wahoo! Youtube!

K62

Uploaded my first.. video! ahah this is nifty.

Sailing in a sea state 4 or 5. I will get a video of the bow submerging next time we are in a rough sea, more impressive.

You can't tell the size of the waves AT ALL from the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB978ywCczw

Yes, I get sea sick. :(

Toolbox™

That's wicked! I love boats... I used to have one but it sank last September 29 in a killer typhoon here in the Philippines. It was a 200 tonne, 126 footer and the worst weather I was in lasted 16 hours with two tropical typhoons crossing paths and us in the middle. Boat was pitching 35 degress left and right 140 nautical miles away from the nearest cost in the middle of the South China Sea.

I, however, did not get sea sick. :)

I can imagine it was a nightmare for you. Glad to know you're safe. :)

Sharky

Heh - that brings back some memories. :cool:

Ain't it funny how waves don't photograph? I have pics of waves washing over the boarding decks of offshore oil platforms (3-4 meters above calm water level) but the seas look like light chop. :shrug:

K62

Yeah, it's weird. eh?

That was only a sea state 4, maybe 5 tops. Those ships (55m 900tonnes) have operated in sea states up to 10. Those in the video are pretty common in the North Atlantic.

tonksy

:sick3: Damn...does that bring back memories. I have only been sea sick once for all my time on the boat....but I remember it well.

K62

Just once? Wow, I have been many time. You were on pretty big ships though, right? These are tiny. 200'x37' 970ton. It's not uncommon for a good 1/3 or more of the ships crew to be sick sometimes.

A side to side roll doesn't bother me a bit. I just strap into my rack, and sliding across the deck in a chair can be fun! It's the pitching that gets me, when the bow rises, and digs in. It feels like you're living on a roller coaster.

tonksy

K62, I grew up on sailboats so I was kind of used to it by the time I joined the navy. I have no recollection of sea sickness as a kid although I do remember moments of queasiness when we would come about.
The naval ship I was on was a converted LPH so it was bigger than yours but by no means huge. Plus it had a flat bottom and that makes for a rough ride. My office was at the waterline and forward so, again, I got used to the motion rather quickly.
The one time I did get sea sick was a freak storm over night with choppy seas the next day. I woke up sick - as did over half of the crew. Bad day. To make matters worse it was suppose to be steel beach picnic day and all the was for chow was BBQ ribs and burgers. I received a sea sickness shot in the morning and was fine by lunch but I felt for those that couldn't get the shot.

K62

Ah yes, these ships are flat bottomed too and my rack is in the most forward cabin. It's not very fun in rough seas. I have never got the shot, but I do take the happy pill...bonamine which helps a lot. Only problem is that it makes me have crazy dreams....

tonksy

Sometimes when we were pulling out in not so ideal weather I would go ahead and take the pill just to ensure a good day but other than that I never needed them.
Sometimes I miss the movement - especially when sleeping. Nothing quite lulls you to sleep like waves.

K62

Yeah, I don't mind sleeping in a slight sea state.

Sometime when I get in from a few weeks at sea, I will wake up in the middle of the night in my room and still feel like I am at sea. Really weird feeling.

tonksy

That used to happen to me too :D

Sometimes I even miss my rack. Not my first one which was a top one but my second which was a bottom one. It was sitting next to a segment of locker so I didn't need to fully extend my curtains - which was great because that lets in too much light. It was like crawling in a cave. You know, I just got rid of my navy pillow within the past 3 years! I loved that thing - took it everywhere when I travelled.