Status
Not open for further replies.

Professur

100 blade victims a month

By ANDREW NICOLL
Scottish Political Reporter

Published: 27 May 2009
rigTeaserImage
THE growing menace of Scotland’s knife culture is claiming more than 100 victims every month.

The shock new figures released yesterday show 1,278 people were taken to hospital after being attacked with a blade last year.

The worst health board area was Glasgow with a toll of 779 victims — that’s two EVERY DAY.

Last night Tory justice spokesman Bill Aitken called for courts to take a harder line and cage all yobs caught even carrying a knife for two years.

He said: “These figures are a shocking tip of the iceberg. These are only the victims that were treated.

“There are many more incidents that never made it to the hospital door.

“We need to send a message loud and clear — go out with a knife and you’ll be going inside.

“Those who use knives should expect an even longer term in jail than two years. If we don’t take tough action now then the knife crime epidemic will spiral out of all control.”

The figures released by Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon showed there were 109 victims in Lanarkshire, 101 in Ayrshire and Arran, 131 in Lothian and 45 each in Grampian and Tayside.

Rural health board areas were barely touched by knife crime. Borders recorded just five victims last year, Highland just nine and there were none in the Western Isles, Orkney or Shetland.

But while the Tories called for tougher sentences, one of Scotland’s top cops said automatic prison terms were not the solution.

Strathclyde Chief Constable Stephen House told Holyrood’s Justice Committee: “There is a public appetite for a person carrying a knife to be locked away.

“If someone is carrying a knife for violence, automatic jail sentences might be the right thing.

“But if people are carrying a knife through peer pressure then that needs sensible treatment. A second or third offence should get six months.”

source

Two toddlers shoot siblings in US
Map

Two young children have been shot by their siblings in the space of 24 hours in the United States.

In Las Vegas, a two-year-old girl was in a critical condition after being shot by her four-year-old brother at their home, police said.

In South Carolina, a four-year-old boy was shot in the stomach by his three-year-old brother after the little boy found a gun.

The injured boy was expected to make a full recovery, police said.

The incident in Las Vegas happened on Thursday night after the girl's brother found a loaded 9mm handgun inside their home.

It went off while he was holding it, hitting his sister in her torso.

According to police, the father was home at the time and the gun appears to have been improperly secured.

The shooting involving the two brothers happened in Gray Court, South Carolina, also on Thursday night. They and their father were staying at the home of a family friend.

Laurens County Sheriff Ricky Chastain said it appeared the younger boy found the gun under a bed and accidentally shot his brother.

The injured boy was flown to hospital, where he underwent surgery, he said.

No charges have been filed in relation to either case.

Gun debate

The two incidents come less than a week after a five-year-old boy died after shooting himself in the head.

He had found a handgun inside his father's vehicle outside a Las Vegas pharmacy.

The father in that case has been charged with child endangerment.

In the US, the right to bear arms is enshrined in the Second Amendment of the US Constitution. There are thought to be more than 200 million firearms in private hands.

Advocates of gun control face tough opposition from gun owners.

Critics of the current gun laws link high levels of gun crime and gun-related injury with high levels of gun ownership.

Source

Again, guns don't kill people. People kill people. Stupidity kills people. Bad parenting kills people. In the same week that one boy was reported to have killed himself with a weapon found unsecured in the family car, unreported is how many other children were injured or killed for other reasons while playing unsupervised around the family car. How many kids knocked the car out of park and rolled over a sibling or friend? How many kids locked themselves in the car and died of heat?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Improperly secured weapons are those that the children have not been taught to use properly. A gun in a locked cabinet is uesless & an unloaded gun is a hammer.

if people are carrying a knife through peer pressure then that needs sensible treatment

Don't make me break out the sheeple poster again.

See this is one thing I like about my silly little Crossman air pistol. It shoots a .177 caliber BB 480fps. That may not make it much in a gun fight, but if would definitely back someone off who did not have a gun (and tweakers around here almost never do). Plus, I can carry it loaded on my cars front seat, and perfectly legally because while it looks like one it isn't regarded as a firearm.

Plus I can sqeeze off 15 as fast as I can pull the trigger.

My .22 is more powerful, but it is a firearm and is under much tighter control.

Professur

And it stings enough to make someone thing they have been shot .. until they get a chance to look ... giving you more than enough time to scoot. Unfortunately, high pressure air guns are treated by our 'gun control' laws as equal to firearms.

MrBishop

If someone's rushing you with a knife...making their face sting will piss-em off but won't stop them or give you enough time to scoot anywhere. A swift kick in the crotch though... let'em try and catch you after that.

MrBishop

Unfortunately, high pressure air guns are treated by our 'gun control' laws as equal to firearms.

Because they're used as dummy guns in robberies..not because they're considered as dangerous, Prof. The same as a handgun with cement poured in its barrel is considered equal to firearms, or a solid plastic water-pistol without the orange barrel, or a finger in the pocket - IF USED IN THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME. Forgot about that bit, eh?

Professur

Because they're used as dummy guns in robberies..not because they're considered as dangerous, Prof. The same as a handgun with cement poured in its barrel is considered equal to firearms, or a solid plastic water-pistol without the orange barrel, or a finger in the pocket - IF USED IN THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME. Forgot about that bit, eh?

Did you get that from your contact at the RCMP too? Because it's about as accurate as your last tidbit. Try talking to someone familiar with the new firearms regs instead. Air weapons rated at 400fps are classed as firearms for all legal purposes, including import from the US. That's from the guy who clears them through the US/Canuck border. I was looking to get a smaller air rifle for V2.0 and stopped at the border to inquire as to the regs. He told me that ANY air weapon would have to pass a chrono before crossing. And he had it right there for the purpose. While what I was looking at 'spec'ed at well under that, he'd still have to test it. He said he regularly saw paintball guns at over 90m/s. You don't need me to tell you the difference in mass between a paintball and a .177 pellet. My old single pump is 130f/s. Dad's 20 year older CO2 pistol far surpasses that. New high pressure guns ...? If the border guards are checking for them, they're obviously there.

ResearchMonkey

Criminal Rule #27: If you are going to use a gun while committing a crime, paint the tip of the barrel orange. It may give you all the edge you need.

Almost three years clean and sober, regular meeting attendance and applying the 12 steps to my life. Involvement in the program and service work. My past is one of my greatest assets in dealing with a suffering alcoholic or addict, because I know, because I've been there., because I've "done that", and because I got the tee-shirt!

In the dope world it is pretty commonplace to come up against a gun. When the tweakers prowl your car or house, not so much, but at the dope man's house when the shit gets ugly, well then it is commonplace.

Professur

I would remind people that gun control only controls law abiding people. Criminals who want guns will have guns. All gun control does is disarm non-criminals. Buying an illegal gun is even easier than buying a bb gun. Hell, anyone with access to a $400 mini mill can make as many guns as they'd like. The blueprints are all over the web, including metal specs.

I guess that is why it is so humorous to me when some of y'all start commenting on me being all "liberal" as if guns have never been any part of my life and as if I just would not be able to understand. This used to reside in my jeans pocket and under my pillow for many of the dope years....

I sold it when I stopped needing to be able to shoot somebody on short notice....

Currently, just this little beauty....Not easy to stick in the pocket, but plenty accurate and deadly if used properly....

3930756821_4790efc863.jpg

MrBishop

I would remind people that gun control only controls law abiding people. Criminals who want guns will have guns. All gun control does is disarm non-criminals.

I suppose the same can be said for any law.

Drug control only controls law abiding people. Criminals who want crack will have crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.