What do I need to network my computers?

Aunty Em

I read on that site that there are routers with built in wireless, but I suppose it depends on price and availability.

Well that wasn't so painful was it? I'll have to find out how much this is all going to cost me. I'll probably do the KVM first so I can use both computers individually. It must be cheaper than buying an extra monitor, keyboard and mouse, plus I have no room to put it anyway. :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Yeah, just watch the cable thing, it looks like that one comes with the cables. When I looked at getting one a year or so ago, they didn't come with the cables, and the cables cost as much as the switch. :retard:

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
Yeah, just watch the cable thing, it looks like that one comes with the cables. When I looked at getting one a year or so ago, they didn't come with the cables, and the cables cost as much as the switch. :retard:

I've got the price list, so believe me I know! I'm looking at several different sites and so far it looks like belkin are the cheapest plus they come with the cables.

Mirlyn

FYI, if you didn't know already...

If your daughter has a desktop PC, you'll need the PCI adapter and a PCMCIA card. If she's got a laptop, then just the PCMCIA card will do.

Mirlyn

because the wireless cards look like this:

900360.jpg

...and you'll have to adapt it to allow your PCI slot to use it. The adapter is what they have pictured on the third link you last posted, and the wifi cards slide into those adapters.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
One thing you may have problems with, if you boot into Linux you will have to use a third party app for the linux box to talk to the windows box. If you're going through a router, the internet connection should pretty well set itself up, but actually transfering files from a windows box to a linux box can be an adventure.

The daemon that does that is called Samba, and there's a web front end to configure it called SWAT, so you won't have to manually edit the samba files.

In order to see the other puter's partitions you'll have to use smbmount, i think there's a graphic app called gnomba that allows you to browse and mount samba fs.

Aunty Em

OK, thanks for explaining that - that takes it up to about £200, but considering how much it would cost to wire her in, that's cheap in money, time and effort. :)

I think I'll plan that for christmas.

Mirlyn

Luis G said:
PuterTutor said:
One thing you may have problems with, if you boot into Linux you will have to use a third party app for the linux box to talk to the windows box. If you're going through a router, the internet connection should pretty well set itself up, but actually transfering files from a windows box to a linux box can be an adventure.

The daemon that does that is called Samba, and there's a web front end to configure it called SWAT, so you won't have to manually edit the samba files.

In order to see the other puter's partitions you'll have to use smbmount, i think there's a graphic app called gnomba that allows you to browse and mount samba fs.
Yep... http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnomba/ for more info....tried it once, but never stayed with it. I'm a command-line person. :p

PuterTutor said:
You could probably even burn off a 1 gig network.

Yup, i burn at 52x regularly from the network, though i used to do the same with 100mbit with the odd coaster, none so far with 1gbit :)