Alan Greenspan attacks Bush over economy

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
""....My view is that Saddam, looking over his 30-year history, very clearly was giving evidence of moving towards controlling the Straits of Hormuz, where there are 17, 18, 19 million barrels a day passing through," Greenspan said. "

and that is THE reason for the war. not that 'ties with al quada' and 'WMD' mumbo-jumbo.

but hey, gotta sell it to the lap-it-up masses, and you need some intrigue and sensationalizm for that, not just boring old economic reality!

Tell ya what, Peggy. Since you're morally opposed to fighting a war to secure our oil supply, how about me and you just make one another happy? Whaddaya say? You just quit using all petroleum products cold turkey, and take the money you spent on them and mail it to me so I can keep using them. That way, your hands wouldn't have oil blood on them and mine could be elbow deep in it. You can skateboard where ever you go, rely on 100% solar panels to heat and cool your home, completely eschew every oil-driven function in your life. I, meanwhile, can continue fucking up the ozone at an even faster rate than I already do, PLUS when Achnad Mibijibidipishitti starts whining about racial profiling you may smugly send his sand-flea riddled ass my way. We both win.

I for one have zero problem flooding the streets of Baghdad with blood if it means securing our energy needs. Since you do, just quit using it so your conscience can rest easier. Seems simple to me.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll PM you the address you can mail that monthly "blood money" check to. K?

2minkey

bootlicker
Tell ya what, Peggy. Since you're morally opposed to fighting a war to secure our oil supply, how about me and you just make one another happy? Whaddaya say? You just quit using all petroleum products cold turkey, and take the money you spent on them and mail it to me so I can keep using them. That way, your hands wouldn't have oil blood on them and mine could be elbow deep in it. You can skateboard where ever you go, rely on 100% solar panels to heat and cool your home, completely eschew every oil-driven function in your life. I, meanwhile, can continue fucking up the ozone at an even faster rate than I already do, PLUS when Achnad Mibijibidipishitti starts whining about racial profiling you may smugly send his sand-flea riddled ass my way. We both win.

I for one have zero problem flooding the streets of Baghdad with blood if it means securing our energy needs. Since you do, just quit using it so your conscience can rest easier. Seems simple to me.

Let me know when you're ready and I'll PM you the address you can mail that monthly "blood money" check to. K?

that's one of the funniest responses i've read in a long time. :grinyes:

i'm not morally opposed to the war in the sense that it is about securing oil. not one bit. war is and always will be about economy, with energy being (increasingly) critical in superduper economic functioning.

i'm just bored of the ideological grandstanding and hogwash. time to call a spade a spade. i'm also quite disappointed that the war was so poorly planned (under-resourced), to where we're going to end up spending at least $500 billion taxpayer dollars on something with negligible returns. now i truly hope i'm wrong and that those "whichever way the wind is blowing" fuckers in iraq suddenly, magically, become vertebrates and get their shit together, and that the >$500bil will mature as a decent investment. i'm just not that inclined to believe that it will, given the track record.

so, at the end of the day, i'm not feeling all that rah rah sis boom bah about an economic venture that apparently fails to consider, fully, say, economics.

and i'm not sure i'd be too upset if some more 'civilians' ended up under tank treads if it increased the likelyhood of a better ROI.

now where'd you want me to send them flea bombs?

Cerise

and that is THE reason for the war. not that 'ties with al quada' and 'WMD' mumbo-jumbo.

To stop Saddam from laying his filthy hands on that much oil?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/16/AR2007091601287_pf.html

Greenspan said disruption of even 3 to 4 million barrels a day could translate into oil prices as high as $120 a barrel -- far above even the recent highs of $80 set last week -- and the loss of anything more would mean "chaos" to the global economy.

Given that, "I'm saying taking Saddam out was essential," he said. But he added that he was not implying that the war was an oil grab.

"No, no, no," he said. Getting rid of Hussein achieved the purpose of "making certain that the existing system [of oil markets] continues to work, frankly, until we find other [energy supplies], which ultimately we will.

That, but also to eventually take out Iran's ability to control the region.

Winky

yeah also post 9-11 the grown-ups realized that you had to show the tin pot dictators that we'd be willing to come in and take over yer shiite if you din toe the line ya mofos

Hadji had to know we'd invade a middle-east country
if we deemed it Kosher

funny how Kaddafi got the message Huh?

tis ok liberals, sit down shut up let the big-folk
steer the car, yer to young to drive & too childish to speak

and stop hitting your sister!!!
don't make me stop this car!!!

I mean it !!!!1

catocom

me/ thinks of the possibilities of why Greenspan isn't being demonized like General Petraeus was*
Like he's somehow more credible.
I have several conclusions...:hmm:

2minkey

bootlicker
greenspan certainly is more credible when it comes to talking about economy.

with petraeus it's not so much demonizing as wondering how much stock to put in the idea that we're making progress. again, i reviewed the materials he presented. there is some movement in the charts he presented but - i can tell you this as someone who looks at that kind of data daily - it's not yet clear that it's anything more than mildly cyclical. we shall see. i hope he's right, but i'm not about to blindly follow... at that point might as well be 'carrying pictures of chairman mao.'

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Hussein paid Palestinians $25,000. to blow up Jews. Ties to terrosism (funny how alqaeda was in Florida but not in Iraq)

WMDs-he said he had 'em. That's enough.

Oil, yea, it was among the reasons. Why not? Without it, the 1st world becomes the thrid world in a hurry. A good reason to find other means & a better reason to dig in Alaska & the Gulf.

2minkey

bootlicker
you're confusing very marginal justifications with real reasons.

everybody in the middle east except israelis wanna blow up israelis. what's new? and you know as well as i do that the main thrust of that angle of justification had to do with repeated mentions of 9/11 and suggestions of a real, substantial link with al quada. which you refuse to acknowledge as the virtual ideological impossiblity it is between saddam + osama.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
i'm also quite disappointed that the war was so poorly planned (under-resourced), to where we're going to end up spending at least $500 billion taxpayer dollars on something with negligible returns. now i truly hope i'm wrong and that those "whichever way the wind is blowing" fuckers in iraq suddenly, magically, become vertebrates and get their shit together, and that the >$500bil will mature as a decent investment. i'm just not that inclined to believe that it will, given the track record.

Then lay the blame where it belongs. One group of people consistently use every method imaginable to cut the spending for this effort and more importantly for those risking life and limb to wage it. Fund those soldiers, get behind them 100%, give them the tools they need, and they'll be home before we know it. Faster than either inept party on the hill can make it happen, I wager.

If our congress (intentionally not capitalized) would spend the same dollars per soldier that they throw at medical and legal resources for one illegal immigrant, none of us would be having this discussion. But they don't.. Makes it fairly easy to see where their priorities lie...and where they don't.

catocom

WMDs-he said he had 'em. That's enough.

Hell some of them Were found.

It beats the hell out of me why people won't acknowledge what they did Indeed find.

Oh, that's right...because it wasn't tons of the stuff, that made it nonexistent all together.

Not directed at you Gonz, I just used your quote to throw the rant to
those who don't remember, or just didn't believe it.

catocom

with petraeus it's not so much demonizing as wondering how much stock to put in the idea that we're making progress. again, i reviewed the materials he presented. there is some movement in the charts he presented but - i can tell you this as someone who looks at that kind of data daily - it's not yet clear that it's anything more than mildly cyclical. we shall see. i hope he's right, but i'm not about to blindly follow... at that point might as well be 'carrying pictures of chairman mao.'

so Greenspan is more credible on the economy, than Petraeus is on war IYO.

I don't see it. IMO both are just as credible in there respective fields.
IMO the Gen, more-so. Less Reason to manipulate the true.
I'm sure, like most Soldiers the Gen would love to come home, or work
on less strenuous operations, but that isn't what he feels is the best for his family, and thus the country.

I have no Idea wht Greespans motivations might be. For all I know He's
telling it like he thinks it is, OTOH, he maybe looking for a spot in the UN.:shrug:
I personally believe he saw/sees the coming Depression, and is trying to distance
himself from any blame for it, now, to look more credible when it Really hits hard.
I believe that's why he got out.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
everybody in the middle east except israelis wanna blow up israelis.

True. Yet only one was paying them to follow through.

I didn't listen to a lot of stuff during the run up. I read a lot of stuff. The link between Iraq & 9/11 was limited at best. The majority looking for reasons to link them found it but in reality, it was minimal.

2minkey

bootlicker
Then lay the blame where it belongs. One group of people consistently use every method imaginable to cut the spending for this effort and more importantly for those risking life and limb to wage it. Fund those soldiers, get behind them 100%, give them the tools they need, and they'll be home before we know it. Faster than either inept party on the hill can make it happen, I wager.

If our congress (intentionally not capitalized) would spend the same dollars per soldier that they throw at medical and legal resources for one illegal immigrant, none of us would be having this discussion. But they don't.. Makes it fairly easy to see where their priorities lie...and where they don't.

so, lemme majke sure i understand this. we should blame the folks that are getting whiney now, and not the folks that began this thing only allocating fifty cents for dogfood for the iditarod?

i'd be all for spending more per soldier. it would be really nice, say, if they had sent 'em over with OEM instead of ass-contractor pistol magazines. it would be nice if soldiers were not having to spend their own money on rifle glass. it would be great if.... well i'm sure there's a thousand "great ifs."

i don't know how much is spent on each immigrant but that's not really the point nor is it my concern; it's just a deflection. but i'd be interested to see some figures on that from a relatively disinterested source if you've the motivation to dig. there's got to be a hundred and ninety-seven other instances of either pork or just pure bullshit spending that coulda been allocated to soldiers, and i'd be all for that.

nah, i'm not fond of those congressional democrats. not at all. but, again, their after-the-fact pissing isn't the real issue in my mind. just a distraction. yep, in my mind it's the pussies that planned the shitcan that didn't have the backbone to spend enough - in $$ or in iraqi blood - to execute the war in the way i'll bet military commanders woulda ideally done it. now i'm sure gato will chime in wiht something like "that's the way it's always been." and that's fine. athlete's foot has always itched. don't mean i have to like it.

2minkey

bootlicker
True. Yet only one was paying them to follow through.

you seriously can't think that's the only money trail. syria, our friends the saudis, gotta be some coming from egypt (the original birthplace of the precursor to al quada), jordan, iran, prolly some in pakistan...

I didn't listen to a lot of stuff during the run up. I read a lot of stuff. The link between Iraq & 9/11 was limited at best. The majority looking for reasons to link them found it but in reality, it was minimal.

thank you for that.

it's truly amazing to me how many simply don't understand the vast gulf between the secularist baathists and osama's wet dream of a dictatorial theocracy. but i guess they don't want to understand. they prefer pom poms, banners, and bunting.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well, minkey, I ain't inclined to dig, because it'd flat out ruin my blood pressure to read all the pork barrel crap from both sides of the aisle. So I just avoid it when I can.

I'm not naive to think that such spending will ever be eliminated. No matter who sits in the chair. I'll say this , though. I'd refer to see $100 million in pork over $5 for a Band-Aid on an illegal immigrant's forehead. Call me what you will...if it's gonna be spent, spend it on a taxpayer.

Cerise

Progress:

al Queda is running from Baghdad like rats from a burning ship and violence has been cut in half.

http://patdollard.com/2007/09/20/al-qaeda-fleeing-iraq-violence-plummeting/

Ramadi has gone from the most violent city in Iraq to one of the safest.

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001514.html
http://www.michaeltotten.com/

Cerise

Yeah, I can see how you wouldn't believe what

The US Military

The Iraqi Military

An independant correspondent who has been imbedded with Army and Marine troops in Iraq

says, but you'd usually run to embrace a contribution by the liberal-biased Associated Press. Oh, wait. So sorry. I guess that story didn't have the usual America-bashing theme to it. I can see why you don't like it.