What's the deal?

catocom

I saw one 5 minute spot about this on fox....nothing else.
More media bias?
These people want more recognition, I say give it to them.
People need to see what's only going to get worse.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-march11.html

Riot's? We haven't seen riots yet. This is probably going to get ugly,
or either the congress and senate will give in to them ... again.

I've heard nothign about it

in a nutshell said:
As many as 100,000 marchers crammed the streets of the Near West Side and the Loop Friday, demanding better treatment for immigrants and opposing a bill that they say would deem many of them criminals.

The marchers waved American flags, chanted at deafening levels and snarled traffic for five hours.

"That bill is the catalyst," said Gabe Gonzalez, director of organizing for the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights. "It's wrong. These people work here. They pay taxes. They are Americans."

I hate to tell this guy, but they are not Americans until they are 'citizens',
and that means documented at the very least.
I want to know they had to pledge allegiance, myself.

Well, Frist is supposed to bring the bill to the floor tonight.
I guess we'll see soon if anything of substance passes.

Edit: nope more politics...closeur is set for nest Tuesday. (supposedly even without resolution)

SouthernN'Proud said:
I can't get anything from the link except a banner ad...

Worked for me...Could have been down for maintanece....

BY DAVE NEWBART AND MONIFA THOMAS Staff Reporters

As many as 100,000 marchers crammed the streets of the Near West Side and the Loop Friday, demanding better treatment for immigrants and opposing a bill that they say would deem many of them criminals.

The marchers waved American flags, chanted at deafening levels and snarled traffic for five hours.

The rally turnout was impressive -- as much as 10 times some predictions -- and politicians lined up in support, even though many of the marchers can't or don't vote.

"Those who are undocumented, we are not going to make criminals out of them," Mayor Daley said. "Everyone in America is an immigrant."

Organizers said the march included about 150 groups. It follows similar rallies in Washington, D.C., and Philadelphia.

What brought everyone together was staunch opposition to a bill approved by the U.S. House of Representatives in December -- the so-called Sensenbrenner bill -- that critics say would turn millions of immigrants into felons for crossing the border without permission and would make it a felony for anyone to assist them. It also calls for criminal penalties for employers of undocumented workers.

"That bill is the catalyst," said Gabe Gonzalez, director of organizing for the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights. "It's wrong. These people work here. They pay taxes. They are Americans."

Organizers say they hired as many as 200 buses to bring immigrants in from the suburbs, other parts of the state and even bordering states. Those included 40 buses from Aurora, 33 from Melrose Park and two each from DeKalb and Rock Falls.

Many marchers said they had taken the day off work to come, while others were given the day off by sympathetic employers.

From Union Park at Randolph and Ashland, marchers walked south on Ashland and then turned east on Jackson toward Federal Plaza. Groups of 50, 60, even 100 or more joined in from side streets.

Some employers even shut down for the day to send workers. Jalapeno Produce in Round Lake closed and sent 100 workers to march, said employee Irma Perez. Workers from Passaglia's West Loop Auto Body -- on Morgan near Jackson -- climbed to a rooftop and hoisted a large sign expressing unity with marchers.

"I think it's great for so many people standing up for a cause they believe in," said owner Drew Passaglia. "The Mexican immigrants are hard-working and provide a good day's work for a good day's pay."

It's about 'basic rights'

One hundred students from Community Links High School in Little Village marched, some dressed in ROTC uniforms and carrying American and Mexican flags. Social studies teacher Tim Ruby said the entire school could be affected if provisions from the Sensenbrenner bill eventually become law. Many students are undocumented, but many teachers and legal students have done much to help them -- something that critics say would also be criminalized under those provisions.

Though clearly in the vast majority, Latinos weren't the only ones who came out. Larry Wong, executive director of the Chinese Community Center, said everyone in the country should be concerned about the bill.

"This is our obligation as citizens of America [to be here]," Wong said. "This law cannot be passed."

An hour and half after the march started, a police officer said marchers were still leaving Union Park, while others had already arrived at Federal Plaza at Dearborn and Adams. That meant the entire 2.5-mile path was lined with protesters.

"It's unbelievable," the officer said.

The rally was the biggest in recent memory, surpassing anti-Iraq-war rallies in 2003, which at one point shut down Lake Shore Drive, and a 2002 protest at a trade meeting of U.S. and European chief executive officers and government officials.

For such a huge crowd, it was remarkably peaceful: Police said there were no arrests. The only two marchers treated for injuries apparently fainted, authorities said.

Traffic, however, was brought to a standstill along the entire route. At Halsted and Jackson, a CTA bus sat parked, along with a FedEx truck and one for Estes Express Lines, for more than two hours. The CTA said it had to reroute 14 buses, and Metra trains were delayed by the throngs on board.

"It's not just about undocumented workers, it's about human beings and basic rights," said Estes driver Pedro Hernandez, who supported the marchers even though he was stuck just a few blocks from his last delivery.

Lawmakers take notice

At Federal Plaza, U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), considered a national leader on immigration issues, told the masses "we have brought together the true fabric of what Chicago is, of what our country is." He said he's "never been prouder to march, to show my commitment to a cause than I have been today."

U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee that started its debate on immigration issues last week, said the committee could be voting on a bill to send to the full chamber as early as next week. Any bill could contain elements of the House bill but would be its own legislation.

And Gov. Blagojevich spoke briefly, including a few remarks in Spanish.

Although the battle on Capitol Hill will be contentious, only a few people came out Friday to oppose the marchers.

The Illinois Minuteman Project, which is affiliated with a national volunteer civilian border patrol group that aims to stem illegal immigration, held a Grant Park news conference before the rally.

Rosanna Pulido, the group's state director, said she doesn't want to see Chicago become "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants.

"There are 14 million underemployed Americans. Don't they have the right to have a better life and support their families? Let's give them an opportunity because this is their country," she said.

catocom said:
Well, Frist is supposed to bring the bill to the floor tonight.
I guess we'll see soon if anything of substance passes.

Edit: nope more politics...closeur is set for nest Tuesday. (supposedly even without resolution)
I haven't seen any movement on it.
I won't be surprised if they've put it off yet again.
All I'm seeing on cspan today is stuff about schools, and healthcare. :confused:

They may be doing it closed session, but that,d be a pisser too.

I heard a bill is moving some more.....
Protest are ramping up as expected.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/8225863/detail.html

I heard on local news...One school here is like 97% Hispanic, and 43% where
absent today.

coming soon to a town near you...massive riots.
I truly believe it's been swept under the rug too long now, and it's going to get ugly.

Prop 187 would have rocked!

Yeah the fact is I suppose if the rest of the nation
'ends' up like CA then us folks will be in the minority, huh Inky

Mayor Daley said. "Everyone in America is an immigrant."

I guess we should all go home???

Back