US history questions, south-north

Winky said:
and I damn sight don't like it one widdle bit
Given the age difference, the improvements in medical science and the probability that you haven't abused yourself as aggressively as I have, it might not outlast you.

Always nice to be right...

What their research uncovered was that Connecticut's initial economic development was a result of slavery; its continued growth was based on a dependence on slavery, and Connecticut's complicity in the institution of slavery was immense and long-standing. The authors describe their shock at these discoveries in the book's preface: "We were now looking at nothing less than an altered reality. Our first response was confusion: Hold on, weren't we the good guys in the Civil War? Wasn't the South to blame for slavery?

Their unearthing of Connecticut's complicity with the institution of slavery led them to expand their research to other Northern states. Their findings are reported in this book. Again, from the authors' comments in the preface: "We have all grown up, attended schools, and worked in Northern states, from Maine to Maryland. We thought we knew our home. We thought we knew our country. We were wrong."

chcr said:
All history is revisionist. It's the nature of history to be so.

right on.

but after a while it becomes myth when only a few select parts of what really happened end up as the 'official' story. and then they teach that to the kiddies. to the point where, eventually, when anybody suggests there might be an alternative story, they get labeled as freaks, because by then, the "select morsels" seem like plain and simple facts.

Main Entry: myth
Pronunciation: 'mith
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek mythos
1 a : a usually traditional story of ostensibly historical events that serves to unfold part of the world view of a people or explain a practice, belief, or natural phenomenon b : PARABLE, ALLEGORY
2 a : a popular belief or tradition that has grown up around something or someone; especially : one embodying the ideals and institutions of a society or segment of society <seduced by the American myth of individualism -- Orde Coombs> b : an unfounded or false notion
3 : a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence
4 : the whole body of myths.

2minkey said:
right on.

but after a while it becomes myth when only a few select parts of what really happened end up as the 'official' story. and then they teach that to the kiddies. to the point where, eventually, when anybody suggests there might be an alternative story, they get labeled as freaks, because by then, the "select morsels" seem like plain and simple facts.

That's not myth. That's politics.

3: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence

I'm so there!

You got him there. Politics is sometimes (one might even say frequently) a myth. History never is, at least as I read the definition.

Mick Jagger said:
3: a person or thing having only an imaginary or unverifiable existence

I'm so there!
As scary as I find this, I think we're on the same page here. ;)

Back