War/Semi-war films that you really must see.

HeXp£Øi±

These are a little less well known but i highly recommend any war film fans go check these out if you haven't seen them yet. (you know who you are)

Thirteen Days: A film about the cuban missile crisis starring Kevin Costner. Don't judge a book by it's cover. This movie is well done, and very underrated. In time it will be recognized as a classic imo.

The Bunker: Anthony Hopkins does a brilliant Adolph Hitler in his last few weeks of life.

Really check these out!

I'm looking for tips on some lesser known war films, any input is appriciated.

Hunt for red october

U571

Braveheart

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

Bridge over river kwai

Apocolypse now

I really liked Thirteen Days too.
I always liked Von Ryan's Express too.
What about Blackhawk Down?

Das Boot (watch it in its native language or don't bother)

One of the best war films ever, IMO. U571 is sooooo shit in comparison.

I thought Thirteen Days was pretty good as well, althought it's a long time since I saw it and these days I'm a bit more discriminating when it comes to films, lol.

Saw black hawk down. Definetly a good one.

GF you really should see Apocolypse Now and i suggest you watch the original release rather than the extended version. A couple things to remember while watching the movie, 1: it's based on real events,2: Martin sheen doesn't remember the first scene as he was in a blackout(drunk) & 3:Marlon Brando was frying on acid during many of the scenes. I expect as well that you'll give us all a review after you've seen it hmmm?;)

I haven't seen The Manchurian Candidate, i'll keep an eye out for it.

Just watched Das Boot(In German) as per IP moofs request few weeks back. A very good film.

Apocolypse Now is a great film. Very disturbing also. Don't plan on being cheerful when it ends.

Don't listen to Gonz, you'll be happy if you like dancing
violently in a drunken stupor while spreading blood all over your naked body.

MuFu said:
Das Boot (watch it in its native language or don't bother)
B-b-but, I don't understand it!!!! Quite good in English, however, as well.
Forgot Memphis Belle. Not really a lesser known, but one of my faves.

The Longest Day -- not exactly obscure...
Bridges at Toko Ri -- for those who liked Bridge Over the River Kwai
Battle of the Bulge
Patton -- kicks ass...

HeXp£Øi± said:
They do have these things called "subtitles" you know. Oh sorry...sarcasm is Q's job.
Tsk,tsk, tsk.:D

Never saw Battle of the Bulge Ards, but I liked the other three. Patton is one of my favorites.

a few oldies, but favorites none the less...

Sands of Iwo Jima
Green Berets
Flying Tigers
30 Seconds Over Tokyo

Gonz said:
Apocolypse Now is a great film. Very disturbing also

it scared me. i thought it was fantastic i didnt know it was based on real events i know it was based on the book Heart of Darkness though. gf its fantastic

Das Boot according to my father was another good one but i never saw it. i hope its a good one

chcr said:
Forgot Memphis Belle. Not really a lesser known, but one of my faves.

that was a classic as well

chcr said:
Never saw Battle of the Bulge Ards, but I liked the other three. Patton is one of my favorites.

Battle of the Bulge starred Henry Fonda, among others. Speaking of Fonda, I forgot to list Midway. That's another good one. I saw it in the theatre when I was uh, 13 or 14, maybe.

Back