why do we dress little boys in blue and little girls in lace

Men are physically stronger. Most people want to attribute the majority of gender differences to the biological differences that exists between the two genders, however, though the biological differences play a factor towards gender inequality, it is only the beginning. From child birth little boys are adorned in blue clothing while little girls are dressed in pink. Society deems it acceptable for young girls to play with a diverse array of dolls, but peculiar if young boys play with the same dolls. It is more natural for boys to wrestle, and play with action figures. Clothes and behavior play a vital part in the construction of gender identity. It is not a far- fetched notion for children to use toys to actively convey their gender. At a young age, gender inappropriate behavior can cause one to get shunned by fellow peers. Crossing the gender lines can be a risky venture for someone, even early on in the adolescent life. Girls playing football and boys playing with dolls almost always sparks some sort of controversy and/or curiosity or even bewilderment, conveying the message there must be something wrong with the little girls playing football and little boys playing with dolls. It all boils down to deeply ingrained socio-animal needs for separation and pecking order. Visual cues that convey instant knowledge about others physical being and rank within the pecking order is a pillar of instinct itself. Through long standing standards and practices we see all manner of different color schemes and basic styles of dress as a simple need to satisfy the instinctive pack animal that still floats around under our collective subconsious.

Because boys would look silly in pink. Girls wouldn't look very good with blue lipstick either. :D

As much as I dislike the idea that boys and girls should be separated out at such an early age, I can think of one good reason for the blue/pink clothing.

Ever gone up to a parent, looked down into their stroller and say, "Aww, isn't he cute. What's his name?" and get this somewhat angry reply, "He's a she, and her name is Susie."

in my sociology class and in my psychology classes we learned about societal norms. thats why. they want the kids to be "proper" citizens and know men/women differences(though nowa days i see that less and less). its the idea of mens role and womens role that i learned. in my opinion its BS. i think its jsut that parents want their kids to be "normal" and have people be able to tell if its a boy or girl. i think that people should know their own roles but be allowed to wear what they want when they want to there shouldnt really be a limit. but men shouldnt wear womens clothes. that jsut dont look right :D

It's to assert that there's a difference between boys and girls, men and women, and to let people know which flavor this particular little one is.

And it's not bullshit, IMO. The IS a difference. Several rather major ones, in fact, not all of which are physical. The "PC" crowd needs to get the hell over it on that subject.

It's not bullshit. Men and women are different no matter how PC you want to be. No matter how many equal rights we want, men and women are different.

Originally posted by unclehobart
Looks like Hawaii needs another flurry of Spanish missionaries to teach them the bliss of shame again.

*rips off my clothes and builds a stone altar to my pagan gods*

the truth is we are different ... and I, for one, am glad for the differences.

I don't want to have a penis. though it would be advantageous to pee standing up.

I don't want to be able to, theoretically, carry more weight that I can now.

I don't want to not be able to have the ability to bear children.

I don't want to have a less strong threshold for pain than I do now. Pain hurts. I need that stronger threshold.

The truth is that we have to be different, in order to have a balance. I'm not saying women can't and shouldn't do the same things men can. I'm just saying that we're different. As for the colors, well ... pink is pink .. it's soft ... it's connotates everything a girl should (in the eyes of society in general) be ... blue is bolder .. strong .. again, it connotates what boys should be (as far as society in general is concerned). Now, again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong .. it's just what has evolved over the years. Personally, I hardly ever dressed my daughter in pink - it just wasn't a color I liked ... and now it's one of her favorite colors.

Originally posted by nalani
I think we should just all be nekkid ...

that'd solve everything

:D

Gimme a Hell Yeah!!!

Homelan, you said a mouthful.

Nal, pissing standing up is highly overrated. Once you've written your name in the snow, it get's old. And pissing standing up while drunk is no fun at all. Unless you wanted to hit the other guys shoes and get the crap beaten outta you.

women and men are different i dont deny that. men are idiots women arent. thats one difference. when i said its BS its because i feel that putting any kind of sexual barrier on people should stop. i feel that they are equal. thats what i meant when i said its bs. men can do things women cant like write our names in the snow. and we have two heads but we think with only one.

Originally posted by Professur
Gimme a Hell Yeah!!!

:D

*begins chanting hoping everyone will join in*
NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KIDNEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KIDNEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KIDNEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KIDNEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KIDNEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID

NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID NEK-KID

btw, for the record, I don't think all men are idiots .. I know a lot of women who are idiots .. the kind of idiot that you wonder to yourself "how did you manage to remain alive?"

stoopid people are stoopid people, regardless of gender ...

Nal, pissing standing up is highly overrated. Once you've written your name in the snow, it get's old. And pissing standing up while drunk is no fun at all. Unless you wanted to hit the other guys shoes and get the crap beaten outta you.

:dizzy: :laugh4: Been there.

And no, intelligence is NOT one of those major differences I was talking about. Idiocy knows no bounds, unfortunately.

Damn, I'm Canadian and I don't believe I've ever pissed in the snow either. I am too civilized and gentlemanly for that. :D Also, the damn cold here would prolly freeze the piss to your dick. Big yellow iceicle. :rofl2:

Back