Uh-oh.

HomeLAN

Avoid E-mail links unless you KNOW what they are, folks.

Anti-virus software manufacturer McAfee Inc. is warning about a new version of the Mydoom worm that infects computers of people who click on a link of an e-mail they receive.

The new version is a mass-mailing worm that does not contain an attachment, as some earlier versions of the worm program have done. A worm is a self-replicating computer program that -- like a computer virus -- can cause damage to a computer's software by attaching itself to programs.

The new Mydoom e-mail messages direct users to click on a link, directing them to an infected machine. Following the hyperlink results in an infection occurring on the target victim's system.

Source

Are you saying that I'm not really getting an email from the brazilian king of schmoo, and that he's not really gonna give me 20 million if I click his link?! :mope:

I read about it, it's likely to come from something like PayPal saying they've taken $175 from yer credit card, or from your best friend. So...I can see many clicking on it.

Yup. The most common sender now is a paypal imposter, stating that your account has been debited. Pretty easy to fall for that one.

I am sure I could in half-asleep mode.

Then again, I have an antivirus I "trust" so I'm not as vigilant as perhaps I should be.

To: canuckchick at gmaildotcom
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 00:49:32 -0600
Subject: Confirmation
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to contacts list | Trash this message | Report phishing | Show original

Congratulations! PayPal has successfully charged $175 to your credit card. Your order tracking number is A866DEC0, and your item will be shipped within three business days.

To see details please click this link.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA EMAIL! This email is being sent by an automated message system and the reply will not be received.

Thank you for using PayPal.

It is most likely a scam, check the complete message header for the source IP and traceit, I doubt it belongs to paypal.

Back