What's all this, then...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
»John Birt, Tony Blair's key adviser in Downing Street, identified the abolition of National Service as a significant factor in the “exponential” rise in crime over the past 50 years

Interesting. I wonder if there's any correlation here in the US re crime vs conscription.

Yes war is a billion dollar industry and the last bastion of the conservative capitalist's economic stimulus ideas. Obviously when you put someone in the military, it will reduce the crime, but I doubt it's near as big a factor as Birt wants his country to believe.

Look into that link Gato that ought to be enough to make you "killin' mad" which could be a good thing in your business.

The truth will win out I believe, eventually, and mass media and instant worldwide communication is a big part of the evolution of our species. I choose to look at it optimistically.

I only wonder how much longer the death and slavery has to continue before the world begins to reject it outright.

BTW, you should probably just read articles critical of the movie, and then decide it's all bullshit because it's a truth that will challenge almost everything you may believe.

I doubt any but perhaps one or two of y'all would be able to handle it anyway, but it's tragic yet hauntingly beautiful, and if your mind is open you can't help but see that a lot of it is truth. I personally am undecided on exactly how much is true, but I know it's a lot more than even I want to admit.

BTW, you should probably just read articles critical of the movie, and then decide it's all bullshit because it's a truth that will challenge almost everything you may believe.

I doubt any but perhaps one or two of y'all would be able to handle it anyway, but it's tragic yet hauntingly beautiful, and if your mind is open you can't help but see that a lot of it is truth. I personally am undecided on exactly how much is true, but I know it's a lot more than even I want to admit.

yeah i don't think i could handle it. it just sounds so challenging. good thing you're around to appreciate it.

You know... I once heard of a thing called projection. For example, if a guy keeps on accusing his woman of cheating on him, maybe it's him that's cheating. Or maybe if some guy keeps telling everyone else they're closed-minded (NOT CLOSE-MINDED! I wish people would get that right!) then maybe the accuser is guilty himself.

You know... I once heard of a thing called projection. For example, if a guy keeps on accusing his woman of cheating on him, maybe it's him that's cheating. Or maybe if some guy keeps telling everyone else they're closed-minded (NOT CLOSE-MINDED! I wish people would get that right!) then maybe the accuser is guilty himself.

Close-minded means you can't think far away?

LOL 2minkey I was thinking as you as one of those two. Perhaps I am too pessimistic about the people here, it may be more like four or five.

But BTW thanks for pointing out what an arrogant prick I am, and I say that in all seriousness. I need to be reminded of my shortcomings now and again so I can try to keep them in check.

The point is is the movie has a lot of information in it, stuff that sounds very rational and logical and has the feel of truth. Unfortunately though most people have their idea of reality carved on stone tablets and it can be very upsetting for them to have to get new stone and re carve the tablets. So they just hear about some revolutionary book or movie from say....Fox "News" (or any of a million spin factories), then they debunk it without even watching the damn thing.

I'd wager that many of the cons in here never saw Fahrenheit 911, simply because it was a Michael Moore film, and same for Sicko, and An inconvenient Truth. All the same all three movies had a lot of truth in them. Were they propaganda? Yes, to a point, they were, but to discount them out of hand is wrong because there was a lot of meat on dem bones! Fact is though I am more on Moore's side of these issues, as soon as Fahrenhype 911 came out I saw it too, because I do like to be informed.

My point is that there is a lot to "the movie in question", but be forewarned, that if you are not one who can "take what you need and leave the rest", or are not prepared to have all your training and programmed beliefs challenged it's not for you. Even I had to turn it off during part three because some of the truth's revealed withing were so scary and depressing, and at the same time nothing I can do anything about, that I decided to get back to it later.

[in jackass mode]Oh and BTW some of you will probably spontaneously combust or be assassinated if you attempt to obtain and watch "the movie in question"!

The world will not allow some of you and the truth to coexist in the same proximity....[/in jackass mode]

The argument on the first page about "close parentheses" and "close quotes" is the wrong kind of argument to use. It would be a close quote because the quote is closing something. In other words, it's a verb. It's an action. But the mind is not closing anything. It's the closee, not the closer.

Didn't say whether I agreed with any particular argument, just that both are valid.

In any case, you can close your mind, or you can have a closed mind.

What, if anything, does that have to do with crime statistics after conscription?

What part of off topic does he fail to understand?

Either that or how far will he go in his quest to convince me and everyone else that he rarely reads my posts, which, in and of itself suggests quite the contrary?

You're only fooling yourself, if that Gato!

Pathetic!

:finger:

I'm proud of you for trying, if that's indeed true Gonz, but I remain skeptical....

Still if it is true, for every one of you there are at least two others who read critical "anti" reviews, and at least one of those just lies and says they saw it.

And that is true of people on either side of the political aisle to be fair.

I've "obtained" Gore and Moore movies recently (certainly wasn't going to contribute to the financial gains). I've been thinking that the time is close to make a movie about Algores movie. Mikeys movies are less then worthy, but I figured they may come in handy someday, get em while I can I figure.

I've watched none of them completely yet, but I have seens plent-0-clips of all three, including most of Algores 'money-maker'.

Once again...what has any of this do for the corellation between rising crime and conscription?

What part of OFF TOPIC don't you get?
;)

Just saying...looks like it was taken off-topic in the first or second response in order to further some other agenda. I really can't tell because the poster is on ignore...

Back