We just can't have that stuff

SouthernN'Proud said:
That ain't the Confederate flag on that purse.
Well, then could you explain to me why it isn't? (Honest and serious question.) It looks like it is to me.

Here's the news article that goes with the photo.

Confederate handbags spark Burleson debate

02:44 PM CST on Friday, January 6, 2006
By JIM DOUGLAS / WFAA-TV

Jim Douglas reports
BURLESON — Two North Texas high school students who were kicked out of class for displaying rebel flags vow to take their fight to court.

They said they are proud of their heritage, but Burleson High School education officials maintain the Confederate symbol is offensive.

Ashley Thomas said it all started when she was approached by a school administrator.

"Principal comes up and says, 'You've got to get rid of your purse... it's racist,'" Thomas said.

Thomas and Aubrie McAllum both received purses patterned after the Confederate battle flag from their parents for Christmas. Both girls decided to take their presents to school.

"I don't have 'KKK' written on me or anything; it's just a purse," McAllum said. "[It] doesn't have anything to do with what color you are."

The students were asked to leave their purses with the principal; they elected to leave school after calling their parents.

Thomas was sent home three times this week.

"I'm at the point where I really don't know what to do," she said. "I want to keep going to school and get my education, but this is my life. I was born and raised in the South. Why is the flag so bad?"

Burleson ISD spokesman Richard Crummel said it's simply a matter of violating the school's dress code.

"We don't want students to wear anything that might cause a disruption, and that symbol has done that in the past," Crummel said.

Aubrie's father Rick McAllum belongs to the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and said he doesn't buy that response.

"That's a heritage violation on her, on me... on all of us," said McAllum. "So we can push it."

Ashley's mom Joni Thomas is from New York, but the parents of both girls praised their daughters and vowed to fight.

"I'm hiring a lawyer," Thomas said. "I'm going all the way with it, because I think it's wrong."

Burleson High School, with a 2,200 student enrollment, is about 90 percent white and 8 or 9 percent Hispanic. There are very few African-Americans.

"We want to be sensitive to everyone [and] make it comfortable in school for all our students," Crummel said.

Both girls said they have never been in trouble and don't want trouble now. But they don't want to back down, either.

School officials know controversy often follows the Confederate flag, and they will not let it in.

majestyx said:
Well, then could you explain to me why it isn't? (Honest and serious question.) It looks like it is to me.

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!

Professur said:
There's only 4 states listed there.

And I just finished reading the one for Texas. And oddly enough, I don't see where it says they went to war to protect their right to own slaves. Perhaps it's just symantics, but it says that they seceeded for two reasons. One : they would be isolated and surrounded by the confederacy if they didn't join it. And two: they were opposed to the manner in which the north was trying to force them to give up owning slaves. Details, I know, but they are the be-all of laws. It says that the constitution allowed them to own slaves. That they gave up their sovereignity to become a state under that constitution. And that the north was trying to force changed to that document. And that under that changed consititution, the wanted to re-establish their sovereiginy.

Gonz said:
FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!
You say that like it's a bad thing. I asked because I honestly and seriously want to know what the difference between the two are. And, SnP knows me well enough to know that.

majestyx said:
You say that like it's a bad thing. I asked because I honestly and seriously want to know what the difference between the two are. And, SnP knows me well enough to know that.

Once you start SnP, on the subject of the south getting their ass kicked for trying to break up the United States, we're all in danger :shrug:

Go somewhere Gonz. Anywhere. WalMart, McDonald's, doesn't matter.

What HomeLan said.

I also bet I could walk into an NAACP meeting with the Bonnie Blue flag and not raise a single eyebrow...most would think I was a Dallas Cowboys fan in fact.

a kid who knows more than most "adults" said:
"I don't have 'KKK' written on me or anything; it's just a purse," McAllum said. "[It] doesn't have anything to do with what color you are."

an uneducated educator said:
"We don't want students to wear anything that might cause a disruption, and that symbol has done that in the past," Crummel said.

Who disrupted things? Why not punish them? Oh, that's right....we all know why...

majestyx said:
I guess you owe me a buck! :lloyd:
Not really. I do suppose, however that my post might have carried more weight if I could actually spell confederate, huh? :lloyd:

The article reinforces my point. Allegedly responsible journalists don't even know the difference.

Back