Accomplishments in Iraq

Lest one be swayed by slanted news reports from mainstream media outlets that tell only of "the debaucle Bush created" in Iraq, of photo ops and turkey platters that were for show, here is a brief list of reconstruction and humanatarian relief, the entirety of which can be found at: http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/

- Power production capacity in Iraq on October 6 peaked at 4,518 MW, surpassing the pre-war level of 4,400 MW. This achievement required engineers to make unexpected repairs on a system that is significantly more decrepit than originally expected. Currently roughly 70,000 MW hours are being generated daily.
-Necessary long-term repairs and scheduled maintenance are being made at generating plants throughout the country to build a sustainable power grid.
-Approximately 60 non-military flights per day arrive and depart smoothly at Baghdad International Airport.
-Iraqi customs commenced operations in the Baghdad arrivals hall as of October 21, 2003.
-Al Basrah International Airport is nearly ready for commercial operations to begin. Completed projects include runway, taxiway, and apron striping, installing two baggage x-ray units, rehabilitating toilets, passenger lounges, signs, and baggage carts, and installing VSAT satellite communications.
-Demolition of irreparable sections of three key bridges (Khazir, Tikrit and Al Mat) completed in preparation for reconstruction. These bridges link Baghdad to major cities in the North as well as neighboring countries.
- Over 30 million doses of vaccines have been procured and distributed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) since July, which was supported by USAID and UNICEF.
-An estimated 3 million out of a total of 4.3 million Iraqi children under the age of 5 have been vaccinated.
-20 delivery rooms in hospitals and primary health care centers have been rehabilitated serving 300,000 residents in Basrah.
-Schools throughout Iraq successfully reopened the first week in October. There are approximately 5.1 million enrolled school children in Iraq (3.6 million primary and 1.5 million secondary). After the conflict, attendance of the enrolled students had dropped to 60%. It has now surpassed pre-conflict levels.
-Every Baghdad public school will be eligible to receive a $750 grant to improve its learning environment under a new Coalition Provisional Authority program.
-Local school offices and parent organizations can use their grant to paint buildings, repair sanitation and electrical systems, or purchase school books or furniture. The grants application requires a school administrator, two teachers, and a minimum of four parents (representing the community) to select appropriate projects.
-Immediately after the war, USAID repaired over 1,700 critical breaks in Baghdad's water network, significantly increasing Baghdad's water flow.
-All of Baghdad's sewage treatment plants will be repaired and running at full capacity by October 2004, serving 3.8 million residents.
-In 17 of 18 governorates, more than 15 million people are engaging in local policy discourse, either directly or through their representatives.
-More than 70 professionals from around Iraq attended a four-day workshop November 8-11 in Baghdad on best practices for excavating mass graves and identifying remains. This was an important step in training local experts to accurately assess forensic evidence for use by the judicial system.

Never would've guessed it from the barrage of disparagement pushed by those with an agenda, who only want you to believe how everything is going to hell in Iraq...

Gotnolegs

I think I'm with Sqiggs and AT.

For some reason you seem to have forgotten to put "Somewhere in the region of 20,000 people dead" on your list...

freako104

The Other One said:
Lest one be swayed by slanted news reports from mainstream media outlets that tell only of "the debaucle Bush created" in Iraq, of photo ops and turkey platters that were for show, here is a brief list of reconstruction and humanatarian relief, the entirety of which can be found at: http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/

- Power production capacity in Iraq on October 6 peaked at 4,518 MW, surpassing the pre-war level of 4,400 MW. This achievement required engineers to make unexpected repairs on a system that is significantly more decrepit than originally expected. Currently roughly 70,000 MW hours are being generated daily.
-Necessary long-term repairs and scheduled maintenance are being made at generating plants throughout the country to build a sustainable power grid.
-Approximately 60 non-military flights per day arrive and depart smoothly at Baghdad International Airport.
-Iraqi customs commenced operations in the Baghdad arrivals hall as of October 21, 2003.
-Al Basrah International Airport is nearly ready for commercial operations to begin. Completed projects include runway, taxiway, and apron striping, installing two baggage x-ray units, rehabilitating toilets, passenger lounges, signs, and baggage carts, and installing VSAT satellite communications.
-Demolition of irreparable sections of three key bridges (Khazir, Tikrit and Al Mat) completed in preparation for reconstruction. These bridges link Baghdad to major cities in the North as well as neighboring countries.
- Over 30 million doses of vaccines have been procured and distributed by the Ministry of Health (MOH) since July, which was supported by USAID and UNICEF.
-An estimated 3 million out of a total of 4.3 million Iraqi children under the age of 5 have been vaccinated.
-20 delivery rooms in hospitals and primary health care centers have been rehabilitated serving 300,000 residents in Basrah.
-Schools throughout Iraq successfully reopened the first week in October. There are approximately 5.1 million enrolled school children in Iraq (3.6 million primary and 1.5 million secondary). After the conflict, attendance of the enrolled students had dropped to 60%. It has now surpassed pre-conflict levels.
-Every Baghdad public school will be eligible to receive a $750 grant to improve its learning environment under a new Coalition Provisional Authority program.
-Local school offices and parent organizations can use their grant to paint buildings, repair sanitation and electrical systems, or purchase school books or furniture. The grants application requires a school administrator, two teachers, and a minimum of four parents (representing the community) to select appropriate projects.
-Immediately after the war, USAID repaired over 1,700 critical breaks in Baghdad's water network, significantly increasing Baghdad's water flow.
-All of Baghdad's sewage treatment plants will be repaired and running at full capacity by October 2004, serving 3.8 million residents.
-In 17 of 18 governorates, more than 15 million people are engaging in local policy discourse, either directly or through their representatives.
-More than 70 professionals from around Iraq attended a four-day workshop November 8-11 in Baghdad on best practices for excavating mass graves and identifying remains. This was an important step in training local experts to accurately assess forensic evidence for use by the judicial system.

Never would've guessed it from the barrage of disparagement pushed by those with an agenda, who only want you to believe how everything is going to hell in Iraq...

and you think the anti war are the only ones wiht an agenda?

Ms Ann Thrope

You forgot to list this accomplishment:

April 17, 2003

Advisors Resign Over Looting At Baghdad Museum

Two cultural advisors to the Bush administration have reportedly resigned over the failure of U.S. forces to protect the Baghdad Museum from looters last week.

According to a Thursday Reuters report, the Chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee on Cultural Property, Martin Sullivan, and another panel member, Gary Vikan, resigned this week, explaining that the administration had been warned about the danger to the museum.

Tens of thousands of relics from some of the oldest and most historically significant cultures of the ancient world were stolen and ruined last week by looters in Iraq. Critics have claimed that U.S. forces could have stopped the looting with a handful of soldiers, and that they should have known about the impending danger to the facility.

There have also been some scattered calls for the White House to try to repair the situation by assisting with the search for some of the stolen relics, at least some of which will end up in the hands of wealthy antiquities collectors.

"We certainly know the value of oil but we certainly don't know the value of historical artifacts," Reuters quoted Vikan as saying this week.

HeXp£Øi±

Sorry people but "i've already been swayed" is not an answer. I think it's sad that so many want to see us fail just so they can say "i told you so".

I think if any of you had the slightest idea of just exactly what failure for the US in Iraq really meant you'd be a little more hopeful if only out of fear alone.

Gotnolegs

HeXp£Øi± said:
Sorry people but "i've already been swayed" is not an answer. I think it's sad that so many want to see us fail just so they can say "i told you so".

I think if any of you had the slightest idea of just exactly what failure for the US in Iraq really meant you'd be a little more hopeful if only out of fear alone.

Why is it that you equate disgust at the way we have been lied to about the reasons for this war, and disgust about the deaths of thousands of innocent people as wanting to see the allied forces fail?

I for one am overjoyed that Sadddam has been removed from power. I am more than happy that so much has been accomplished by the coalition in the time it has been in Iraq, but that doesn't mean I think it has been accomplished the right way. It certainly doesn't mean I will view the introduction of customs at Baghdad airport as something that makes the deaths of tens of thousands of people worthwhile.

I sincerely hope that the Iraqi people have the freedom and liberty they deserve as soon as possible and that they are able to choose the form of government for their country. However I find the prospect unlikely.

I note with some interest the fact that the arguments given in the UK for the war differ somewhat to those given in the US, I note that guerilla forces in Afghanistan have never in recorded history been defeated by an invading force, I note that there are some disturbing parralels with Vietnam and I think that this will all end in a huge debacle.

This does not mean I want it to, just that I think we should never have invaded in the first place.

chcr

Too cute for words
HeXp£Øi± said:

Be happy to have it explained, Hex. Don't start anything about Revelations though, I think you know my feelings on that score.

HeXp£Øi±

Gotnolegs said:
Why is it that you equate disgust at the way we have been lied to about the reasons for this war, and disgust about the deaths of thousands of innocent people as wanting to see the allied forces fail?.

This thread has nothing to do with the reasons why we started this war. I was against this war to begin with. That's in the past now. It's time to look forward. Though you're correct, i do equate the two because i see it in many anti war people. Not all but in disturbing numbers.

Don't start anything about Revelations though, I think you know my feelings on that score

Oh come on CH, i think that was uncalled for. I may start my own thread once in awhile on radical subjects that you disagree with but i have never been one to burst into other peoples threads and start spewing religious dogma.

chcr

Too cute for words
I didn't exactly mean it that way hex, I didn't put it very clearly. A great many religious people think the final battle has been joined and maybe I'm oversensitive about that because I fear our jackass err, president is one of them.

Gotnolegs

HeXp£Øi± said:
This thread has nothing to do with the reasons why we started this war. I was against this war to begin with. That's in the past now. It's time to look forward. Though you're correct, i do equate the two because i see it in many anti war people. Not all but in disturbing numbers.

You think so? I wish I had your faith in human nature...

I took it as being a "told you so" thread from someone who was in favour of the war. Kind of a way of answering the arguments of the anti-war brigade by saying "look at all the lovely things that have happened because of us" without actualy taking into acount all the death and destruction that also happened because of us.

HeXp£Øi±

Gotnolegs said:
You think so? I wish I had your faith in human nature...

I took it as being a "told you so" thread from someone who was in favour of the war. Kind of a way of answering the arguments of the anti-war brigade by saying "look at all the lovely things that have happened because of us" without actualy taking into acount all the death and destruction that also happened because of us.

Well i can't say whether or not you've judged the original post correctly but i can guarantee you that you've judged me wrong because i am definetely not one who has any faith whatsoever in human nature.

MrBishop

Don't be so touchy Hex..I seriously doubt that they were trying to harrass you personally for your post, but perhaps the GVT itself by posting such information (or making it accessible). Seems to me like a great big PR campain to me. A lot of spin-doctoring.

Seems like the 'reason' for going in aren't panning out. THe WMD's havn't been found, so the GVT is backpedaling and covering it's tracks by saying...."Forget about the WMD's for a second and look at all the wonderful things that we've done since"

If they'd gone into the war with "Saddam is a zealot and a truly evil man, and we think that he should be removed and the rights and health of the people restored to human levels", then the quote that you posted would've been proof that they did the right thing in going to war...but... they said that they were going in to protect the world from WMD's and now they're backpeddling something fierce

IMHO

HeXp£Øi±

Once again i must restate that the point of this thread has nothing to do with justifying this war and has everything to do with just what progress we are making.

From the original post...
Lest one be swayed by slanted news reports from mainstream media outlets that tell only of "the debaucle Bush created" in Iraq, of photo ops and turkey platters that were for show, here is a brief list of reconstruction and humanatarian relief

Never would've guessed it from the barrage of disparagement pushed by those with an agenda, who only want you to believe how everything is going to hell in Iraq.

I see nothing here defending the Bush administrations decision to enter Iraq. Only a statement of our progression.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
HeXp£Øi± said:

Our failure was inevitable because our reasons for going in were nothing but a bunch of half truths and lies concocted to conceal the personal agenda and greed that has made itself quite evident now...I said long before the war that I agreed Saddam was evil and had to go and i asked for justification. After all, he wasn't the ONLY evil tyrant in the world and he wasn't the worst. Instead I watched our Secretary of State go before the UN (the world) and deliver a conspiratorial speech which he knew to be lies in order to sway support for a President with a personal agenda. And he did it with a straight face. I said then that our honor & integrity were on the line if we didn't have true cause. I don't personally believe that our honor and integrity were worth the trade. To say nothing of the Americans and others dead because of those lies...Iraq never was a threat to the US and probably never would have been.
Even the accomplishments are a convolution and twist of the truth...Repaired water lines? WE DESTROYED THEM WITH OUR BOMBS. Power supplies up? Thats probably done just like Westmoreland's Viet Nam body count. I'd bet it includes all the portable generators and batteries that our military is using . And on and on....

I tend to think those who want to paint this whole thing with bright vibrant colors are the ones "forgetting" . You've forgotten the COST of this action. the ONGOING costs...Our HONOR. Our INTEGRITY. Our ECONOMY. And, most of all, the LIVES of our service people.

HeXp£Øi±

What then Squig? Shall we just give up because we fùcked up? What would you have us do? You say we're doomed to failure but what does that mean? If you mean that our actions based on unsound judgement cannot in any way lead to a democratic Iraq then i disagree. The only way the hope we have of turning Iraq into a just nation is guaranteed to failure is if we throw our hands up in the air and walk away. Otherwise there is still hope. I'm not speaking in any way of justifying the action of GWB or th administration. I'm speaking of doing the best we can with the mess that we're in.

chcr

Too cute for words
HeXp£Øi± said:
What then Squig? Shall we just give up because we fùcked up? What would you have us do? You say we're doomed to failure but what does that mean? If you mean that our actions based on unsound judgement cannot in any way lead to a democratic Iraq then i disagree. The only way the hope we have of turning Iraq into a just nation is guaranteed to failure is if we throw our hands up in the air and walk away. Otherwise there is still hope. I'm not speaking in any way of justifying the action of GWB or th administration. I'm speaking of doing the best we can with the mess that we're in.
Hex, this is the point I think most people in the west miss. Because our society works (more or less) most of us seem to think everyone else should want it too. The poeple of Iraq don't want a western democracy, they want a theocracy based on Islam. This is the reason we can't succeed. They likely always will. I just can't understand why so many people have so much trouble accepting this, when it's clearly why Muslim countries think western influence is bad. From their point of view, it is. Forcing our way of life down their throats is not an acceptable answer, if you really belive in what America is supposed to stand for.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I don't want to see us fail. At least not more than we already have ...and I didn't want to see that either. But I'm tired of those who blindly followed now trying to accuse those of us who asked for answers before the war. None of them want to admit to the lies and greed and personal agendas that createed this thing and claimed lives unjustly. I stand by the line that osli so loves to quote me for...Bush is far more like Hitler than Saddam is. Saddam was a thug. In a land where thats what it takes to rise to power. But Bush has virtually derailed seeking justice for 9/11. And I'm pissed about that. I know you have an affinity for Israel and can understand why you see more good in this than I do. I, on the other hand, consider Israel to be as religiously fanatic a government as any of the moslim nations. Ultimately, I think 9/11 became a reason for us to help Israel by invading Iraq and taking out saddam. They were the ones threatened by Saddam, not us. Unfortunately, they weren't in very good favor with the American public and we would have balked at the idea of invading on their behalf. So the cause of 9/11 was put forward as a smoke screen. Its a joke. Now we're so wrapped up in Iraq that 9/11 has all but been forgotten. Bush's Saudi buddies are sitting fat and will never be held accountable. And I refuse to feel sorry or guilty for saying "I told you so." Not when Americans and others have died in vain for a personal agenda.

I can only hope that Bush gets reliieved of his duties on election day and that someone capable of dealing with this mess takes office.