What's wrong with politics...

I like watching the government in Taiwan. Never know when the fisticuffs will break out...I wonder if that's where we're headed...*handonhip

Not entirely. We voters play a major hand on whom we elect as well...:mope:

I don't think it's that simple. Maybe on a local evel but in national politics I really don't see all that much difference between one candidate and another. I think a "None of the Above" choice needs to be available. I personally have rarely had an opportunity to vote for anyone I really expected to do a competent job on a national level. If there is no one there to vote for (who could actually win) is that the voter's fault? It's my civic responsibility to vote for someone.

I don't think it's that simple. Maybe on a local evel but in national politics I really don't see all that much difference between one candidate and another. I think a "None of the Above" choice needs to be available. I personally have rarely had an opportunity to vote for anyone I really expected to do a competent job on a national level. If there is no one there to vote for (who could actually win) is that the voter's fault? It's my civic responsibility to vote for someone.

That's what I'm getting at. It's not about who could win. It's about who you want in that office. By compromising on your 'principals' in order to vote for a less desirable choice, you have already lost. :shrug:

Chic, if that's the case, you need to put forth someone who is capable. That's the whole point of voting.

Peel the onion another layer or three, and you get closer to the heart of the problem.

Any time somebody halfway decent DOES try to run for office, the career politicians make sure one of their own gets the money, exposure, whatever it takes to win. Hence, I place the burden on the political arena itself.

Well, that and the fact that 85% or more of the voters let Katie Couric, Rush Limbaugh, et al tell them how to vote instead of actually llearning for themselves which candidate they prefer.

the jobs don't pay enough to attract the best candidates. you end up with assholes whos souls are for sale for 'suplemental income'.

the jobs don't pay enough to attract the best candidates. you end up with assholes whos souls are for sale for 'suplemental income'.

I think the jobs pay too much. :shrug: If you want the publics trust, then a big paycheck is the last thing you need to look for...

I've always liked the idea of (now where did I read that?) mandatory 5 year terms, where all of the person's wealth is confiscated and put into the treasury. Tax rates are fixed and cannot be changed. Failure to do a good job results in imprisonment until all your mistakes are fixed by the next guy, and you don't get your money back.

Oh, and forget voting. Positions are treated like jury duty. Except instead of a letter, you get two guards who pick you up at home and take you in.

The people who vote at the end of your term instead of the beginning. Oh, and noone serves a second term .... ever.

That's what I'm getting at. It's not about who could win. It's about who you want in that office. By compromising on your 'principals' in order to vote for a less desirable choice, you have already lost. :shrug:

If I only voted for who I wanted in office I probably wouldn't have voted at all since the mid-eighties. That's one reason there's voter apathy. Put a "None of the Above" choice in there and see how much the turnout picks up. I think that if you don't vote you don't have a right to complain so I generally vote for the least offensive candidate. Sometimes it's hard to decide. :shrug:

obviously once less that necessary. If you give up on the process, you can't complain about it.

Tried it. More than once. See SnP's post.
More than twice. Being stubborn, I actually worked for more than a dozen different candidates. Some of them even got elected. It has made no difference. I give up. Our political system is broken. It needs to be torn down and reworked. Well under half of registered voters actually vote. People say it's because they don't care. If they didn't care they wouldn't have registered. They have simply realized, as have I, that it makes no difference who they elect. They simply lack my stubborn pig-headedness. Anyone who actually gets on the ballot for either major party is part of the same political machine. They market themselves differently, but the same shit will happen regardess of who wins.

No one else seems particularly interested in fixing it, in fact a lot of idiots seem to think it's what the founding fathers intended. I hold a differeing opinion but I'm not going to wear myself out trying to make it better anymore. Nobody cares what's good for the country, all they care about is what furthers their particular agenda.

Back