War/Semi-war films that you really must see.

Dr. Strangelove is classic i love that movie :) i dont think good bad and ugly count since it was a western. the deer hunter was also great and jacobs ladder is supposed to be very good too

freako104 said:
i dont think good bad and ugly count since it was a western.

Sort of, but it take splace during the civil war and the story is very much tied to that war.

freako104 said:
jacobs ladder is supposed to be very good too

Jacob's Ladder is incredible and I should have mentioned it earlier considering it's one of only 15 DVDs that I own.

Jacob's Ladder scared the shit out of me the first time i watched it. It's a must see.

I added the 'Semi' too the thread because in many cases it's the relation to the war and not necessarily the war itself that makes the film interesting. Schindlers List & Thirteen days are two examples.

I liked this review of Jacob's Ladder on IMDB....

Unlike that movie Jacobs Ladder doesn't feel like a fairy story. It feels like a freezing blast of wind from the depths of death itself as Jacob's soul is burned away.

Everything is right in this movie. The direction, acting and dialogue are flawless. The plot is intricate and complex but unfolds logically at a natural pace. The photography is atmospheric and good to look at, and the special effects are understated and yet really make the impact they are supposed to.

This film isn't just good, it is a classic - a movie of movies standing high above the usual junk we get to see. Intelligent, thought provoking, and yet slick and entertaining just like a really good movie should be.

10 out of 10.

I might just watch it again tonight.

No, freako...It was about the Viet Nam war spilling into Cambodia and the Kamir Rouge taking power there. moreover it was about a vietnamese journalist and his ordeal after being left behind at the end of the war....Its a true story of amazing perserverence.....

Back