What a freaking wonderful way to start a Sunday morning...

Jeslek

Banned
My internet gateway, a P166 with Linux, is shot. The fan apparently stopped working a few hours ago or something, CPU overheated, hard disk corrupted. The CPU still works, but is at 80 or 90 degrees Celcius, and while I get the Linux boot screen, it can't locate the kernel, panics, and goes beserk. :cuss: :yell: :(

Weeee, the hot CPU caused the system to go nuts, but the hard disk data is OK. I gave the fan some lubricant and it is now spinning happily along. I've got internet again :D

i hate fan noises.......

my vid card fan is doing "trrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" :cuss:

That sucks...

...I came home this afternoon to find that no internet was present at all too. My dad's hard disk had apparently crashed (we don't have a dedicated server, server = workstation), and after chkdsk was at 15% and only 5% of the 6000 segments checked were still valid we gave up, removed the 60 GB hd, backed up and formatted the other 13 GB and reinstalled Win2K again... up and running again, dad lost some data like his email box, but thank god he backup up most things that morning to the secondary disk...

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Every Asus Socket A board I've built around has developed the same issue after about a year. The fan on the mobo chipset gives a brrrr sound for about a minute after a cold boot, then it stops (making the noise, not spinning). Wierd. None of them have taken a shit yet, but they all make the noise for the first minute.

HomeLAN said:
Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Every Asus Socket A board I've built around has developed the same issue after about a year. The fan on the mobo chipset gives a brrrr sound for about a minute after a cold boot, then it stops (making the noise, not spinning). Wierd. None of them have taken a shit yet, but they all make the noise for the first minute.

o shit. I just realized something...I started having problems with that when I changed my mobo...into an Asus Socket A....I thought it was my Asus V7700....I replaced it because I wanted more power AND because of that annoying fan...but I had the same thing with my GF4...

Good one, man! I'll look if that might be the problem, has been bugging me for a year now :D

yeah, did that though...but most likely to the wrong fan, so no wonder it didn't help :D

locating sounds while 12 fans are humming is hell :D

ohhhhh yeah, just don't try it on those delta fans, those even have a warning :D

Oh, I did with the one on my Alpha HS...no problem at all, just stick your finger in REALLY quick so it stops quickly...otherwise it does hurt :D

Back