A Sad Day in Iraq...

Raven

Annoying SOB
SouthernN'Proud said:
1. There are days in Iraq that are NOT sad?

2. It's a war. Troops are being ambushed left and right. Innocents die daily from cowardly acts like suicide bombs.

3. Guess instead of shooting them we should kidnap and behead them after making ridiculous ransom demands and further political propoganda.

4. I see no outrage at the dozens of American and other soldiers who are ambushed every day in Iraq and elsewhere. Holding a weapon and being blindsided is about the same as what happened here if you ask me. (And you didn't... :D ) If a soldier is ambushed/blindsided, his weapon is of no import to him. He may as well be unarmed. Soldiers on routine patrol who are killed when a car bomb goes off have as much of a fighting chance as this person had, yet no one seems outraged over their deaths.

Just callin' it like I sees it.
Agreed. I COMPLETELY agree there. Then again this is as much a media war as a military one :(

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
1. There are days in Iraq that are NOT sad?

2. It's a war. Troops are being ambushed left and right. Innocents die daily from cowardly acts like suicide bombs.

The ambushes are part of war...we do those, too. We just try to keep from killing civilians.

SNP said:
3. Guess instead of shooting them we should kidnap and behead them after making ridiculous ransom demands and further political propoganda.

Doing so is a violation of both the Geneva Convention and the Law of Armed Conflict. The UCMJ is very clear on the treatment of enemy prisoners.

SNP said:
4. I see no outrage at the dozens of American and other soldiers who are ambushed every day in Iraq and elsewhere. Holding a weapon and being blindsided is about the same as what happened here if you ask me. (And you didn't... :D ) If a soldier is ambushed/blindsided, his weapon is of no import to him. He may as well be unarmed. Soldiers on routine patrol who are killed when a car bomb goes off have as much of a fighting chance as this person had, yet no one seems outraged over their deaths.

Just callin' it like I sees it.

You see no outrage because nobody wants to admit that they may have been wrong about either their stance on the war, or the butchers bill when it's finally over. Nobody has yet said that Saddam Hussein should still be in power...they just wanted to argue over how to remove him...

ClaireBear

Banned
Raven said:
And if it had been the Royal marines in the same situation can you say without absolute certainty and beyod a shadow of a doubt they wouldn't have done the same? Emotions run high in a combat zone, regardless of nationality.

Anyone considered the fact that this guy was fatally wounded already?

Emotions run high... and soldiers should be trained to deal with such emotions...

Psych testing should be able to weedle out the "red mist" candidates...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
ClaireBear said:
The yanks should leave it to the professionals... the Brits!
Um yeah. Ok. So the Brits now have the best trained army in the world, huh?

I think what is failing to be understood here by some is that this was an INDIVIDUAL act. Yes, he was trained by the Marine Corps. He was also shot in the face the day before and he was likely pretty pissed off. As well trained as an individual is, there is still indivuality.

from the link.
Sites reported a Marine in the same unit had been killed just a day earlier when he tended to the booby-trapped dead body of an insurgent.

NBC reported that the Marine seen shooting the wounded Iraqi had himself been shot in the face the day before, but quickly returned to duty.

ClaireBear

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:

Cowardly?

Would you have the balls to give up your life in such a volatile way for a cause?

Gato_Solo

PT said:
I think what is failing to be understood here by some is that this was an INDIVIDUAL act. Yes, he was trained by the Marine Corps. He was also shot in the face the day before and he was likely pretty pissed off. As well trained as an individual is, there is still indivuality.

from the link.

So now we have a Marine advocating revenge over duty. This guy needs to be dealt with fast...

PT

Actually, I think we have a medic that needs to be dealt with fast. How can you expect someone that is shot in the face to return to duty the next day? Is there not some psych profiling done?

Raven

Annoying SOB
ClaireBear said:
Cowardly?

Would you have the balls to give up your life in such a volatile way for a cause?
Yes, frankly it is cowardly.
Killing yourself as well as they enemy as not to face retribution is fecking cowardly in my books.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:
So now we have a Marine advocating revenge over duty. This guy needs to be dealt with fast...

Not only him... but any one involved in his training... from the psych evaluator to the drill sergeant!!!!!!

ClaireBear

Banned
Raven said:
Yes, frankly it is cowardly.
Killing yourself as well as they enemy as not to face retribution is fecking cowardly in my books.

But to DIE for a cause... out right death... no ifs or maybe's...

Retribution? The man has a DEATH SENTENCE is that not enough?

I don't agree with the tactic... it is underhand but certainly not cowardly!

Gato_Solo

ClaireBear said:
Not only him... but any one involved in his training... from the psych evaluator to the drill sergeant!!!!!!

Sorry, CB, but you can't blame anybody but him. Nobody else has done this crime, so it is actually an isolated incident. If it was wide-spread, then, by all means, start with his NCO and work up from there, because that means he was given permission to do what he did...tacit or otherwise.

PT

Well, I certainly wouldn't call it brave. Or honorable. Or anything decent, but whatever you like I guess.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Yes. Retribution. You know, that bit where you strike back at you agressor?

Yes, training....great, brilliant outside of a combat zone. Thrown a green recruit into a warzone and what happens? Fear. Fear can be a powerful motivator.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I call the suicide bombers cowards for one simple reason.

They do this act because in their heart of hearts they believe it will cause them to be highly rewarded in the afterlife.

Faced with a decision between living in a war-torn country, facing the spectre of death at any street corner, and going on to an afterlife filled with all the rewards my diety can bestow on me, I'll take the fountains and vestal virgins thankyouverymuch.

So yes, cowardly. Just as I said the first time.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gato_Solo said:
Doing so is a violation of both the Geneva Convention and the Law of Armed Conflict. The UCMJ is very clear on the treatment of enemy prisoners

That doesn't seem to be deterring the followers of Allah very much, now does it?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
CB there is nothing honorable in car bombing or any type of suicide. What would you gain? Look at the tard that offed himself In NY because he didnt like who got to be president, very few will remember him in a few more weeks, and yet we still have the same president and the war is still on. These are generally people who have no family and feel like they have nothing to live for.

As for this marine yes he needs to be dealt with, but not everyone that ever had anything to do with his training. Unless hi whole platoon was acting this way the yea pull them all in.