What happens when ...

jimpeel

you can't wait for the government to take two years and $4 million dollars to fix a bridge?

You do it yourself in eight days.

Just wait until the government cronies get hold of this and tell them their work was substandard and the bridge will have to be demolished.

It's not nice to make the government look bad.

SOURCE

updated 3:44 p.m. EDT, Thu April 9, 2009

Island DIY: Kauai residents don't wait for state to repair road

By Mallory Simon
CNN

(CNN) -- Their livelihood was being threatened, and they were tired of waiting for government help, so business owners and residents on Hawaii's Kauai island pulled together and completed a $4 million repair job to a state park -- for free.

Polihale State Park has been closed since severe flooding destroyed an access road to the park and damaged facilities in December.

The state Department of Land and Natural Resources had estimated that the damage would cost $4 million to fix, money the agency doesn't have, according to a news release from department Chairwoman Laura Thielen.

"It would not have been open this summer, and it probably wouldn't be open next summer," said Bruce Pleas, a local surfer who helped organize the volunteers. "They said it would probably take two years. And with the way they are cutting funds, we felt like they'd never get the money to fix it."

And if the repairs weren't made, some business owners faced the possibility of having to shut down.

Ivan Slack, co-owner of Napali Kayak, said his company relies solely on revenue from kayak tours and needs the state park to be open to operate. The company jumped in and donated resources because it knew that without the repairs, Napali Kayak would be in financial trouble.

"If the park is not open, it would be extreme for us, to say the least," he said. "Bankruptcy would be imminent. How many years can you be expected to continue operating, owning 15-passenger vans, $2 million in insurance and a staff? For us, it was crucial, and our survival was dependent on it. That park is the key to the sheer survival of the business."

So Slack, other business owners and residents made the decision not to sit on their hands and wait for state money that many expected would never come. Instead, they pulled together machinery and manpower and hit the ground running March 23.

Video Watch the volunteers repairing the road »

And after only eight days, all of the repairs were done, Pleas said. It was a shockingly quick fix to a problem that may have taken much longer if they waited for state money to funnel in.

"We can wait around for the state or federal government to make this move, or we can go out and do our part," Slack said. "Just like everyone's sitting around waiting for a stimulus check, we were waiting for this but decided we couldn't wait anymore."

Thielen has been waiting, too. She wants the legislature to approve her Recreation Renaissance project, a $240 million booster shot to help fix parks across the state. Without it, at least five state parks may be forced to close, and there would be no emergency repair money to fix Polihale State Park.

"We shouldn't have to do this, but when it gets to a state level, it just gets so bureaucratic, something that took us eight days would have taken them years," said Troy Martin of Martin Steel, who donated machinery and steel for the repairs. "So we got together -- the community -- and we got it done."

Photo See photos of the volunteers working to repair the road »

The park is a fixture on the west side of the island and a favorite spot for many in the area, but it's also a hub for tourists.

"Tourism is our lifeblood. It's what pays all of our bills," Slack said. "The money that pours in comes from tourism is really an important factor for everyone here in Hawaii, and it's such an important time to encourage tourism."

And it's an important time to keep jobs, which were threatened if the park had to remain closed. In February, Kauai's unemployment rate was at 9.1 percent, up from 2.8 percent during the same time in 2008, according to Hawaii's Department of Labor.

"I think it's crucial to say the doors are open, everyone is ready," Slack said. "So when one of the most important parks in Hawaii is closed, it really changes things."

Now, because of their hard work, volunteers hope they'll be ready to send that positive message -- right in time for the tourist season.

Slack said he likes to have business up and running by April 15, and the season gets busy around May 1.

The business owners and residents are hopeful that their generous contributions in time and resources mean the park should officially open soon. Pleas says they have only to get the new bridge certified and do minor cleanup.

"A lot of people are quietly sitting by, waiting for it to open," Slack said. "This really this is one of the nicest parks in the state and in all of Hawaii, in the entire state parks department. Now, hopefully, those people get their wish."

So... instead of taking a pat on the back approach to this story... you twist it into something negative. Hmmmm... well, I'm going to say "congratulations" to the volunteers who helped that state park road get finished! I think that's far more appropriate than turning it into something bad.

(You know, you do this too much. You bash the soldiers in Iraq. You bash these selfless volunteers. Tisk tisk!)

We have a lot of state parks in my state. They do not get much funding. They thrive on the unending, tireless volunteer work from the citizens who truly appreciate these parks. :thumbup:

My hat is off to these volunteers! Good job, all of you! :headbng2:

Yeah, as I see it he was praising the people who got the bridge built, (rightly so I must agree) and bagging on things like legal construction regulations which keep us safe, but yet I am sure in his opinion, have way too much cost attached to them, in terms of government spending, and impose unfair restrictions on the poor little put upon construction moguls (although I will agree that just now everyone is hurting to some extent and these guys pretty badly). He wants government spending down and government size reduced, and he thinks, to some extent erroneously, that deregulation will be good for everyone.

But then Jim, with the government spending so much on stimulus packages you don't believe in, on social security for the elderly and disabled, and that whopping less than 1% they spend on welfare, cuz ya know, isn't it been proven that even though most programs are time limited these days, that 99.9% of people on any kind of welfare are slackers and scammers probably working under the table making bank and sucking welfare tit just cuz of raw greed, or pure laziness?.....Is that about right Jim? Of course we know that big business gets the rap for raw greed but for the most part, they create jobs and if left unchecked by the government, where they can make a healthy profit, are completely benevolent entities and should be tax exempt!

So that bein' said ol' Jimmy boy, knowing how strapped uncle Sam is, not funding a project in a national park at this time is bad evil government in action why?

Funny...I thought that he was merely knocking bureaucratic red-tape and the BS it leads to.

That's how I saw it ... with the added twist that the gov't would have to find something wrong with it just to justify their own existance ... even if it's just that non-union personel was used.

Perhaps he was, and I didn't see that, but I'd be willing to bet, though I doubt he would actually admit it, that what I said had a big part of his disgust too.

That's how I saw it ... with the added twist that the gov't would have to find something wrong with it just to justify their own existance ... even if it's just that non-union personel was used.
Does Hawaii have a regulation that requires road construction crew to join a union? We don't have anything like that in Texas.

Does Hawaii have a regulation that requires road construction crew to join a union? We don't have anything like that in Texas.

Most places have regs of that sort. If the civil servants are unionized, all work on public property must be performed either by unionized labour, or through a contract bidding process which allows unionized labour an equal chance at obtaining the contract.

Well would you not say that bureaucratic red tape is a side effect of over bloated government? I'd have to say I agree with Jim that the government is too big, but where we differ is that I think a lot of it can be attributed to inefficiency, and I'm sure we would differ on what is appropriate and what is needed. I simply played devil's advocate and used my talent for sarcasm and dramatic effect.

oh i think jim would argue for "inefficiency" just as, nay, far more, vigorously than you would.

and you'd both be wrong in some respects.

there's a reason why much of the shit the government does has not been taken over by private companies (other than simply enumerated powers). because those things can't be done efficiently (or profitably), in the sense of a well-trimmed production line that knocks out widgets lickety-split.

try running a jury trail with "efficiency" in mind. see what happens. oh, no! waste and slowness everywhere!

Most places have regs of that sort. If the civil servants are unionized, all work on public property must be performed either by unionized labour, or through a contract bidding process which allows unionized labour an equal chance at obtaining the contract.

We've also got a "prevailing wage" requirement out here for government jobs. In Atascadero, there's this movie theater/shopping center that's waiting to be built that's a key part of downtown revitalization. But the financing has been a bitch, and the builder was wanting the city to help out with $1 million. Problem was, if the city kicked in money, then it would trigger prevailing wage for the project, and that would increase the cost of the project by a good bit more than the $1 million.

Right now, we've got the parking spaces paved (bu the lot is fenced off so we can't use the parking spaces for parades and other stuff), a bunch of dirt otherwise, and assurances that financing is on its way.

So... instead of taking a pat on the back approach to this story... you twist it into something negative. Hmmmm... well, I'm going to say "congratulations" to the volunteers who helped that state park road get finished! I think that's far more appropriate than turning it into something bad.

(You know, you do this too much. You bash the soldiers in Iraq. You bash these selfless volunteers. Tisk tisk!)

We have a lot of state parks in my state. They do not get much funding. They thrive on the unending, tireless volunteer work from the citizens who truly appreciate these parks. :thumbup:

My hat is off to these volunteers! Good job, all of you! :headbng2:

Are you just a natural born contrarian? I post a positive about the soldiers and how the president calls what he previously denounced a "great gift and you interpret that as my bashing the soldiers. Who I am bashing is a president who, from one side of his mouth, denounces the efforts of the soldiers and from the other praises those same efforts.

I post a positive story of people willing to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps instead of waiting for the government to do for them and you interpret that as my bashing these fantastic people. Who I am bashing is the government cronies who will have to "approve" of their work. If these people pissed them off, they will likely never get the work signed off. Like I said, Its not nice to make the government look bad and they will get you for it.

You truly are an idiot of the highest order if you actually believed what you wrote.

You instead are trying to be inciteful (not insightful) by turning everything I say to mean the exact opposite of what is meant. Keep trying. I doesn't work. It didn't work for Spike and it won't work for you.

If not that, perhaps a short course on reading for comprehension would be appropriate for you.

denounces the efforts of the soldiers

Where?

You instead are trying to be inciteful (not insightful) by turning everything I say to mean the exact opposite of what is meant. Keep trying. I doesn't work. It didn't work for Spike and it won't work for you.

If not that, perhaps a short course on reading for comprehension would be appropriate for you.

Hey Jim, you really got no business accusing anyone of being inciteful after all the trolling and insults that you've made.

Also I don't turn anything you say into the exact opposite. However you regularly try to make up shit I didn't say, attribute it to me, and then argue against it.

If anyone is an idiot and needs a course on reading comprehension (and logic) here it's you.

Back