Unions in the news.

Professur

Inco union to urge members to reject labor offer Sun May 28, 3:03 AM ET

TORONTO (Reuters) - The union at Inco Ltd.'s nickel operations in Sudbury, Ontario, said on Sunday it would recommend its members vote against a latest labor contract offer from the company.

"It's an insult to our members," said Wayne Fraser, representative with the United Steelworkers union, after the company presented the union with a contract offer early Sunday.

Fraser said the main sticking points were wages, pensions and job security and that a strike was even more imminent.

The union represents about 3,100 employees at the mines, smelters, refineries and processors at Inco's Sudbury operations.

Fraser said that talks broke off and negotiations were over, but Inco spokesman Cory McPhee said there was still time to talk before a May 31 deadline.

"Anything is possible between now and then," McPhee said.

The current three-year agreement expires on Wednesday, but the union imposed an earlier deadline to give it enough time to report back to its members and hold a vote.

The last time Inco negotiated a contract, in 2003, approximately 3,000 workers went on strike for three months over healthcare benefits.

Inco, which is trying to take over Falconbridge Ltd. but is itself the target of a hostile offer from Teck Cominco Ltd., produced 216 million pounds of nickel from its Ontario operations in 2005.

Swiss mining giant Xstrata Plc. has made a hostile offer for Falconbridge.

Source

Another 3100 jobs that the unions are gonna make sure are reduced, thanks to their nonsense. No thought of "negotiation in good faith." Straight to strike as soon as possible. Last time I checked, these guys are already amongst the best paid, best benifitted employees in the country.

IMHO, noone should be allowed to work for a union without at least a double masters in business and economics. But then, I don't think anyone should 'work' for a union to start with. Make your unions all volunteer and you'll see a turn about right quick.

Anymore the unions are counter productive, they say they are for the worker but how many jobs have been lost over their fumbling. Look at what happend to Consolidated Freightways and how many jobs were lost there...

I've never understood this concept of 'job security'.

If you have a job, do it well, don't screw up, learn, be productive, don't flirt up every other person or pass out racist newsletters... you should be fine indefinitely. If the contract you make is overly costly and causes the company to lose money or the article you are involved in making becomes obsolete or slows down in popularity... it necessitates a dailing back in the human labor element to compensate. Harwiring permanet employment wether there is work or not is a dangerous game and has made major companies fold.

Gonz said:
The lazy brother-in-laws club

That about sums it up, I have seen cases were if it was not for a union a few people I have seen would either be on welfare or homeless...

Back