• Yes

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Professur

Arguing for the sake or arguing more like. Anyone who wants to actually try it out, go get a balloon, a rollerskate, a treadmill, a wrapping paper tube and a 2 liter coke bottle. Strap the skate to the bottle, split the tube and close the open end with some construction paper, and strap that to the other side of the bottle. Shove the balloon into the coke bottle and blow it up. Stick the whole mess on the treadmill and start it. Let the air out of the balloon and enjoy.

Nonsense. Obviously none of you have any Christmas shopping left to worry about.

MrBishop

How about another?

The Bird in the Bus

A school bus (40' long) is moving along a road at 50kph. It has two open windows (one front and one back).
A canary is flying alongside the bus. There is no wind. The bird is also going 50kph. The canary edges sideways until it enters the bus.

What happens to the bird? Does it shoot forward? Remain stationary relative to the bus? Go backwards?

BB

let's assume it is on drugs.

is there any bird seed on the seat? (this may be important ...)

... laden or unladen :D (canary or Swallow)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Since the jet engines aren't providing power to the wheels, it should take off.

I'm not reading 3 pages of physics lectures :p
However, since the TSA is in charge of security, I'll drive. Thanks anyway.

chcr

Too cute for words
Nope. Birds always poop on takeoff, not landing.

Actually, AFAIK (and I wonder why I know it) birds have no control over defacatory functions. This dovetails (har, har) nicely in to Prof's factoid in that it would make sense that at take off the pird would leave it's droppings behind, as it were.

Professur

I've had several birds. While they crap pretty much whenever and wherever, the rule was if they had a crap to do, it would get squeezed out when they jumped up at takeoff. It would be good to hear from Kruz on the issue. He's got a lot of large birds and I'm sure the evidence (pun intended) is evident to him.

tonksy

Actually, AFAIK (and I wonder why I know it) birds have no control over defacatory functions. This dovetails (har, har) nicely in to Prof's factoid in that it would make sense that at take off the pird would leave it's droppings behind, as it were.

attachment.php

Inkara1

I always thought it dodn't seem to matter what was going on when they pooped. I've seen birds poop mid-flight many a time. I'd imagine they would be less inclined to poop when landing, though, as compared to taking off.