Adore My Future Home

FluerVanderloo

Seriously, I want this house. It was on sale a long long time ago, then it got sold, then it came back, then it was sold again, and now it's back! That means it's available for the third time! It's waiting for me I tell ya, waiting!

MINE! :D

And, here's another, it's in the Garden District in New Orleans. Two streets down from Anne Rice! This is one of those 'It would be nice but I'm not going to get my hopes up' house. I'd kill to live near Anne though. But in all honesty, the first one is something I'm going to strive for financially.

The 'I Wish'

those are all over the place down here...you shouldn't have trouble finding one when you are in the market :) but for heavens sake..paint it a nice color...

I love antebellum homes, and I love the south (especially Louisiana), so why not go there to live? If I can't have Oak Alley or Rosedown, I figured I'd settle for one that's available.

In short, that house is my number one dream. That or one just like it, with lots of land and the same architecture, and in Louisiana. If I get one, I'll be perfectly happy with my life.

Pathetic, but that's me hehe

It's not pathetic, I'm sure everyone here has a dream home. This is more my style, I love Victorians:

stuart.jpg

Fluer, is there a reason that house has come up for sale so many times in such a short time? Especially considering it was built 31 years before the Civil War. I really doubt a million-dollar-plus house would be considered a good investment property, so I'd wonder why the house is going up for sale so frequently. Hopefully it's not haunted or something.

Inkara1 said:
Fluer, is there a reason that house has come up for sale so many times in such a short time? Especially considering it was built 31 years before the Civil War. I really doubt a million-dollar-plus house would be considered a good investment property, so I'd wonder why the house is going up for sale so frequently. Hopefully it's not haunted or something.

I was thinking that too. But ghosts don't bother me so much. And if it were haunted, wouldn't it be cheaper? I was also thinking the website removes houses and puts them back up, maybe so they can update the page or something.

Or maybe every time someone went to buy it, they changed their mind or couldn't afford it? A while back there was a virtual tour of the place, and I looked at that. It's got a brand new updated kitchen, marble countertops, it was very lovely. The other rooms it showed were in a good condition. So I don't think it is in dire need of repair.

FluerVanderloo said:
I was thinking that too. But ghosts don't bother me so much. And if it were haunted, wouldn't it be cheaper? I was also thinking the website removes houses and puts them back up, maybe so they can update the page or something.

Or maybe every time someone went to buy it, they changed their mind or couldn't afford it? A while back there was a virtual tour of the place, and I looked at that. It's got a brand new updated kitchen, marble countertops, it was very lovely. The other rooms it showed were in a good condition. So I don't think it is in dire need of repair.
how's the roof? termites? dry rot? sewage? think louisiana....could be a money pit...but if you have the cheddar it could be a labor of love.

tonks said:
how's the roof? termites? dry rot? sewage? think louisiana....could be a money pit...but if you have the cheddar it could be a labor of love.

Good point. The humidity factor slipped my mind. Maybe I'll email that Betty lady and ask her about its pitfalls. Hopefully after I'm a radiologist for about five or ten years I'll have the down payment saved up and will be able to get the paycheck for its monthly bill.

As of now, we don't really have much, so I'm hoping something good in my life will work on my favor. Like a nice college scholarship or something that will help me save money.

All in all, if I have the money, I most certainly will give that house whatever TLC it needs to be beautiful.

Well, it could be a total shithole and still cost over a million bucks, considering the size of the house and of the lot, and the history the place would have had to have acquired in 174 years. I'm not sure if adding air conditioning would increase or decrease the value, although it certainly makes life more pleasant.

For the record, in most of California an early-1970s single-wide on a lot that size right along the river could fetch close to a million.

This would be mine, if I had the economic means to do it:

suitcase.gif

I would spend my life traveling from city to city, country to country, and rent furnished apartments or live in hotels until I got bored and was ready to move on to the next place. It would only take 5 minutes to pack since ALL my belongings would be in the above suitcase.

No permanent "home" with its attendant utility billls, property tax bills, junk mail, insurance bills, repairs and renovation expenses. No car, -- I'd take public transportation or taxis, so no license plates or city stickers to renew, etc. Instead I'd learn foreign languages, prowl around museums, hike through forests and mountains, explore remote villages.... :love3:

FREEDOM!

Ms Ann Thrope said:
This would be mine, if I had the economic means to do it:

suitcase.gif

I would spend my life traveling from city to city, country to country, and rent furnished apartments or live in hotels until I got bored and was ready to move on to the next place. It would only take 5 minutes to pack since ALL my belongings would be in the above suitcase.

No permanent "home" with its attendant utility billls, property tax bills, junk mail, insurance bills, repairs and renovation expenses. No car, -- I'd take public transportation or taxis, so no license plates or city stickers to renew, etc. Instead I'd learn foreign languages, prowl around museums, hike through forests and mountains, explore remote villages.... :love3:

FREEDOM!

I considered that lifestyle many times, but I decided that I would rather settle down somewhere and be a doctor. However, I still want to travel, just not to many places. My list includes every Civil War battlefield in the nation, Natchez, Mississippi, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, London, Glasgow, and all those other tourist-ridden European cities.

FluerVanderloo said:
...just not to many places. My list includes every Civil War battlefield in the nation, Natchez, Mississippi, Paris, Venice, Florence, Rome, London, Glasgow, and all those other tourist-ridden European cities.

that's actually quite a lot, Fluer!.... would take several lifetimes, I think :D

Back