Wacko wants people prosecuted for disagreeing with him.

jimpeel

This guy's a nut who has fallen off his tree.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/23/fossilfuels.climatechange

Put oil firm chiefs on trial, says leading climate change scientist

· Testimony to US Congress will also criticise lobbyists
· 'Revolutionary' policies needed to tackle crisis

Ed Pilkington in New York The Guardian, Monday June 23, 2008

James Hansen, one of the world's leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature??????, accusing them of actively spreading doubt about global warming in the same way that tobacco companies blurred the links between smoking and cancer.

Hansen will use the symbolically charged 20th anniversary of his groundbreaking speech (pdf) to the US Congress - in which he was among the first to sound the alarm over the reality of global warming - to argue that radical steps need to be taken immediately if the "perfect storm" of irreversible climate change is not to become inevitable.

Speaking before Congress again, he will accuse the chief executive officers of companies such as ExxonMobil and Peabody Energy of being fully aware of the disinformation about climate change they are spreading.

In an interview with the Guardian he said: "When you are in that kind of position, as the CEO of one the primary players who have been putting out misinformation even via organisations that affect what gets into school textbooks, then I think that's a crime."

He is also considering personally targeting members of Congress who have a poor track record on climate change in the coming November elections. He will campaign to have several of them unseated. Hansen's speech to Congress on June 23 1988 is seen as a seminal moment in bringing the threat of global warming to the public's attention. At a time when most scientists were still hesitant to speak out, he said the evidence of the greenhouse gas effect was 99% certain, adding "it is time to stop waffling".

He will tell the House select committee on energy independence and global warming this afternoon that he is now 99% certain that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere has already risen beyond the safe level. (If he is only 99% certain then there is still room for debate. - j)

The current concentration is 385 parts per million and is rising by 2ppm a year. Hansen, who heads Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, says 2009 will be a crucial year, with a new US president and talks on how to follow the Kyoto agreement.

He wants to see a moratorium on new coal-fired power plants, coupled with the creation of a huge grid of low-loss electric power lines buried under ground and spread across America, in order to give wind and solar power a chance of competing. "The new US president would have to take the initiative analogous to Kennedy's decision to go to the moon."

His sharpest words are reserved for the special interests he blames for public confusion about the nature of the global warming threat. "The problem is not political will, it's the alligator shoes - the lobbyists. It's the fact that money talks in Washington, and that democracy is not working the way it's intended to work." (That would be mob rule as Benjamin Franklin so aptly put it - j)

A group seeking to increase pressure on international leaders is launching a campaign today called 350.org. It is taking out full-page adverts in papers such as the New York Times and the Swedish Falukuriren calling for the target level of CO2 to be lowered to 350ppm. The advert has been backed by 150 signatories, including Hansen.

150 signatories on his little advert and 31,000+ signatories on the petition against global warming being a real problem. The tyranny of the minority rears its ugly head once again.

fully aware of the disinformation about climate change they are spreading.

hmmmm

"When you are in that kind of position, as the CEO of one the primary players who have been putting out misinformation even via organisations that affect what gets into school textbooks, then I think that's a crime."
Does that mean the teachers union is going to jail?

I hope they do take these guys to court so the fraud of GW can be placed before the people and shown for what it is.

THERE'S NO TIME LEFT! WE MUST ACT NOW!!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/environment/2008-06-23-globalwarming_N.htm?csp=34

NASA warming scientist: 'This is the last chance'

WASHINGTON (AP) — Exactly 20 years after warning America about global warming, a top NASA scientist said the situation has gotten so bad that the world's only hope is drastic action.
James Hansen told Congress on Monday that the world has long passed the "dangerous level" for greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and needs to get back to 1988 levels. He said Earth's atmosphere can only stay this loaded with man-made carbon dioxide for a couple more decades without changes such as mass extinction, ecosystem collapse and dramatic sea level rises.

"We're toast if we don't get on a very different path," Hansen, director of the Goddard Institute of Space Sciences who is sometimes called the godfather of global warming science, told The Associated Press. "This is the last chance."

To cut emissions, Hansen said coal-fired power plants that don't capture carbon dioxide emissions shouldn't be used in the United States after 2025, and should be eliminated in the rest of the world by 2030. That carbon capture technology is still being developed and not yet cost efficient for power plants.

"The thing that I think is most important is to block coal-fired power plants," Hansen told the luncheon. "I'm not yet at the point of chaining myself but we somehow have to draw attention to this."

Frank Maisano, a spokesman for many U.S. utilities, including those trying to build new coal plants, said while Hansen has shown foresight as a scientist, his "stop them all approach is very simplistic" and shows that he is beyond his level of expertise.

The year of Hansen's original testimony was the world's hottest year on record. Since then, 14 years have been hotter, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

But Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., committee chairman, said, "Dr. Hansen was right. Twenty years later, we recognize him as a climate prophet." (Or a little tin God whose apocalyptic rantings will allow us to raise taxes and restrict freedom. -- j)

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Oh the outrage and horror of environmental responsibility. If only we could act like children throwing a tantrum when asked to clean up after themselves.

Well I guess some people act that way still.

Isn't he one of those who were claiming NEW ICE AGE back in th e70's?

A couple of keepers for you.

http://download.premiereradio.net/guest/rushlimb/pdf/coolingworld.pdf

http://www.businessandmedia.org/specialreports/2006/fireandice/FireandIce.pdf

Yes, Hansen was one of the nuts who predicted global cooling before he started hawking his global warming schtick.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?secid=1501&status=article&id=275267681833290

Climate Change: Did NASA scientist James Hansen, the global warming alarmist in chief, once believe we were headed for . . . an ice age? An old Washington Post story indicates he did.

Aiding Rasool's research, the Post reported, was a "computer program developed by Dr. James Hansen," who was, according to his resume, a Columbia University research associate at the time.

So what about those greenhouse gases that man pumps into the skies? Weren't they worried about them causing a greenhouse effect that would heat the planet, as Hansen, Al Gore and a host of others so fervently believe today?

"They found no need to worry about the carbon dioxide fuel-burning puts in the atmosphere," the Post said in the story, which was spotted last week by Washington resident John Lockwood, who was doing research at the Library of Congress and alerted the Washington Times to his finding.

Hansen has some explaining to do. The public deserves to know how he was converted from an apparent believer in a coming ice age who had no worries about greenhouse gas emissions to a global warming fear monger.

This is a man, as Lockwood noted in his message to the Times' John McCaslin, who has called those skeptical of his global warming theory "court jesters." We wonder: What choice words did he have for those who were skeptical of the ice age theory in 1971?

[TBC: We have been criticized for occasionally running stories addressing Global Warming. In view of the political, and more importantly, religious elements that drive this movement, this is an area needing watchfulness. Further, revelations that James Hansen received $720,000 in 2006 from leftist George Soros might be an indication that scientific consensus has a price.]

[more]

Apparently he still does?

Hansen, Schneider: catastrophic new ice age by 2021

U.S. Scientist Sees New Ice Age Coming

Washington Post and Science magazine

The world could be as little as 15 or 25 years away from a disastrous new ice age, a leading atmospheric scientist predicts. Dr. S. I. Rasool of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and Columbia University used a computer program by his colleague, Prof. James Hansen, that studied clouds above Venus.

By 2021, fossil-fuel dust injected by man into the atmosphere could screen out so much sunlight that the average temperature could drop by six degrees, resulting in a buildup of new glaciers that could eventually cover huge areas.

Linkage.

Luckily the Mayan calender says we're all gonna die in 2012 so don't sweat the incipient ice age. :eyemouth:

The premise and a couple of good questions from NewsBusters:

This seems destined to be ignored by today's climate change obsessed media: Scientists from NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies - the very organization now presaging gloom and doom at the hands of global warming - predicted a new ice age back in 1971.

Think this will be a focus of tonight's evening news broadcasts?

How marvelous. Yet, 36 years later, this same organization is predicting a planetary cataclysm at the hands of global warming.

Which one of this agency's warnings should we heed?

I saw that one in my search results but didn't post it because it was confusing. What was quoted is a rehash of the 1971 article. The poster even stated:

"Sorry if you think that the news from 1971 are no longer hot but I found them rather cool. ;-)"

His sources:

Hat tip: The Washington Times, News Busters
Source: The Washington Post (also appeared in Science)
See also: new ice age in Time magazine
I got that but they said it's coming by 2021. No doubt at the time that seemed far enough off to be vague enough. Perhaps he was mistaken. Do you think there'll be an ice age by 2021? ;)

Besides, we're all history in 2012 anyway. Maybe we'll all wake up in Riverworld but I'd be saddened to find out that my strong Frisbeetarianism was wrong.

"Teh 3|\||) 15 |\|33|2"

I got that but they said it's coming by 2021. No doubt at the time that seemed far enough off to be vague enough. Perhaps he was mistaken. Do you think there'll be an ice age by 2021? ;)

I don't know what the future will hold. If I did I would not be working at Wal-Mart. I'd be spending all of my time at the track and buying Lotto tickets at 7-11 and spending the money.

With the FLAT TEMPS OVER THE PAST DECADE and the LULL IN SUNSPOT ACTIVITY there are several scientists who now believe that GLOBAL COOLING COULD BE IN OUR FUTURE; and some have speculated on THE POSSIBILITY OF A MINI ICE AGE.

Even the GW proponents have recently done a bit of nest feathering by declaring that there will be cooling followed by more warming.

You might find THIS ARTICLE on media and scientific vascillation interesting.

SUNSPOTS AND CLIMATE CHANGE

A GOOD PAGE ON SOLAR INFLUENCE Lots of good info, charts, graphs, photos, analysis. Have your thinking cap firmly in place for this one.

FOXNEWS REPORT ONCOOLING AND SUNSPOT ACTIVITY

Sunspot picture of the Sun taken today.

latest.jpg

Kinda bland, huh. That is how it has looked for the past 11 years.

:rofl3: :laugh: OMG you just don't stop with the propaganda huh?

Oops! Silly me!

The 1971 story must not actually exist because NewsBusters mentioned it.

The Washington Post story must not actually exist because NewsBusters mentioned it.

The Washington Times story must not actually exist because NewsBusters mentioned it.

The Science story must not actually exist because NewsBusters mentioned it.

Hell, James Hansen must not actually exist because NewsBusters mentioned him.

Its a conspiracy by the vast right wing cabal of global warming deniers to plant false stories in thity-seven year old Washington Post archives.

Now, hmmmmm, lemme see. How can I get NewsBusters to mention Spike so his very existence will be called into question ???? Hmmmmmmm ...

Yes.

The story well may exist. I'm not sure what that has to do with you repeatedly posting articles from blatantly biased sources though. Do you?

Perhaps because they are the only ones with the temerity to even mention it? Ya think?

Was it mentioned on Media Matters? CNN? ABC News? CBS News? NBC News? MSNBC? PBS Lehrer Report? NPR Morning Update?

Did the NY Times, Chicago Tribune, L.A. Times, Denver Post, Boston Globe, Atlanta Journal and Constitution, San Francisco Chronicle, or any other Liberal establishment media mention this fact?

Conversely, how many of the above mentioned Hansen's 20 year anniversary speech yesterday?

Trust me, the foregoing was rhetorical as you cannot find any of them that mentioned Hansen's 1971 involvement in the "coming ice age". If you could, you would already have done so.

So if my sources are biased for mentioning Hansen's involvement in the ice age scare, what do you call those sources which did not mention it?

Your side of the equation says the following:

There are ominous signs that the earth's weather patterns have begun to change dramatically and that these changes may portend a drastic decline in food production - with serious political implications for just about every nation on earth.

True or false?

The drop in food output could begin quite soon, perhaps only ten years from now.

True or false?

The evidence in support of these predictions has now begun to accumulate so massively that meterologists are hard-pressed to keep up with it.

True or false?

Meteorologists are almost unanimous in the view that the trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century. if the climate change is as profound as some of the pessimists fear, the resulting famines could be catastrophic.

True or false?

The longer the planners delay, the more difficult they will find to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality.

True or false?

These are your guys saying this. Do you or do you not believe in what they say? Is it as bad as they predict? You either believe them or you don't so which is it?

I say that it is all bullshit.

So if my sources are biased for mentioning Hansen's involvement in the ice age scare, what do you call those sources which did not mention it?

Who said your sources were biased for mentioning someone's involvement in an ice age thing? Nobody. They are just admittedly biased.

What's with the repeated habit of starting your arguments from something you made up?

Besides, we're all history in 2012 anyway. Maybe we'll all wake up in Riverworld but I'd be saddened to find out that my strong Frisbeetarianism was wrong.

Here is an interesting talk by David Archibald on the relationship of GW and solar cycles and sunspots. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAe_g41Zl4

Who said your sources were biased for mentioning someone's involvement in an ice age thing? Nobody. They are just admittedly biased.

What's with the repeated habit of starting your arguments from something you made up?

Then here's some truth for you. Everything I posted in post #17 is false.

Back