U.S. has most prisoners

highwayman

How about cutting down on these numbers by following through on the execution of the death row inmates that are currently sentanced to death and cut the appeals process from 20 years plus to less then five...
The fear of being executed would be an awsome deterent...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061209/ts_nm/usa_prisoners_dc
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Tough sentencing laws, record numbers of drug offenders and high crime rates have contributed to the United States having the largest prison population and the highest rate of incarceration in the world, according to criminal justice experts.

A U.S. Justice Department report released on November 30 showed that a record 7 million people -- or one in every 32 American adults -- were behind bars, on probation or on parole at the end of last year. Of the total, 2.2 million were in prison or jail.

How about cutting down on these numbers by following through on the execution of the death row inmates that are currently sentanced to death and cut the appeals process from 20 years plus to less then five...

Now now Highwayman, we both know they get too many fucking appeals and that is part of the problem but it isn't PC to take that away. Course I would say 2-3 appeals and then if the judgement stays let them have it

Groups advocating reform of U.S. sentencing laws seized on the latest U.S. prison population figures showing admissions of inmates have been rising even faster than the numbers of prisoners who have been released.

"The United States has 5 percent of the world's population and 25 percent of the world's incarcerated population. We rank first in the world in locking up our fellow citizens," said Ethan Nadelmann of the Drug Policy Alliance, which supports alternatives in the war on drugs.

"We now imprison more people for drug law violations than all of western Europe, with a much larger population, incarcerates for all offenses."

I agree this makes it pretty obvious that drug laws need serious revising.

"Why are so many people in prison? Blame mandatory sentencing laws and the record number of nonviolent drug offenders subject to them," she said.

That's right!!! These criminals didn't know it was illegal to use drugs. The next time neither, Nor the next.

I'm pretty sure that robbery & homicide tend to be illegal too but I assumed you were smart enough to know that.

Yeah, c'mon Gonz. Nobody ever robs anybody, breaks into houses, shoots anyone, or commits any other crime over dope. No siree Bob. Never happens.

Harmless little plant...

This thread isn't titled UN has most prisoners is it?

That's right. US has most prisoners.

So why do you keep bringing up things to explain it that actually apply to all countries?

These criminals didn't know it was illegal to use drugs.

Since that applies to all countries, what's your point. It doesn't explain in the least why the US has most prisoners does it?

that dude with all those "salamis" looks pretty suspicious an all ...

who is he anyway?

Back