Why carpetbaggers need not apply

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
According to a report in the Chicago Tribune, Republican Senate candidate Alan Keyes is proposing that for a generation or two, African-Americans who are of slave heritage should be exempted from federal taxes. He says federal taxes should be targeted because slavery "was an egregious failure on the part of the federal establishment."

In 2002, on his MSNBC talk show, "Alan Keyes is Making Sense," the candidate sparred with one of his guests, an advocate of reparations, asking, "You want to tell me that what they suffered can actually be repaired with money? You're going to do the same thing those slaveholders did, put a money price on something that can't possibly be quantified in that way."

In a column in 2002, Keyes argued against the "extortion" of using other taxpayers' money to pay descendants of slaves:

Holy Week is a season for reflecting on a great price paid, once and for all, and the life that arose in triumph over sin and evil once that price was paid. And what an unfortunate season, indeed, for some to renew their effort to extort "reparations" for slavery from their fellow citizens.
Yet, lawsuits have been filed. Those responsible propose to settle the accounts of slavery leaving the Civil War out of the equation – complete and utter nonsense. The price for the sin of slavery has already been paid, in blood.

Nothing like an election year I have no chance at winning anyway promise :rolleyes:

However, his opponent is equally daft.
"I generally think that the best strategies for moving forward involve vigorously enforcing our anti-discrimination laws in education and job training and other programs that can lift all people out of poverty," Obama said.

The only thing that can lift anyone out of poverty is themselves. Job training only works if it's merits are applied. Education in the inner city poverty neighborhoods is nothing more than free day care. With not near enough exceptions, those in that boat do not care to educate themselves or their children.

Anti-discrimination laws in education? WTF???

WND

ResearchMonkey

Why don't they just remove the little check-box that says "what race are you" from the applications.

Maybe remove color from the transcripits too. It’s hard to discriminate by pigment when you only have the pertanant information, like grades.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
ResearchMonkey said:
Why don't they just remove the little check-box that says "what race are you" from the applications.

Maybe remove color from the transcripits too. It’s hard to discriminate by pigment when you only have the pertanant information, like grades.

If those were the only criteria for hiring, you'd have an extremely valid point. However, there's always the interview, and that's where the system was broken for so many years. That's why they came up with quotas in the first place. It wasn't about hiring the most able...it was about hiring the most-like-yourself. My take on affirmative action is this...If I score lower than a white person, he/she deserves to be hired over me. If we score the same, fuck them...they had at least a 200 year head start. Let's face facts, people. A black person with a C+ average can't get a job as a manager in a Burger King, but a white person with a C+ average is now running the country. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato said:
but a white person with a C+ average is now running the country.

A C+ at Harvard &/or Yale is outstanding elsewhere ;)

Gato said:
If we score the same, fuck them...they had at least a 200 year head start.

Hmmmm. We, you & I, are about the same age. I'd have to guess we also have relatively similar educational backgrounds. We are in approximately the same income bracket. I'm not sure where I have a 20 minute head start on you, much less 200 years.

chcr

Too cute for words
A C+ at Harvard &/or Yale is outstanding elsewhere

A C+ is a C+ anywhere. I went to Cornell (arguably an equal to Harvard or Yale) and made the Dean's list every semester until I dropped out. It's not that hard.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Alright, I'll add Cornell to that list. The rest of th eIvy league & the other obvious super-schools also.

You know damned well tha a C+ in a Harvard Business school would net you an assistant position at KU or UofA or hundreds of other public univerisites.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Alright, I'll add Cornell to that list. The rest of th eIvy league & the other obvious super-schools also.

You know damned well tha a C+ in a Harvard Business school would net you an assistant position at KU or UofA or hundreds of other public univerisites.
Long as a B student didn't interview for the same position. :D Neither one qualifies you to be president, although being able to lie and avoid the issues does, evidently.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:

Experts have already stated that Harvard C+ student and a state school C+ student are exactly the same when it comes to work ethics. I'll post the study as soon as I find it. The only difference between the two is who they know after they graduate.

My statement about the whole Affirmative Action was a racial comment, not a quality-of-education comment. Seems like, for at least 400 years, minorities got the shaft. ;) The 14th amendment was ratified in the year 1870, but not by all states until 1976 (Kentucky :rolleyes:). That means that from 1870 until 1964 (civil rights act) an entire race of people, although free, were still not equal in terms of job qualifications, education, and even health care. Now add to that the fact that a whole segment of the population was denied the same basic rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for at least an additional 200 years before the 14th amendment, and you get the jist of the 'joke' about the affirmative action. ;)