A message from the Children of the 70s and late 60s

MrBishop

Imagine... we made it this far without so much...

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets,.. and when we rode our bikes , we had no helmets.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or airbags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose not from a bottle.

Horrors!!

We ate cupcakes, bread, and butter, drank pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill only to find out we frogot the brakes.

After runnning into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day. as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO MOBILE PHONES !!!!!! Unthinkable !

We did not have playstations, Nintendo 64, X-boxes, no videpo games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surroundsound, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends ! We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame except us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black an blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Some kids weren't as smart as others, so they failed a year and were held back to repeat the same year .

Horrors !

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine That !

This generation had produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

Congratulations !!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
This generation had produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors ever.

This generation ended all the above :hmm:

Professur

Our baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.
Nope. Bare wood.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets,.. and when we rode our bikes , we had no helmets.
Pleese. We had to open the childproof caps for our parents

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or airbags.
Nope. Dad had them installed as extras.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
I took the neighbours kids for a ride like that.

We drank water from the garden hose not from a bottle.
Or even collected rainwater, because of the shine it gave our hair.

Horrors!!

We ate cupcakes, bread, and butter, drank pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.
No cable tv.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.
although you could get injured for back washing.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill only to find out we frogot the brakes.
or to bolt on the wheels.

After runnning into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
Bushes, cars, walls, traffic ...

We would leave home in the morning and play all day. as long as we were back when the street lights came on.
We had to be in the green space in front of our block.

No one was able to reach us all day.
Bullshit. Mum could be heard for miles. And even then, all our mothers knew each other, and the Mum phone network was highly effective.

NO MOBILE PHONES !!!!!! Unthinkable !
Nope. homemade walkie talkies. And the plans came from a book in the library, not from the web

We did not have playstations, Nintendo 64, X-boxes, no videpo games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surroundsound, or Internet chat rooms.
Well, we did have a gaming station. It had 4 games in it, all a variation of pong.

We had friends ! We went outside and found them.
They were the ones with the pool.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes the ball would really hurt.
dodgeball with a tennis ball, or a superball. what fun.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame except us.
And, boy, did we ever fetch it if we ripped our clothes. blood, grass stains ... those would come out, but don't you dare rip them.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black an blue and learned to get over it.
Or flying over the other's back.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
And don't forget playing with cap guns.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.
Or shouted up from the street.

Some kids weren't as smart as others, so they failed a year and were held back to repeat the same year .
several times.

Horrors !

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.
I recall the bell curve when we were in highschool. The principal went to all the seniors and informed us that we weren't to be subjected to it's nonsense. the cheer was deafening.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

My uncle actually took one of my cousins to the cop shop and left him in a cell overnight.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I was bottle fed, spanked, and a latch key kid, yet I have not ONE body buried in my back yard.

guess I beat the odds

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
MrBishop said:
Watch out Nixy, Unc, Tonks and SL!!! :lol2:

hehe they are safe, Unc and Tonks nodded politely when I made them listen to mari-mac (great big sea version)

so the mighty canadiana god in me is appeased

brownjenkins

i remember our first color tv sometime in the early to mid seventies

dad brought it home, and we turned it on and watched the donnie and marie osmond show... those were the days, i think :eek3:

chcr

Too cute for words
brownjenkins said:

dad brought it home, and we turned it on and watched the donnie and marie osmond show... those were the days, i think :eek3:

No, those were definitely not the days. :D

BeardofPants

brownjenkins said:

Well, I guess that explains the emotional scarring. ;)

Oz

brownjenkins said:

Slightly off topic (as if anyone will notice in this place :D ) ........

Me dad used to tell the story of how his family were so proud when they were the first bunch in his village to own a telly......every kid in the street used to pile into their home to view this marvelous "television" thing :)

The fun only lasted three weeks however.....that's when the police arrived, took the telly away and arrested me grandad :D (it turns out the old bugger had been into the city, smashed a shop window and made off with the telly) :lol2:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ummm...We're tougher because of it, but today's youths are far more deadly. They have no care in the world, and all their wants are provided for by well-meaning parents. Their needs, however, are another story. The world is not 'sanitized for your protection'...and learning that one lesson still makes people cringe. :shrug: