water spilled on laptop! help?

BlurOfSerenity

the whole story:
last night, my fiance (UndeadExploder... i keep trying to get him to come back here) came upstairs and informed me that he had accidentally spilled about 3/4 of a large glass of water on his laptop (a toshiba qosmio something or other).
of course he immediately turned it off, unplugged it, and mopped up what he could. he said most of the water went under and on the side of the laptop. i went down and checked it for water also. it felt pretty dry, but to be safe i put a towel over the arm of the couch and, like, opened the laptop and placed it upside down on the towel, like a tent, kind of.
we talked about it, he was very freaked out (i'm almost ashamed of what that piece of machinery cost), and i tried to tell him i'm sure it would be ok, if it didn't work anymore we could get it fixed, etc.

eventually, we went back down stairs, he fired it up, and it worked just fine.
for the past 11 hours it has been on, and seems to have suffered no ill effects. we all breathed a sigh of relief.

but what i'm wondering is, is there anything we should do to ensure that really nothing is damaged, or will become damage? i have this horrible mental image of the thing becoming a paperweight in a few days because of corrosion or something.
i'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or has any wisdom to impart.

unclehobart

I would keep it absolutely level and still for at least a week so that any residual moisture will evaporate. You don't want a stray drop rolling over to your mobo and causing a massive chaotic electrical arc.

BlurOfSerenity

ok, cool. luckily he keeps it on a desk, so that is doable for him! (wouldn't be so much for me, lol)
i was thinking of also suggesting to him that he set his screen to go dark after a bit and leave it open when he's not using it, insted of closing it (which i'm pretty sure he just does to save his display)... i'm afraid the warmth of the computer and the closed-ness of the screen could create problems, trapping moisture
do you agree?

BlurOfSerenity

You don't want a stray drop rolling over to your mobo and causing a massive chaotic electrical arc.

lol, before he turned it back on, he plugged the powercord back into it, but i made him unplug it, because i was afraid that if there was an electrical problem... well, you probably wouldn't want the thing plugged into the wall!

Inkara1

Yeah, just make sure the thing is able to dry out properly. Keeping the screen open is a good idea for that.

It really helps that it was water instead of soda or coffee or something.

catocom

put it somewhere vary warm, not hot but warm, like on top of the hot water heater,
in the attic, in a car in the sun protected from the sun, or anywhere warm and dry.
Let it sit there for about 3 days.
Make sure to take out the battery.

You might alternately start it off good by heating it some with a hair drier.

If you have any of those packing materials that dry things (sodium silicate).

here's a helpful link...
http://www.ehow.com/how_113626_clean-laptop-spills.html

BeardofPants

DON'T USE THE HAIR DRYER!!

It will fuse the keys to the keyboard and then it'll be FUBARD.

Also, don't put it on top of the hotwater cylinder for the same reasons. Essentially, he needs to dry it out. I would advise that he not use the laptop until he has done so (take out the battery), leave off, airdry in an airy/sunny space.