a lesson from santa...

tank girl

rather than the lump of coal that he intended...;)

attachment.php

....Duxbury's work, pictured at left, captures post-9.11, wartime America, a time when turbans and terrorism became interwoven with anti-Arab, anti-Middle East and anti-foreigner emotions.

"I just wanted people to stop and see things differently," she said. "I hope it makes them … remember the human side to this."

Duxbury completed the artwork earlier this year, long before the holiday season, as an assignment for a Visual Impact class.

"I was looking at images of people in newspapers and books and started thinking how unfair it was, people just judging others on the way they look," she said. "I started to notice myself making some judgments on the people around me. I figured if I'm doing it, then a lot of other people are doing it, too."

INS roundups, racial profiling, patriotism slipping into jingoism: Duxbury weighed it all as she created an image that played Santa's hat off the turban of a bearded, faceless man.

"We have all been fed so much fear," Duxbury said.

After creating the side-by-side Santa/turban images, Duxbury added the words: "Funny how the tiniest thing can make people feel different about you."

Duxbury emphasized that her message is less about politics and more about humanity. "It's common sense," she said. "I'm not very educated when it comes to political matters. This is about simple humanity."

Duxbury hopes people pause when they see her artwork, take a moment to think more deeply, moving beyond shallow, conditioned responses.

"It's about awareness and empathy," she said. "To stop and think, 'Gosh, maybe I looked at someone today and judged them when I shouldn't have.'"

Originally, Duxbury wanted to create clear artwork that could be attached to mirrors in public restrooms, so as people washed their hands, they would look up to see themselves bearded and in turbans. But that was too logistically difficult, so she chose a poster approach instead.

"I think that's the point of this, to put yourself in someone else's shoes, to know how much a stereotype can hurt a person," she said.

And while Arabs (and turban-wearing Sikhs) have been the latest targets of intolerant stereotypes, Duxbury knows that targets change with wheel-of-fortune randomness.

"We all must be observant of this now, because someday, one of these days, others of us will be at the other end of it," she said. "It's just a matter of time."

Mare

That's not right, I wouldn't want to be looking at myself in a turbin and beard of santa in a public bathroom somewhere....Still angry from 9-11...
Personally, the poster idea sucks too, sorry, stereotype or not.

abooja

Interesting poster, idiotic idea.

Perhaps they should start installing clear artwork in Middle Eastern cans that will allow Muslims (who just shit or pissed) the opportunity to view themselves as orthodox Jews, complete with payos, a fur cap, a black suit and a copy of the Torah. When potential homicide bombers see this, they might be moved to take a moment to think more deeply, moving beyond the shallow, conditioned response to blow up a school bus of Israeli children.

Nah, guess that won't work either.

I'm really tired of liberal apologists trying to tell me how to feel, think and react. I don't need sensitivity training. The terrorists do.

Winky

Ah but we do indeed have a well funded sensitivity training program for such people,
only costs .45 trillion a year.

dod.gif

PostCode

Major contributor!
Winky said:
Ah but we do indeed have a well funded sensitivity training program for such people,
only costs .45 trillion a year.

I know a bullet that size that costs less. :D

tank girl

Would it be so much that the blatant ignorance and attitudes that you are displaying here are nothing BUT unpatriotic, and self destructive as far as humanity and any hope for a relatively stable future is concerned? You're not helping yourselves by any means. If you really cared about "freedom" you would be trying to think about why the current situation i making that prospect impossible...

I guess so. You're all pretty much brainwashed by propaganda anyway, thats basically what the majority of the rest of the world thinks... Unfortunately, being the most powerful nation in the world - the rest of us have no escape.

There was no excuse for september 11. But there is also no excuse for ignorance and hatred.

Winky

So did the Chinese and Soviets too

Yeah baby it's a well won position
but we earned it!

America, Number Won with a bullet!

tank girl

take your head out of your arse and think for a moment....its the actual attitude that I was
referring to. Notice the simularity?

Hitler didn't think he needed an excuse either - he genuinely believed he was right.

and so do you. Funny that...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
We aren't overtaking countries to add to our collection. We're removing obstacles of peace & supporters of terrorism.

Winky

We ARE Right!
It isn't ONLY might that makes right.

C'mon let's keep this going but comparing America
to Nazi Germany is downright silly and serves no purpose.
So just how would you like to see America modify it's foreign policy?