What goes around, comes around

jimpeel

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It seems that not everyone is enamored of the Wilderness Society. They strut around feel in sooooo good about themselves. They take other people's lad and claim that they have "elevated" these people. What a bunch of elitist snobs!

SOURCE

Cape York activists gatecrash Wilderness party

By David Mark for AM

Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:00am AEST
Updated Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:07am AEST

The Wilderness Society is used to conducting its own protests and street theatre, but the tables were turned last night when a group of Aboriginal activists from Cape York gatecrashed a fundraising party in Sydney.

Two giant koalas led a group of Aboriginal people in chains through the entertainment district of Sydney's Fox Studios.

The Cape York Aborigines went to Sydney to protest about Queensland's Wild Rivers legislation, which bans development within two kilometres of gazetted rivers.

They blame the Wilderness Society for instigating the legislation, which they argue denies them the ability to use their land.

Tania Major, a Cape York woman and the 2007 Young Australian of the Year, says the legislation "is not acceptable in Australia".

"We want all of Australia to know that this is how we feel," she said.

"What the Wilderness Society is doing on our land is ... they are basically not giving us a choice to determine how we want to manage our land. Gone are those days."

"The Wild Rivers legislation is irresponsible. It is widely hypocritical and it is basically divorced from the reality on the ground.

"It is not giving people the opportunity to make choices around businesses, sustain business development for people on the ground."

Ms Major says the legislation is not just about gazetting areas of Cape York National Parks or the equivalent to maintain them for natural purposes.

"It is not so much about conservation. We are all for conservation but the bottom line is, there was no consent. The was no community engagement," she said.

The protesters say the Wilderness Society made a deal with the Queensland Government to introduce the Wild Rivers legislation in return for Green preferences.

Last night, members of the society were holding a fundraiser at one of the Fox Studios bars when Ms Major and her entourage gatecrashed their party.

It may have been a taste of their own medicine; it certainly was not the sort of party the environmentalists were expecting.

"I think it was confronting," one guest said.

"It is scene setting. It is dramatic. It gets people's attention," another said.

But Wilderness Society member Anna Christie was not moved by the Cape York Aborigines' message.

"I am aware of the dispute between the Aboriginal people and the environmental movement up there particularly, but I have to say environmental sustainability comes first," she said.

Ms Christie says she has no sympathy for their argument that they want to be able to develop their land.

They may not have won any friends on the night, but as the Cape York Aborigines climbed into the stretch limousines they hired for the occasion, they were claiming a victory.

A small step in a campaign they say is as important as Wik or Mabo.

"I am aware of the dispute between the Aboriginal people and the environmental movement up there particularly, but I have to say environmental sustainability comes first," she said.

Hell yeah.

I'm sure that she and her group will be far better stewards of the land than the native peoples who have lived there for thousands of years before she and her band of elitists showed up with a better idea.

IMO the Aborigines are very smart, and need to be left the hell alone.

that probably is only a matter or time though.

Aboriginals are rarely left alone, cat. That's how we ended up the minority in our own homeland in the first place.

Didn't say that..what I'm saying is that we shouldn't be horribly surprised that yet another group is trying to stomp down any form of self-sufficiency or self-government by aboriginals.

Aboriginals are rarely left alone, cat. That's how we ended up the minority in our own homeland in the first place.

you mean how they ended up with you you imperialist bastiches.

for once peel is right. and now he's leaving the site. hmmmm.

Prof's the imperialist...God save the Queen. I'm the native dude. :)

Aboriginals in stretch limos, tho'?

AINO ;)

Aboriginals are just as susceptible as any group of inflicting their presence on the environment in a negative way.

Aboriginals are just as susceptible as any group of inflicting their presence on the environment in a negative way.

ditto for a positive way..but when you don't even give them a word in what's being done to their land, you take away their options. No choice, no responsibility.

ha ha no shit. there's this big mythology here about the natives and how wonderful they were to the planet. how they used "all parts of" (whatever animal they just killed) and in doing so honored the dead deer or whatever. of course there's also been many situations where natives have been just as wasteful with their resources as mofo whitey, but that ain't the myth nuh uh.

still, the idea of these sustainability weenies steamrolling the natives is bullshit. their particular brand of moralizing is so_not_cool.

Back