What is personal responsibility?

PT said:
Wow. This really is becoming a big problem. This one just sends chills down my spine.

How long before murder isn't really your fault, but societys in general?

Happening a little now PT

Bobby Hogg said:
I was wondering about the "gay marriage" issue too. Being gay isn't a choice.

BTDT...As much as the gay population likes to point out at genetics, the actual number of people with "genetic" homosexuality is extremely low. By that fact, the only reason left is choice.

Gato_Solo said:
BTDT...As much as the gay population likes to point out at genetics, the actual number of people with "genetic" homosexuality is extremely low. By that fact, the only reason left is choice.

As far as I am aware, no genetic marker of homosexuality has been confirmed.

Even there was, there's no reason to think there would be only a single factor. Additionally, the scope of human sexuality is wide enough to mean that it's probably affected by a combination of environmental conditions, social factors and biological heritability.

Bobby Hogg said:
As far as I am aware, no genetic marker of homosexuality has been confirmed.

Even there was, there's no reason to think there would be only a single factor. Additionally, the scope of human sexuality is wide enough to mean that it's probably affected by a combination of environmental conditions, social factors and biological heritability.

So...if it's not genetic, then it's psychological...meaning it's a choice.

Gato_Solo said:

Well, that's not what I said. I said it could be a combination of things, not necessarily dependent on a single genetic factor.

It could be a biochemical trait that arises during development because of environmental influences, for example.

Can you choose who you are attracted to?

Bobby Hogg said:
Well, that's not what I said. I said it could be a combination of things, not necessarily dependent on a single genetic factor.

But when you remove the genetic component, all you have left is the psychological.

BH said:
It could be a biochemical trait that arises during development because of environmental influences, for example.

Ahh...so now it's a side effect of something. You know you're digging yourself in deeper, right?

BH said:
Can you choose who you are attracted to?

Yes, you can, for the most part. Just stay away from 'beer goggles', and you'll see what I mean.

Gato_Solo said:
But when you remove the genetic component, all you have left is the psychological.

That's not true. The role genetics plays in sexual attraction is unclear, that's all I am saying. Without knowing the exact physiological pathway of sexual attraction it's hard to say what could affect it. In fact, we aren't sure how much genetics contributes to personality at all.

You can't "train" someone not to be gay, either. People try to hide their sexuality because of the reaction of society.

Gato_Solo said:
Ahh...so now it's a side effect of something. You know you're digging yourself in deeper, right?

That's not what I said, again. Could be that if your mother's womb is 1 degree of temperature higher than normal, some aspect of development is altered that results in a biochemical pathway producing an opposing effect. Theoretically.

Or the genetic component of sexuality could be based on random recombination events.

That said, there is clearly a strong social influence on what people find attractive. You can see that in how what constitutes "attractive" changes in art and media over time.

Gato_Solo said:
Yes, you can, for the most part. Just stay away from 'beer goggles', and you'll see what I mean.

I don't think you can make a conscious choice of who you are attracted to, gay or straight.

I've suffered from "beer goggles" before, but it's never made me horny for a bloke.

Gato_Solo said:
You should well know there's much evidence that it's not choice. It doesn't really matter though. Some guys are attracted to extrememly overweight women. Just because you may not be doesn't give you any right to discriminate against them.

The hell it don't

I gots the 'right' to discriminate
anyway I God dammed well please!

"fat bottomed girls
make the rockin' world go round"!

q12brn.JPG

flavio said:
You should well know there's much evidence that it's not choice. It doesn't really matter though. Some guys are attracted to extrememly overweight women. Just because you may not be doesn't give you any right to discriminate against them.

Spare me. Body shape is still not homosexuality. Did you run out of steam already?

Gato_Solo said:
Spare me. Body shape is still not homosexuality. Did you run out of steam already?
It's just another example showing that you can't legislate who people are attracted to. If they are consenting adults then what's the problem?

flavio said:
It's just another example showing that you can't legislate who people are attracted to. If they are consenting adults then what's the problem?

It's not about legislating who somebody is attracted to. It's about validating that attraction. Back 30 years ago, when homosexual acts were considered a crime, and homosexuality was considered a mental abberation, most who claimed to be homosexual kept it to themselves. They knew what they were doing was illegal and would give them jail time in worst-case scenarios. They chose to keep quiet, rather than risk their freedom. Now that homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness, it seems that the homosexual folks have decided that heterosexual people are the abberations, so they must do what they can to disrupt what we have in order to validate their lifestyle.

The whole problem is Prisons.

There just isn't enough space, or man power, so we just have to make Everything OK.

Any good reason why homosexuality should be illegal or why anyone should have to hide it?

The very fact that homosexuality has existed throughout history (and throughout the entire natural world, for that matter) shows that it is here to stay. It's not a threat to our existence. I do not see what anyone achieves by trying to force homosexuals to suppress their sexuality.

Gato_Solo said:
It's not about legislating who somebody is attracted to. It's about validating that attraction. Back 30 years ago, when homosexual acts were considered a crime, and homosexuality was considered a mental abberation, most who claimed to be homosexual kept it to themselves. They knew what they were doing was illegal and would give them jail time in worst-case scenarios. They chose to keep quiet, rather than risk their freedom.
Good thing that changed.

Now that homosexuality is no longer listed as a mental illness, it seems that the homosexual folks have decided that heterosexual people are the abberations, so they must do what they can to disrupt what we have in order to validate their lifestyle.
Allowing same sex marriage does not disrupt what you have. Neither does allowing guys to marry severely overweight women.

Bobby Hogg said:
Any good reason why homosexuality should be illegal or why anyone should have to hide it?

The very fact that homosexuality has existed throughout history (and throughout the entire natural world, for that matter) shows that it is here to stay. It's not a threat to our existence. I do not see what anyone achieves by trying to force homosexuals to suppress their sexuality.
http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=455944&postcount=11

flavio said:
Good thing that changed.

Allowing same sex marriage does not disrupt what you have. Neither does allowing guys to marry severely overweight women.

Once again, you try to link two totally incompatible items to prove your point. Find another comparison, because what you describe is a male-female relationship...the way nature intended, and not the male-male, or female-female, relationship that is striving for validation and acceptance.

Back