We have no soul

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We've sold it. I don't think the highest bidder won either.

Two-thirds say they'll do it for a year's tuition. And for a few, even an iPod touch will do.

That's what NYU students said they'd take in exchange for their right to vote in the next presidential election, a recent survey by an NYU journalism class found.

Only 20 percent said they'd exchange their vote for an iPod touch.

But 66 percent said they'd forfeit their vote for a free ride to NYU. And half said they'd give up the right to vote forever for $1 million.

Source

2minkey

bootlicker
given the voting options we've had for the last several elections, anyone refusing the $1 mil (in $CAD, please) would a fucking moron.
:evilgrin:

Altron

I'm lucky in that I'm getting plenty of financial aid, because I got really high SAT scores, and I'm keeping up a high GPA. And I have wealthy grandparents who are helping me out, so I'm doing it without as many loans as most people.

Without that, I'd be looking at paying off student loans well in my 20s.

Chopping off a quarter of that would be a big deal for most people.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
NYU students? Hell, give it to 'em! They're gonna waste their vote on Shrillary anyway. Pay the idiots off and be done with 'em.

And Altron, I can assure you...you'd be paying those loans back a lot longer than "well into your twenties".

unclehobart

No way man. I've eaten at soul food restaurants and been made an honorary 'brother'. My dancing may look like I'm doing a classic herky-jerky-peeing-on-the-electric-fence thingy... but I have a soul. It might be a feeble one... but its there somewhere.

BeardofPants

SouthernN'Proud said:
And Altron, I can assure you...you'd be paying those loans back a lot longer than "well into your twenties".

I was gonna say...

What's the average incurred debt anyways? Here it's about $5000 per year for 3-4 years (NZ$15,000 - $20,000).

unclehobart

That all depends upon the school. A state school might leave you $25,000 in debt, but a large school might leave you $50,000 in debt. Lets not even talk about the hoity-toity stuff like Harvard.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
A state school over here will leave you with a US$0 debt. Private schools on the other hand...

chcr

Too cute for words
That all depends upon the school. A state school might leave you $25,000 in debt, but a large school might leave you $50,000 in debt. Lets not even talk about the hoity-toity stuff like Harvard.

Went to Cornell. Incurred no debt. Granted that I dropped out but with grants and scholarships and such I would have gotten through four years with no loans and no debt. Graduate school would probably have been another story, but maybe not too. I know it was the dim reaches of antiquity, but surely there are still such avenues available for those who want to work hard enough for them.

TN offers a scholarship program funded by the lottery and one young woman I know personally is going to MTSU on a combination of that and an academic scholarship. She lives at home but she'll have a degree in about two and a half years.

chcr

Too cute for words
Dude, you got a free ride to cornell and you dropped out?? :hmm:
I was in a rock and roll band. We were making what seemed like a hell of a lot of money to a poor farm kid like me. More than anyone I knew who was fresh out of college at the time. Besides, I already knew everything when I was 21, didn't you? :D

Shows that theres a vast difference between intelligence and smarts, doesn't it?

2minkey

bootlicker
i'm lucky that my grad school was paid for. undergrad i had to pay for because i was a high school fuckup...

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, the one I was in when I dropped out of Cornell was called Boffolongo. I did and do play guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, dulcimer and keyboards (well, sort of). Some I picked up later on. In that band I played lead guitar and did backing vocals. AFAIK no recordings exist of them if that was your next question. We were a club band, albeit a popular and better than average one. Since then, I've been a front man more often than a back up guy. I currently play a few sets a month solo doing a lot of seventies singer-songwriter type stuff and do an occasional fill in playing blues guitar. Gotta keep my hand in, y'know.