Workplace injustice

Stop Laughing

My mom's been temp working since last year, as many of you know. She had been at HSBC (where she won the Macsimizer) for 9 months now doing credit analysis, and today, in the middle of the day, they let her go. She had been expecting it as all of the other temps had been either hired or let go and she was the last one, but the way they did it was just awful. According to them, one of the applications that was reviewed under her ID there last night had the applicant's name changed to a derogatory word. They told her that while they're investigating she cannot return to work there. She doubts they'll ever even call her back or even do a proper ivestigation, if said incident even occured. She said she didn't do it, and it isn't her nature to use derogatory statements or do pranks or anything like that. They didn't show her their files and she didn't recognize any other info from the application. I don't know what she'll do now, she'll go to her temp agency and file at least some kind of complaint (HSBC has been making a name for themselves for bad releases with the temp agency) and will have to wait for the temp agency to find her another job.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I dunno about there but around here a company can let any temp go at any time. If the incident didn't even happen then it's stupid that they'd make it up they shoulda just told her to leave if they wanted her gone...but if someone DID do that while logged in as your mom the company is actually doing more than they have to in terms of the investigation (as I understand it) because they have no obligation to temp employees...the place I used to work would just tell the agency the person was "no longer required" and then the next day call and ask for someone new but specifiy NOT the person they'd just got rid of :shrug:

It's why many companies use temp employees...because they can spend as long as they want figuring out if they want to hire the person when they're employed as a temp while if the company hires them they only have 3 months to let them go for any reason then after that they must have just cause. Some companies sometimes hire short term from a temp agency because they're going to be extra busy for a few weeks or have a lot of people on vacation but any long-ish term employment is usually companies trying to get a feel for the people (or it's seasonal work which will hardly ever result in a full time position)

unclehobart

Temp agents are easily let go. Its just a matter of 'Thanks, but your services are no longer required'. Then you show them the door. I don't understand why they would have to go through such a sham job to dismiss such employees.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Around here, most factories hire through temp services. They bring you in and work you like a dog for 89 days, then terminate your contract before they have to pay any benefits. It's apparently cheaper to bring in some bloke off the street and "train" him every three months than it is to find a good worker and keep him.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Around here, most factories hire through temp services. They bring you in and work you like a dog for 89 days, then terminate your contract before they have to pay any benefits. It's apparently cheaper to bring in some bloke off the street and "train" him every three months than it is to find a good worker and keep him.

Uh, if they're letting everyone go at 89 days it probably isn't temp service...an employee who is hired through a temp service can work for a company for years and never receive benefits unless the company decides to hire them directly...as long as they're an employee of a temp agency no benefits and they can be released at any time. If the company hires a person directly though they have 3 months of being able to let them go at any time and after that they must have just cause and provide them with whatever benefits are offered through the company.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Temp agents are easily let go. Its just a matter of 'Thanks, but your services are no longer required'. Then you show them the door. I don't understand why they would have to go through such a sham job to dismiss such employees.

True, which is why I think someone fooled with his mom's login...making up the story would require more effort than necessary on the company's behalf.

Stop Laughing

That's what she's assuming, that someone else set her up. She did like the job, but the hours sucked, working til 9 two nights and 7 the other three. Also, while they don't have an obligation to defend her, they should still conduct an investigation as to who did do it, and if it was a coworker, they should be held responsible for such an act, but should we expect them to find out the truth? They won't waste their resources on it unless it happens again, so until then, whoever really did it gets away with it. Just sickening.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Stop Laughing said:
That's what she's assuming, that someone else set her up. She did like the job, but the hours sucked, working til 9 two nights and 7 the other three. Also, while they don't have an obligation to defend her, they should still conduct an investigation as to who did do it, and if it was a coworker, they should be held responsible for such an act, but should we expect them to find out the truth? They won't waste their resources on it unless it happens again, so until then, whoever really did it gets away with it. Just sickening.

They might do an investigation...but with that said...until they do THEY don't know that it wasn't her...I can see why they'd get rid of her. It sucks for her but once again, it's the reason many companies use temps...cause they don't have any responsibility to them and if they THINK they did something they don't have to keep them around...they are not REQUIRED to prove anything. With that said, if the company's smart they'll investigate so that they do get rid of the culprit too.

Stop Laughing

There is also a possibility that the applicant did this as a prank or something. The application was for an online store (like PCMall) and the applicant was from Hawaii. They didn't say if it was originally input correctly or not. She's not upset over being let go, as I said she'd been expecting it and kinda didn't want to stay much longer cause the hours sucked, but the way it happened. The accusation also goes on her record at the agency, and there's not much she can do about that either.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A PC world allows firings for a derogatory word but forces employers to keep drug addicts if they yell intervention in time.

Yep, what a fine time to be alive.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
A PC world allows firings for a derogatory word but forces employers to keep drug addicts if they yell intervention in time.

Yep, what a fine time to be alive.

Wrong, if she was a full time employee they probably wouldn't have been able to fire her before they did an investigation. When someone is a temp they can let them go for any reason. They don't even have to have a reason. They could fire someone who said "It's like crack" jokingly for being a crack addict if they wanted...as long as the person was only a temp employee.