When buying a car, ever noticed...

Jeslek

Banned
How Dodge, Chrysler (neon model), and GM usually have 0.0% financing, $0 down, $0 for first three months? But Toyota is 2.9% financing, and BMW is 4.9% or something? And, the Corvette doesn't have 0.0% financing either lol ;)

Anyways, so I was wondering what car do you have, and what do/did you pay?

I have a Toyota Echo 2001 (hey, its cheap, and gets 19 km/L). Current financing is 2.9%.

My parents have an Oldsmobile Silhouette van, and the financing is 0.9%.

I've got a 99 Suburban, paid cash, and a 95 Plymouth Voyager, also cash.

Wise and smart. Unfortunately I didn't that kind of money lying around, and neither do my parents (after we stopped traveling hehe). But I would buy everything cash if I could. ;)

Bought a 96 Dodge in early 97 with 1000 miles on it for about $5k less then sticker. It's paid for.

My wife's is a 99 Ford, bought new with a 4 year loan at 2.9%. We'll pay it off next year. Then it's no more car payments until one of 'em dies.

I didn't get such a great deal on my newest purchase. (Won't embarass myself by divulging the rate - it's not horrible, but it's not the best either). It seems it's harder to get a good rate with the more popular kinds of cars, easier with the companies that are struggling a bit more.

LastLegionary said:
Wise and smart. Unfortunately I didn't that kind of money lying around, and neither do my parents (after we stopped traveling hehe). But I would buy everything cash if I could. ;)

I WAS very fortunate in the stock market a few years ago, since then have invested in more stable ventures. I was told at an early age that if you can't pay for it now, don't get it now. So far the only thing I've got a loan on is my home, but will have that paid off in a couple years as well.

PuterTutor said:
I was told at an early age that if you can't pay for it now, don't get it now.

Yeah, my parents told me that when I was 10 years old or even earlier. I always lived up to that, so I don't have any debts.
Can't say everyone I know has taken that wise advice. They are now stuck with a lot of expensive stuff, which they'll still be paying for the next 5+ years.

Imagine buying a computer that you can't afford. You'll need 3 years to pay it off, but within 1.5 years the PC has a value compared to raw steel...smart? Don't think so :)

Very good point, PuterTutor :)

It's good to see so many people with good money habits. We've only got the one new (new-used actually) car that we're in hock for. Everything else is paid for in full. Bought a used car at that - much better value for the money.

For a while, we had no debt at all. I just loved being able to tell those home equity telemarketers that I was not the least bit in need of their services. "Sorry, I've got no debt for you today." Except for the one guy who actually asked Ards, "well do you want some?" :rolleyes:

Used 1996 Chevy Cavalier LS purchased in 2000, no money down, $219.63/month for four years. I have no idea what my interest rate is.

I want to get a VW Jetta. I'm going to have to start saving, I want to put a few thousand down on it. I might go used because I like the boxier type of yesteryear. Everything's getting so rounded and aerodynamic. Bah.

For someone one the other side of the coin..... I think to myself *Do I want to die with A million in the bank, or A million in Debt?*
Bring on the crediters :headbang:

I avoid VW like I avoid grizzly bears. They break and are the worst German engineering you can buy. Go for a BMW instead :)

Kruz said:
For someone one the other side of the coin..... I think to myself *Do I want to die with A million in the bank, or A million in Debt?*
Bring on the crediters :headbang:

Just remember, if you don't pay for it, someone will, probably your kids.

i got a 13 yo vw polo its now done 101k and the engine is fantastic, not a peep, no oil smoke, still tight as a drum :)

in the uk vw has a fabulous reputation and i've not heard many people with problems. having said that beemers are pretty nice, personally i'd rather have an audi.

OK here is the top fugliest cars in the world, in my humble opinion:

1) The VW bug. UGhghhhghhh
2) PT Cruiser. Yuck
3) VW van
4) VW golf
5) VW jetta

My dad owned a VW loong time ago. Piece of shit. Constantly breaks down, pathetic construction, and all around bad engineering. I'm sorry, but I just don't get along with a VW.

Back