Well i did it...

Leslie said:
*points and laughs*
Sorry Leslie, you're not the first and you're unlikely to be the last. :tardbang:

It doesn't concern me as much as it did when I was younger.

chcr said:
Leslie, I have been riding motorcycles since 1972 and I have only had three get-offs (on the street). Never seriously injured. I get tired of hearing how dangerous they are. They aren't.

I rode motorbikes from when I was 21 until I was 5 months pregnant - actually what really stopped me was that some bastard nicked my bike! And I spent the insurance money on stuff for Katie, thinking that I would get another when I went back to work afterwards... famous last words! :rolleyes:

I had a couple of serious crashes both caused by the car driver. I think I'm a better car driver for having ridden a bike though as I take more notice of bikes and other road users. The bikes themselves are not dangerous for a trained rider - I was a member of the advanced motorcyclists association - it's the fact that car drivers are not trained to be aware of them and some of the people who get on them are "wallies" and give the rest of us a bad name. In general you have to ride defensively. I say generally because there is a time and place for everything including speed, you just have to know when it's right and relatively safe to do so - both my accidents were at < 35 mph! My licence allows me to ride any size motorcycle, but after 13 years in a car if I do get another one I will take a training course to brush up on my skills again.

I can handle up to about 1000cc with fair ease, i was never prepared for the weight of that bike, it totally bruised me ego :D

Professur said:
Had over 15 years on bikes myself. Love the ride of a Goldwing. But. You gotta remember that you're not gonna muscle a bike that big. The engine is near as big as that in my Mirage. And bigger than that of many british cars. You gotta finesse it.

But any weight class change is tough. Style change is a bitch too. I did most of my lessons on a 250 custom. When I went for the test, it was on a 535 lowrider. Man did I frag that up. But lesson learned, I aced it the second time round.

That reminds me of an incident just after I got my GT550. I was sitting outside mine on the bike when somehow I lost my balance and toppled over to one side with the bike trapping my left leg. The number of people who just walked past and starred while I was struggling to get it off me was ridiculous, not one offered to help! I eventually got it off by rolling over onto my back and using my other leg to lever it up high enough to slid out. Talk about embarressing! :lol:

I have a friend in Columbus, OH who used to be a motorcycle cop. Those things weigh a ton. He said that it was strange that when you dropped the thing in traffic, you could pick it right back up, but if it fell over in the garage, you'd need two husky friends for help. :D

I put it down to the fact that I was wearing my helmet and all my leather bike gear at the time. With my height and build I always used to get called "Sir" until I took my helmet off... then they'd profusely apologise and call me "Madam"! :rolleyes:

I don't have my glasses on and I hit the wrong button...:p

... and no... I'm not as blind as a bat... my eyes are just a bit blurry today.

Back