A Fate Worse than Death

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have taken to making banana bread every so often. My roommate has taken to LOVING me when I do (she loves me anyway...but she loves me in capital letters when I make banana bread)...I have three frozen, ripe, bananas in my freezer right now just waiting to be made into banana bread, I think I'll do that when I get home from my mom's place next week (reading week so I'm going to Brampton til Thurs)...I use my momma's recipe and everyone seems to like it. I took some muffins to school one day and all my friends salivated on their binders while eatting them :D

Uki Chick

I don't mind banana bread from time to time, but it's not my favorite. I did make a mean lemon meringue pie for Valentine's Day dessert and it was sooooo good!!

Uki Chick

SouthernN'Proud said:

From scratch! I took my mom's recipe. I made it cause it's the bf'd favorite and it couldn't have turned out better.

I can send you a piece, but I can't guarantee it's state when it gets there.

greenfreak

Haven't made banana bread since Christmas but Rusty and I are perfecting our tiramisu-making abilities. First time was good but not enough rum, not enough cheese, Rusty thought the ladyfingers should be soaked more. Second time was good on the rum but the bottom ladyfingers were too soggy and there was too much cheese.

I've also made chocolate chip walnut cookies but they always wind up too flat. I can't figure out how to get them "plumper". Anyone know? If I cook them less time, they wind up uncooked in the middle. More time, too thin. Tried different levels of the oven too. I wonder if they have little rings that you can cook them in to make them higher/thicker or if it's just something I'm doing wrong.

chcr

Too cute for words
greenfreak said:
I've also made chocolate chip walnut cookies but they always wind up too flat. I can't figure out how to get them "plumper". Anyone know?

1. Thouroughly mix your dry ingredients (the white and brown sugars in one bowl, the rest in a separate bowl).
2. Whip your eggs up a little with a fork before adding them to the butter and sugar mixture.
3. Don't leave out the salt.
4. This just takes experience, but I never use all the flour mixture. I'm looking for a certain consistency and I add a little at a time until I get what I want, then I stop. I don't know how to explain it to you, but I know it when I see it and my cookies always get rave reviews.

Note that I can't say enough about the Kitchen-Aid mixer.

They're made out of sugar and butter and flour;
You put'em in the oven about a quarter hour,
But the thing that gives 'em their magic power
Is the chocolate chips inside.

Chocolate chip cookies, I gotta have more,
You can bake'em in the oven, or buy'em at the store
But whatever you do have'em ready at the door
And I'll love you till I die!

I can do without booze; I can do without pot;
I can do without nicotine, no thanks a lot!
But bring'em from the oven, nice and hot
And I'm a chocolate chip cookie fiend.

CHORUS

You can't eat one; you can't eat two;
Once you start chewing, there's nothing to do
But clean your plate, and eat the crumbs too,
Then go and find some more.

CHORUS

If you want to make a friend,
You don't need beauty or money to spend;
Give'em all your love, but be sure you send
Some chocolate chip cookies, too.

CHORUS

I knew a little woman, once upon a time:
Ugly as sin and she didn't have a dime;
I was just gonna leave her but she changed my mind;
She made those cookies for me.
CHORUS

I know another woman, pretty as a star,
Had a lot of money and a big sports car,
But I had to leave her, that's the way things are;
She couldn't make cookies for me.

CHORUS

Now when it comes to women, you must be wise;
Sometimes you have to compomise;
I finally met a girl who was just my size,
So I made cookies for her.

CHORUS

Now when I die, I don't want wings,
A golden halo or a harp that sings
Give me a book, a fire and someone who brings
Chocolate chip cookies all day.
CHORUS

Bill Steele, Copyright 1977 Loose Lid Music

greenfreak

Oooh so you think they're too flat because the ingredients are too heavy? I use a hand mixer for everything and make sure the eggs are nice and fluffy before I mix in anything else. But I do use the whole flour mixture, maybe I should back off a bit.

Any chance you wanna share your recipe with me? :angel:

chcr

Too cute for words
I'm pretty sure that thouroughly mixing the flour, salt and baking soda is at least as important as the consistency. The actual recipe is on the back of the bag of Nestle's Toll House Morstles. It's the preparation and the fanatacism that makes them different. :D

Oh yeah, I buy walnut halves and chop them myself. I also cook them on double walled cookie sheets with parchment paper under them.

Also, once they've cooled I'll still eat 'em but I don't care as much. Not quite hot enough to burn your mouth with a big, cold glass of milk is best. :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
the walnuts are adding extra oil into the mix. Try cutting back a couple to a few tablespoons of your shortening (butter) and see if that helps.

chcr, I have an old Toll House tin, and that`s where my recipe comes from. Everybody LOVES them. Betcha it`s the same one :D

chcr

Too cute for words
HomeLAN said:
It is ESSENTIAL that you melt the butter before putting it in.
I disagree. It needs to be quite soft, but still in solid form (IMO, of course). Maybe I mix mine longer than you do? :shrug: Chewier if you melt the butter first though. I like mine a bit more "cookie-ish" and not quite so chewy. Of course, it's hard to make a bad one. :D I'm still working on the Splenda™ version. Haven't gotten a decent batch yet. I think it's the fake brown sugar.

HomeLAN

Melting lends a nice consistancy to them you simply don't get any other way. I will agree, though, that it's difficult to make a bad one.

abooja

I used to adjust the Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe by adding an extra 1/2 cup of flour, because my cookies were also too flat (like disks studded with chips). I later learned that it was the use of only butter that made them flatten out. I found that I got the texture I wanted by using 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Shortening (Crisco, etc.) holds its shape better than butter when cooking, which is why it's usually wise to refrigerate your cookie dough thoroughly before baking. You might want to try that as well.

Or, you can try fooling around with these recipes from Alton Brown. I never heard of intentionally melting the butter for a chocolate chip cookie before reading this. I haven't tried the recipe yet (the chewy one), but I will the next time I bake chocolate chip cookies. :)

greenfreak

abooja said:
my cookies were also too flat (like disks studded with chips).
:rofl: Yup, sounds like mine!!

Great stuff here people. I'm definitely going to try these suggestions.

My mom used to make Tollhouse too, but she couldn't be bothered with spooning them for cookies; she just made "bars". Man oh man were they filling! One piece was all I could eat (with milk of course).

I totally agree about eating them very warm, almost too hot to eat. I wanna see those chips gooey when I bite into them! It's another reason Mom could never take her time with anything; we even liked eating chocolate pudding warm. :yum:

Damn. Now I'm hungry.

Winky

TOP 10 REASONS MEN PREFER GUNS OVER WOMEN

> TOP 10 REASONS MEN PREFER GUNS OVER WOMEN
>
> # 10. You can trade an old 44 for a new 22.
>
> # 9. You can keep one gun at home and have another
> for when you're on the
> road.
>
> # 8. If you admire a friend's gun and tell him so,
> he will probably let you
> try it out a few times.
>
> # 7. Your primary gun doesn't mind if you keep
> another gun for a backup.
>
> # 6. Your gun will stay with you even if you run out
> of ammo.
>
> # 5. A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.
>
> # 4. Guns function normally every day of the month.
>
> # 3. A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me
> look fat?"
>
> #2. A gun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you
> use it.
>
> And the "number one" reason a gun is favored over a
> woman....
>
> # 1. YOU CAN BUY A SILENCER FOR A GUN!!