24" cables - yay or nay?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up a couple 24" ATA100 cables today. I've heard some stories about this length being prone to data failure, are they true?

chcr

Too cute for words
I've got a tall server tower, and I use one. It is a good quality one, however. I didn't hear about the data loss thing until after I'd had it for a while. No probs though.

Aunty Em

I've been running the TBird for a year or so with 60cm/24" cables with no problems. (I couldn't get anything shorter over here at the time.)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know, but do they tangle less when rounded? There's a clear plastic tube over the cables with one bend in the middle of the long part, is that gonna cause me trouble?

Ack, thats hit or miss man, rounded cables go flaky much faster and damage easier, plus the bunching together doen't help signal integrity.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well assuming these contain all the problems listed, what should I do for cables that won't break apart when I pull them out of drives and controllers? Get a serial ATA controller and serial->parallel adapters?

Mirlyn

Justintime said:
If you can, i love this SATA, its not faster (with normal ide drives) but it sure takes up alot less space :headbang:

I was thinking about doing that....what do the adapters run? I was looking at getting the Abit nForce board for that reason (came with SATA->ATA adapters) but settled for the Asus (no adapters). Not for speed....I'll buy an SATA drive when the newer revisions come out (faster).

Any thoughts/ideas on the adapter? I can't seem to find anything on Newegg's site, and Pricewatch seems to be overly generic in its results. :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Google is your friend, part 3

Some of these are quite expensive, but with SATA being so relatively new, there aren't many, if any, reviews out for a serial->parallel adapter so it's hard to tell you which one to get. Maybe they're like network cards and an adapter is just like every other adapter.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm having a pretty good experience with SIIG so far, their RAID card works pretty well on my main computer. They have pretty good support too.

Mirlyn

I've had good luck with SIIG as well....but I think I'll wait until the price drops. $30 isn't worth it to me (yet). My temps aren't a problem, so the advantage seems to be novelty only. ;)