Trespassers arrested at Notre Dame

You are correct, Notre Dame is not public property. I am not arguing that it is. This is why the arrest of those that pushed the envelope and took their protests onto private property was a legal arrest.

Every last one of them has the right to protest to their hearts content but you can not take it on to private property... that has been proven in court and almost every anti-abortion protester will be briefed before they set out with picket signs.

You are referring to the ten foot rule that dissuades protesters from blocking the entrances to abortion clinics.

I'm not sure if the trespassing was intentional to bring about more media attention with the arrest, or if they really didn't know it was illegal to protest on private property.

Perhaps you misunderstood the purpose of Pruneyard. Pruneyard protects protesting on private property. As long as they did not block the entrances, or hamper the ingress or egress of the participants, they were within the law, pursuant to Pruneyard, regardless of any local ordinances to the contrary.

The arrestees have themselves a civil rights violation lawsuit in the making.

You could always find another country to live in. :shrug:

One that believes these things to be self-evident...?

It was "local power" that allowed slavery and federal laws that made slavery illegal. It was also federal laws that took voting rights away from women and then gave it back (a few states gave women the right to vote, New Jersey was one)... so there's a negative and a positive example all rolled into one. :) It was "local power" that made the "Jim Crow" laws and "poll taxes" and federal laws that removed those barriers and gave everyone their right to vote. I wouldn't say that "local power" was always a good thing.

Is it easier to talk to your Mayor or your Senator?
Your Governor or you President?

Good or bad, the power is designed to be local, not federal.

One that believes these things to be self-evident...?
DING! DING! DING! You are a winner!!! :D

Is it easier to talk to your Mayor or your Senator?
Your Governor or you President?

Good or bad, the power is designed to be local, not federal.
My Senator is easiest to get in touch with actually... the others... not so much.

Back