Wine

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
What is your favorite wine, I was talking to a heathen who likes red zinfandel.

I like merlots

deep reds, I prefer reds from australia, robust.

and rhine whines, whites from germany

not a fan of french wines.

Ice Wine is also nice

heathen? i just don't like dry wines...i much prefer reds over white but i am foremost a beer drinker *shrugs*
my mother and mother in law drink what i call "the pink shit"....what is the point of that stuff? lousy....i mean i'll have a glass but....not my thing. :)

PuterTutor said:
MD 20/20 Best stuff in the world!
kiwi flavor is disgusting......i like boones farm sangria....honestly...like carbonated alcoholic fruit juice.

:crying4:

wine I said WINE

lmao

just teasing, I've been known to by flavoured zins

but the wifes family has turned me into a wine snob

*Checks Label

Hey! My Mad Dog says Wine on it. Orange flavor is my favorite.

Never been a real big wine drinker really

Depends upon the seaon. If its warm, I keep it light... something like a beaujolais. If its cold, or some kind of hearty meal, I like something heavy from the Bordeaux region... but they get rather pricey. I should stick with port and beer.

Ice wines are nice desert treats... but.. again... more expensive than heroin.

I have not so fond memories of an after wine headache...can't/won't drink it anymore :sick:

Ugh. The mere mention of Mad Dog makes me ill. :sick:

I prefer chilled wines, my favorite is a White Merlot. Mmmm. Not as heavy as merlot, not as sweet as chardonney, and not as tangy as white zinfandel.

If I have to have a red wine, I'm one of those 'heathens' who likes red zin, though not a peppery one. :s

My husband loves ports.

I like a good Chateau St. Michelle Reisling if I'm in the mood for white, but mostly it's the White Merlot. Last night we had a bottle of Forest Ridge White Merlot.

:D

paul_valaru said:
What is your favorite wine, I was talking to a heathen who likes red zinfandel.

Actually, heathens like white zinfandel... :p

paul said:
I like merlots

Merlot's function, imho, is as a blending grape with Cabernet Sauvignon (most wines from Bordeaux). :shrug: My usual experience drinking Merlot has been one of sucking on wet velvet, not enough structure or backbone for a good balance. Exceptions would be wines from the French appellation Pomerol, such as Petrus, but at 100s of dollars a bottle it's a habit I can't afford. :crying3:

paul said:
deep reds, I prefer reds from australia, robust.

Still trying to find an Australian wine that didn't slap me in the face with an overabundance of fruit.

paul said:
and rhine whines, whites from germany

Yep, those are good, as are Gewurztraminers from Alsace. Austria produces some awesome whites as well: Gruner Veltliner and Reisling, for instance. But my favorite whites right now are Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand. :licklips:

paul said:
not a fan of french wines.
:eek5: If I were forced to choose one varietal for the rest of my life, it would be Pinot Noir, preferably a Grand Cru from Burgundy although I'll willingly quaff a Premier Cru. If forced, I'll grudgingly admit that Oregon is producing acceptable Pinot Noir. ;)

paul said:
Ice Wine is also nice

Eiswein is DIVINE! Love dessert wines, and if someone else is buying, Sauternes goes very well with foie gras. On the other hand, an evening from heaven would be vintage port with Stilton, oranges and walnuts. I turn to putty after that.... :D

I miss the days of manachevitz

Ice wine is expensive, but not TOO bad if you order direct.

you find austrailian wine fruity?

Actually, heathens like white zinfandel...

There is a joke about zinfandel....

Pinot Noir

people swear by it, I just can't take it, taste...blech

French red. The darker and heavier the better. I love Burgundy, I adore old claret.

The idea of a St Emillion, with a huge steak, finished off with a ruby port and cheese... :licklips:

But then I'll drink aftershave if it's all there is.

I guess it boils down to preference. I tend to go for Old World vs New World wines. Old World refers to wine-producing Europe: France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, etc, and New World would be the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, South America, South Africa.

The important difference here is not simply geography – it’s style. Or what the French call "terroir." A "terroir" is a group of lands from a certain region, belonging to a specific vineyard, and sharing the same type of soil, weather conditions and winemaking savoir-faire, which contribute to give its specific personality to the wine. Old World wines tend to be relatively subtle and elegant in taste and smell. New World wines tend to be bolder, more in your face. Either way, if the winemaker respects the "terroir" of the vineyard, s/he doesn't try to make a "French" wine if s/he is in California.

The biggest difference shows up in Syrah (or Shiraz from Australia). Wines from the Rhone (France) will be deep, peppery and earthy. Australian Shiraz tends to be over-the-top showy with a lot of jammy, ripe fruit (or an 'overabundance' imo ;) )

DAMN, I LOVE WINE! :love:

hey, you forgot Canadian wines

I love the niagara regoin wines, did the whole tour, visited the vineyards, bought some ice wine (really good in a really small amount)

oops! :blush:

Haven't had an opportunity to try any, actually. I have friends in the trade (importers and retailers) so I'll ask them to recommend some, promise! ;)

Ms Ann Thrope said:
oops! :blush:

Haven't had an opportunity to try any, actually. I have friends in the trade (importers and retailers) so I'll ask them to recommend some, promise! ;)

waiting for uki chick to read this, she can tell you where we went.

also the best wine i ever had was her fathers, he imports the grapes from california.

the wine he makes is amazing

the grappa he makes after, is brutal

paul_valaru said:
waiting for uki chick to read this, she can tell you where we went.

also the best wine i ever had was her fathers, he imports the grapes from california.

the wine he makes is amazing

the grappa he makes after, is brutal

Yep, grappa can be lethal.... But what a beautiful way to die... :love3:

found this available locally, have you had it? sounds GORGEOUS! but out of my price range, unfortunately (and it was the cheapest one from Inniskillin :crying4: )

Inniskillin Vidal Blanc "Icewine" Niagara Peninsula
Extremely concentrated aromas featuring candied fruits-lychee, melon and guava, enhanced with notes of raisin and vanilla. This wine bursts on your palate showcasing ripe exotic fruits followed by a coasting of tangerine and stone fruits.

$49.99 per 375ml Bottle, $284.49 per Case of 6

Vintage: 2000
Category: Vidal Blanc
Region: Ontario
Color: Sweet
Appellation: Niagara Peninsula

i had this sangria stuff, and i liked it so much i went back for seconds
i had something that i think was called asti spumante, but i'm not sure if i spelt that right... i dont know what kind of wine that is, cos i dont know anything about wines.
i like champagne.

dont make fun of my wine likings, tho, if any of them are make-fun-of-able! cos i'm underage and only drink what's given to me by my family! so make fun of THEM. lol.

la.

Back