Wow...The site looks great!

Captain Amazing

Time flies...It's a while since I first registered and was having trouble posting....

I have just got to say that since I was last here, this site has now become awesome!!!

:headbang:

And to think, all the time I have been moaning to myself about the HWC 'smilies', I could have been using the real smilies here.

:D

Captain Amazing said:
Blimey...six months since I registered. If the time keeps moving this fast I'm gonna be an old man next week.
Are you one of them elderlies that visit this place? You know, the type thats over 20? :p :p

Welcome Captain... Warm 6 please.

Being an 'old' PhD student at uni, when you're walking about you feel 100 sometimes, especially when you see all the undergrads who have nothing to do but party and drink beer...

:grumpy:

LastLegionary said:
Captain Amazing said:
Blimey...six months since I registered. If the time keeps moving this fast I'm gonna be an old man next week.
Are you one of them elderlies that visit this place? You know, the type thats over 20? :p :p

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

You know, you may just get older, LL. Then again, you may not.

I made you an av as well... but it seems as if you beat me to it.

Attachment(s):

cam.jpg, 8.05kb

11_1037202563.jpg

Captain Amazing said:
Being an 'old' PhD student at uni, when you're walking about you feel 100 sometimes, especially when you see all the undergrads who have nothing to do but party and drink beer...

:grumpy:

HUH? Undergrads are suppose to have time to party and drink? :eek:

I am in first year Eng and I have seen none of this time! Did you steal my time?! :yell:GIVE IT BACK!!!!!!:yell:

Oh, and welcome back!

Nice to be back...

It's good to see that the HWC have also regocnised your moderating talents ris.

Congrats.

:D

On the question of UK students...Having been an undergrad myself not too long ago, I can definately say the whole partying thing is a REQUIREMENT of being a student here. I did my undergrad studies at Bath. The course often took a back seat during the first of half of the first year to banter, night's out and general misbehaviour.

The main problem on my course, which was Checmical Engineering, and is also true here at UMIST, is that the course is so easy in the first two terms (roughly the first semester and a half in US terms) that students would be bored if they didn't go out and have fun. All the coursework and lecturing during that period is basically school work revision, or a chance for students who didn't study some basic elements to catch up.

As a PhD student, none of the above is true. You have to work your arse off. I have my viva for my PhD next week (22nd Nov) so most of my time will be switching to that. Other than that, I have a whole bunch of other projects going on. 'Fun' often just isn't an option.

Nice to be back...

It's good to see that the HWC have also regocnised your moderating talents ris.

Congrats.

On the question of UK students...Having been an undergrad myself not too long ago, I can definately say the whole partying thing is a REQUIREMENT of being a student here. I did my undergrad studies at Bath. The course often took a back seat during the first of half of the first year to banter, night's out and general misbehaviour.

The main problem on my course, which was Checmical Engineering, and is also true here at UMIST, is that the course is so easy in the first two terms (roughly the first semester and a half in US terms) that students would be bored if they didn't go out and have fun. All the coursework and lecturing during that period is basically school work revision, or a chance for students who didn't study some basic elements to catch up.

As a PhD student, none of the above is true. You have to work your arse off. I have my viva for my PhD next week (22nd Nov) so most of my time will be switching to that. Other than that, I have a whole bunch of other projects going on. 'Fun' often just isn't an option.

Ooops...

:eek::eek::eek:

Just in case you weren't sure, I posted this

Hey, nice to see you here Captain. :)

Four people that live in Manchester on these boards now!!! Too many for comfort I think. :eek: :D

Back