Wow...The site looks great!

incidentally, it was brought under control 5 hours after starting and may now be demolished after expert assessors had a quick shufty.

fire supression is only supposed to delay the spread of fire so that occupants can evacuate in sufficient time. buildings are always expendable.

This has become more of a chat than a suggestion or a "fury, this broke" thread. moving to the LL

buuut... Considering that the contents of the building were explosives and fast burning agents, I would have thought there would have been some kind of halon or similar supression system if not a zilliion water sprinklers.

I'm thinking it would be rather difficult to create a truly effective fire control system in a building full of explosives. Short of eliminating all oxygen in a fraction of a second, shit can hit the fan pretty quick in a situation like that.

for all we know it could have had advanced systems but the principle stands - fire supression systems are there to delay spread only, not extinuish fire itself [as my fire design tutor put it - kill as few people as you can D]. as a result the fire prevention systems could have acted perfectly well, done their job and still the fire would have spread as far.

Back