What does eleventy bajillion dollars get you

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Traffic has been backed up for miles because of a deadly ceiling collapse inside a Big Dig tunnel in Boston.

Officials blame a steel ceiling tie for giving way, releasing three-ton slabs of concrete and crushing a car inside the major Interstate 90 connector. Authorities say the car's driver crawled through a window to get out, but his passenger was killed.

Officials are asking drivers -- especially those headed for Logan Airport -- to take public transit, instead of facing the extensive detours and delays.

The head of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority calls it an "unacceptable, horrible tragedy" for a project already troubled by billions in cost overruns and allegations of shoddy construction.

The damaged section is closed indefinitely for repairs and inspections.

Engineering marvel at your disposal.

Yeah, that is one Public Works project nobody can be proud of. I had to live with that crap, well, let's see, about half my life, and they still haven't finished. So glad to see where my money goes... son ofa....

i was listening to all the politicians that are in control of the tunnel on the news this morning. they all expressed outrage and condemnation of the shoddy construction and that the company that built that section is going to have to pay for its poor work.
only one problem. the company that built that ceiling has since gone bankrupt.
i was leary about using those tunnels before. now i'll stick to the surface roads if i need to get into town. i'll go all the way around Boston if i'm heading north.

woodman19_99 said:
495 or 128?

495. its closer and much lighter traffic even during rush hour. lot longer trip, but better than watching the tunnel ceiling for leaks and falling debris.

i know what you mean.

i hate 128.
3 lanes of traffic going 80mph 10 feet away from each other. and there is always that one person in the middle lane doing 50. i think all the people that drive that highway regularly have had their minds warped by the massive traffic jams they sit in twice a day.

looks like someone knew the bolt setup was faulty.
Attorney General Thomas F. Reilly said at an afternoon press conference that anchor bolts similar to those involved in the partial collapse of the Interstate 90 connector tunnel failed field studies as far back as 1999.
When anchor bolts gave way Monday night, 12-tons of ceiling tiles crashed into the tunnel, killing Milena Del Valle, 38, of Jamaica Plain

link

Preliminary inspections of the tunnel after the deadly collapse Monday night found at least 60 more signs of loose bolts and other potential failures in the tunnel's eastbound lanes, according to Massachusetts Turnpike Authority Chairman Matthew Amorello and Michael Lewis, project director of the Big Dig.
In some places, bolts had started to come out of concrete tunnel ceilings. In others, gaps had developed between the ceilings and metal plates that are part of the bracing that has been used to hold the massive panels aloft.

:eek5:

link

the ones that failed were held in place by epoxy. in other sections, the bolts were attaced to a steel rod that ran through the concrete.

could be months before the tunnel is reopened

State and federal investigators have focused on bolts used to hold the drop-ceiling system in place. Each of the concrete slabs suspended above the roadway weighs three tons.

In some cases, inspectors have found ceiling bolts pulled as much as three-eighths of an inch away from the tunnel's concrete roof, he said. Investigators are focusing on the bolts and the epoxy glue used to secure them.

i imagine pipes wouldnt be able to handle the large amount of pollutants that need to be removed from the tunnel. there are spaces below the roadway that act as part of the ventillation system also.

Yet another phobia moves into the realm of "Could so happen!!! Probably won't but it COULD!"

*vindicated*

Back