion of protesting, leafletting, petitioning, etc was addressed; and there is a Constitutional civil rights protection to do so.

You see, Notre Dame is a place where usual and customary public access is permitted which brings it squarely into the crosshairs of Pruneyard.

By the way, don't try reversing and trying to state that Notre dame is public property because the two links below cover that one quite nicely also.

INTERNATIONAL SOC. FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS v. LEE
505 U.S. 672 (1992)

LEE v. INTERNATIONAL SOC. FOR KRISHNA CONSCIOUSNESS
505 U.S. 830 (1992)
You are correct, Notre Dame is not public property. I am not arguing that it is. This is why the arrest of those that pushed the envelope and took their protests onto private property was a legal arrest.

Every last one of them has the right to protest to their hearts content but you can not take it on to private property... that has been proven in court and almost every anti-abortion protester will be briefed before they set out with picket signs.

I'm not sure if the trespassing was intentional to bring about more media attention with the arrest, or if they really didn't know it was illegal to protest on private property.

Which is exactly as it's supposed to be. If you don't like the laws of Ohio, you can move. If you don't like the federal regulations, well, it sucks to be you.
Local power!!!:deal:
You could always find another country to live in. :shrug:

It was "local power" that allowed slavery and federal laws that made slavery illegal. It was also federal laws that took voting rights away from women and then gave it back (a few states gave women the right to vote, New Jersey was one)... so there's a negative and a positive example all rolled into one. :) It was "local power" that made the "Jim Crow" laws and "poll taxes" and federal laws that removed those barriers and gave everyone their right to vote. I wouldn't say that "local power" was always a good thing.

Back