What would you rather have?

What would you rather have?

• Green lights for life! (traffic lights)

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • Never to be put on hold ever again, and no telemarketers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I agree, and no automatics allowed. They should have a law for that, only race when you're using a manual gearbox :D. Anyways, there are enough places here where they have traffic lights between freeways where you are allowed to go up to 120 km/h...

...like I said, my car is pretty slow, but it's still fun when I can accelerate faster than some weeners in their Volkswagen Golf (which seems to be 'the car for cool people' around here, and they act like that too, I love it when they see me in a Nissan catching up with them easily :D)

Automatics have faster acceleration... Take the Corvette. 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic. The final gear ratio is the SAME IN BOTH cars, so the top speed is exactly the same. BUT, since the automatic has only 4 gears, the rpms will be, on average, much higher than the manual. Not to mention the automatic will shift gears in under 0.5 seconds without loosing a lot of torque :)hug: the computer), and needs to do it only 3 times compared to having to clutch 5 times for over a second on a manual... ;)

However, manuals are much more fun to drive. :p

LastLegionary said:
BUT, since the automatic has only 4 gears, the rpms will be, on average, much higher than the manual
I don't see a logic in that. If the highest gear is the same in both, the 6-gear will have shortest relations on most cases. Short gears = higher acceleration. If you step thru the maximum rpm in every gear you'll have max rpm 5 times with a 6 gear and 3 times with a 4 gear. Therefore, more gears = high rpm most of the time...

I've seen that many automatic cars have more horsepower, however, they lack a few km/h in max speed and a few fractions of second in acceleration.

Yeah, that's the standard for cars of same power. Today's technology is shorting the range between them. But I still doubt a 4 gear can overrate an 6 gear, even if his gearbox can shift faster...

AlladinSane said:
Yeah, that's the standard for cars of same power. Today's technology is shorting the range between them. But I still doubt a 4 gear can overrate an 6 gear, even if his gearbox can shift faster...
It can. Why else do you think Corvettes come in automatics? And for that matter, F1 also has automatic shifting.

*marching with a sign in my hand*

No more telemarketers!!!!! :D

I can handle red lights, no problem....'cept when I'm really late!

LastLegionary said:
And for that matter, F1 also has automatic shifting.

Since when? :confuse3: It's got computer-controlled shifting, yes, but the driver still has to decide when it's time to shift... so that would combine the best of both ways I guess...

LastLegionary said:
Why else do you think Corvettes come in automatics? And for that matter, F1 also has automatic shifting.
'til I know, Corvettes have used automatics since the times when they were way slower than manuals, simply because american people doesn't like shifting gears. As for F1s they use semi-automatic shift for some time now, and I'm not sure if regular car systems can put up with the expensive equipment they use in F1 cars. Even if they do I still doubt a 4 speed auto equiped with such a feature would outrun a 6 speed in a duel to high speeds(let's say 0-125 mph). Sorry but my reason can't see it otherwise...

green lights for me too ... i easily hang up on telemarketers.
i don't like being on hold though. oh the dilemma :D

no more telemarketers. would rather spend less time on the phone(theyre evil i tell you evil!) jk. id rather have that cause at a red light you can listen to the radio or listen to cd/casette.

kuulani said:
green lights for me too ... i easily hang up on telemarketers.
i don't like being on hold though. oh the dilemma :D
Hang on a minute..

:D

OK, so you actually have traffic lights in Hawaii? :confuse3: I'm shocked.

Just kidding... :p[/siz]

I'm not, what did you expect to be at the end of the ramps from their interstates in Hawaii? :D

I hate telelmarketers, they use those evil devices known as phones to harass whoever they please. :eek: :D

I'll take the "greens". Don't answer the phone that often anyhows. The few times when I do get telemarketers, I give them a really interesting or disinteresting run for thier money.

Anyway, the more green lights I get, the sooner I get to the places I want to go.............'course the most fun places include mud, dirt, hills and the element of being one with my machine & the earth.

Back