For school

let's start with the now imfamous

Cue For Treason

I also had to read

Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Of Mice and Men
Animal Farm

and strangely, day of the chrisalids...me and one other guy had to read it, because the rest of the class was on a book we already read..........Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (I had a COOL teacher in grade 8)

I had to read a bunch of others, but there names ellude me now

correction

I had to read Day of the Triffids, and the Chrysalids

there is no day of the chrysalids

paul_valaru said:
For school

let's start with the now imfamous

Cue For Treason

I also had to read

Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Of Mice and Men
Animal Farm

and strangely, day of the chrisalids...me and one other guy had to read it, because the rest of the class was on a book we already read..........Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (I had a COOL teacher in grade 8)

I had to read a bunch of others, but there names ellude me now

Never heard of Cue for Treason, but had to read the rest except Day of the Chrisalids. In grade 9 (my cool teacher grade) I got to read Time Enough for Love because I'd already read The Hobbit.

are we talking grades 1-8? I can't remember that far back. :blush:

I do remember a 7th grade teacher lending me a few books from her personal library. I think they were all by Edna Ferber.

The books I remember best are the ones my friends considered required reading: Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, On The Road by Keroauc, Be Here Now by Baba Ram Dass, and anything at all by Carlos Castaneda. :D

Ms Ann Thrope said:
are we talking grades 1-8? I can't remember that far back. :blush:

I do remember a 7th grade teacher lending me a few books from her personal library. I think they were all by Edna Ferber books.

The books I remember best are the ones my friends considered required reading: Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley, Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, On The Road by Keroauc, Be Here Now by Baba Ram Dass, and anything at all by Carlos Castaneda. :D

progressive school

you got to read Keroauc for school, cool

oh a few more, grapes of wrath, 12 angry men

paul_valaru said:
progressive school

you got to read Keroauc for school, cool

oh a few more, grapes of wrath, 12 angry men
the Keroauc wasn't for school....it was one of the books my circle of friends passed around

Ms Ann Thrope said:
the Keroauc wasn't for school....it was one of the books my circle of friends passed around

ahh, gotcha

we had hitchhikers, catcher in the rye, and "Illusions, the tale of a unwilling messiah."

Illusions it the same guy that wrote johnathon livingston seagull

the ones i remember reading the cliff notes for are:
tom sawyer (eventually read it)
a lot of shakespeare
a lot of steinbeck
all quite on the western front (eventually read it)

ones i remember actually reading:
to kill a mockingbird
catcher in the rye
couple of edgar allen poe stories

we had to muddle through one of those poetry compliation books. i remember trying to read beowulf. had a lot of stuff from thoreau, joyce carol oates and others.

I was ok...I only got Romeo and Juilet, The Crucible, Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry and Macbeth

i can't rightly remember what i had to read and what i chose to read...i've always liked the classics....but i'll just list a bunch i enjoyed:
shakespeare - romeo and juliet, julius caesar, taming of the shrew (my favorite), merchant of venice.
vonnegut - i love him...believe i've read and liked everything except i did not enjoy galapagos (sp?)
harper lee - to kill a mockingbird (one of my all time favorite books)
the great gatsby (authors name eludes me at the moment) very good read - full of imagery.
steinbeck- grapes of wrath and of mice and men.
thomas hardy - tess of the d'ubervilles - depressing as hell but a good read.
old man and the sea - jesus...that's hemmingway, right?
mark twain - tom sawyer (had to reread it for 9th grade english, aced it because i read it for the first time at 6...an all-time good read.) and huckleberry finn (which is sooo :snore: )
margaret mitchell - gone with the wind...i love it...always have...routinely bawl my eyes out to the movie. :crying4:
orwell - 1984 and animal farm (4 legs good, 2 legs bad)
kafka - metamorphasis...all i can say is WTF!?!
the prince and the pauper - hmmm...who dat? i forget.
richard bach - jonathan livingston seagull and illusions (i read these on my own and would have been tickled to have had them as assignments.)
arthur miller - the crucible and death of a salesman (this on sucked major ass IMO)
john milton - paradise lost
(destroyed the grading curve on this one...pissed off my english class)
geoffery chaucer - the canterbury tales
assorted works of thoreau and emerson...i confuse them to this day.

i think i may remember more later....

Finished 'Of Mice and Men' today... Damn, that's one dull book. One hundred pages of absolutely nothing. Sigh.
Other than that i've read 'Bored of the Rings' by the Harvard Lampoon, plus a ton of Swedish books.

Edit: Of course i've read other English books in my free time...

Lessee what I can remember (I think all these were forced reading at school......might be some I read at home tho').

Shakespeare - The Merchant of Venice, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummers Nights Dream, The Tempest and Macbeth. (I hated the Merchant of Venice......Shylock was a pussy.......I'd have taken the pound of flesh in the first scene)

Orwell - 1984, Animal Farm, Down and out in Paris and London.

Dahl - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Willie Wonka and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach and a coupla others I can't remember the titles of.

Tolkien - The Hobbit.

Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird (yay for Boo Radley!)

Hobsons Choice (a play)

Kes (twice!!)

Volume upon volume of World War I poetry (yawn! yawn! yawn!)

Adams - The Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy

Lewis - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (didn't mind this......i'd been a fan of Lewis since I was four years old)

Chaucer - The Canterbury Tales (aaarrgghh!!)

Prolly many more..........but it was a long time ago and the brain cells ain't remembering ;)

This is what I have to read:

Data Mining, Han Kamber
Advanced Digital Signal Processing, Zelniker
Artificial Intelligence, Norvig
Elements of AI using Common Lisp, Tanimoto
Machine Vision algorithms in Java, Whelan
Natural language understanding, Allen

About 20% average completed of each so far.

Of Mice and Men
Call of the Wild
Le Morte D'Arthur
The Old Man and the Sea
lots of Shakespeare

hmm... its been 20 years since I've had to think of these things. I'm missing oh so many.

I hated those assignments, sooo boring. Let's see how many I BSed my way through:

Lord of the Flies
Siddhartha
Macbeth
Romeo & Juliet
Of Mice and Men

I had Animal Farm in 8th grade, and I was one of the few that got it without all the explaining by the teacher. I was able to sleep through those classes without missing anything (also Calc III :D ).

Pfftt... Like I remember High School. There is a reason it's called HIGH School, isn't there?

Ok, I remember Wuthering Heights, and a few Shakespeare, and I remember I took Advanced Lit, guess it really sunk in, huh?

Sheesh...:eek5: I didn't know we were supposed to remember them...:retard:

Catcher in the Rye
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Of Mice and Men
Animal Farm
Ivanhoe
Moby Dick
a few Shakespeare pieces

I'm sure there were more...many...more....:sleep:

Hhmmm, the ones I can remember offhand:

Macbeth
Anthony & Cleopatra
Romeo & Juliet
Pygmalion (My Fair Lady)
To Kill A Mockingbird
Sizwe Bansi is Dead
Beloved
Cry the Beloved Country
Boesman and Lena
Animal Farm
Mrs. Doubtfire
A Tale of Two Cities
De Koning van Katoren
Kringe in die Bos
Fiela se Kind
My Kat word Herfs
Droomwa
Die Keiser
Die Storie van Klara Viljee
Siener in die Suburbs

And too many poems to recall.

Um... we had to read some weird stuff... like geography textbooks! ;) :p
j/k

Okay, um....
Out of the ones that we had to read, there was (in order of what we read):
Julius Caesar
Much a do about nothing
Lord of the Flies
To Kill A Mocking Bird
The Wave
Romeo and Juliet
MacBeth

And as well as WAY TO MANY South African ones I choose not to remember (there were roughly 20 of them for English (on top of what we read above, and as well as another 20-25 Afrikaans ones we had to read *shudder*)

Back