Airbus to Unveil Largest Passenger Jet

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Professur, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Professur

Professur Well-Known Member

Source

It is to be noted that, despite all the hoopla, they've suceeded in superseeding a design from the '60s. And the only reason noone did it before is because there wasn't (and according to the article, still isn't) a market for them. Not to mention that many airports still won't be capable to handle them for decades to come.

2. unclehobart

unclehobart New Member

Most airports only hook up one umbilicus for loading and offloading passengers. It was a right royal PITA with only 200 trying to creep through the aisles and fight for overhead space ... now its going to get downright vile. I wonder if the fuel consumption per person is going down remarkably or not.

1 person likes this.
  3. Professur

Folk are only getting fatter.

4. HeXp£Øi±

HeXp£Øi± New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Somehow i doubt that they'll all look like this. More likely the inside will resemble the worlds largest sardine can.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax <b>mod cow</b>

made possible because of the use of GLARE :cool: a dutch composite material, which i also worked on :D

6. unclehobart

unclehobart New Member

If you guys make composite material half as good as you brew beer... I'm sold.

7. Inkara1

Inkara1 Well-Known Member

I thought Prof said they superceded a design from the '60s. Those pictures look like 1960s design to me. :eek6:

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Those interior shots look like something from 2001: A Space Odyssey. :lloyd:

9. IDLEchild

IDLEchild Well-Known Member

Saw a whole "making of" special on Discovery channel a long time ago...those engines are something fierce.

and that first class looks to die for.

10. Gato_Solo

Gato_Solo Out-freaking-standing OTC member

The only thing that makes airlines viable is butts in seats. Those pictures look nice, but the prices for seats on an aircraft configured like that would make the Concorde seats look cheap. It's going to be a nightmare in the coach section...and that's the pretty picture.

11. unclehobart

unclehobart New Member

I heard a news report on it this morning. They claim twice as many aisles, wider seats, all seats will be coach, 20% cost savings overall with the new design. The main problem is that the 50 largest airports are forking over serious cash retooling to accept this beastie.

12. Gato_Solo

They'd have to just to break even on a plane that size. As for the airports...I sense a serious problem ahead. Kennedy, LaGuardia, BWI, O'Hare, Atlanta, LAX, and SEA-TAC could probably come up with funding, but they'd also have to increase landing fees in order to support a behemoth of that size...

13. Gonz

Gonz molṑn labé Staff Member

AIR WAR!!!

Congratulations.

The 747 had no buyers and was cancelled. Hope you find somebody with deep pockets.

Source

14. Gato_Solo

BTW...Boeing, which owns Lockheed, could easily convert the C-5 platform to civilian use as a jumbo, and grab Airbus by the short-and-curlies. ;) Then again...at the rate those large-airframes cost to move...

[​IMG]

15. Kawaii

Kawaii Well-Known Member

They will obvoiusly be banned, since they can be used for terroist acts.

16. Gato_Solo

:alienhuh: Where did that come from? :confused:

17. Sharky

Sharky New Member

The A380's flight deck. Kewl.

[​IMG]

18. PT

PT Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite

It always cracks me up to see those. You dive in the water. Ok. Do you really think that life vest in the back of your seat is going to save your ass? I'm thinking a barbed wire netting should fall, at least then you know where everyone was.

19. Professur

And the world's largest tub of shit takes wing

20. HomeLAN

HomeLAN New Member

Re: And the world's largest tub of shit takes wing

Hartsfield-Jackson can't even take one. JFK will have to re-route and possibly rebuild taxiways. Heathrow is looking at upwards of $700 MILLION to do the type of thing JFK is looking at.

Yet, there are orders for 140 of the things.